Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

NO A/C problem, please help! EDIT: tC owners please read!

Old 07-06-2009, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default NO A/C problem, please help! EDIT: tC owners please read!

i need some help, apparently my A/C is not working. there is air coming out but no a/c. i checked the fuses and they are just fine. i also checked if there was still freon and there was. anyone has any advise of what the problem is? any tc owners step upon this problem?

also my friend tested to see if the a/c switch is working properly and it "seemed" fine but the A/C clutch wire did not power itself up, though he assumed the wire may just be a ground wire. does anyone know where i can find the A/C diagram? i think a diagram would really help to test out those "seemed" parts.

THANKS!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

No warranty?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

108k miles already. no
Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also testing the A/C clutch wire seems to NOT power up there for my A/C compressor wont power up! but i cant tell if the A/C clutch is a wire for the ground... anyone know where i can get a diagram for the A/C system?

i pray my AC compressor is not broken already... thats a 1000 bucks to replace at the shops and over a half a grand to DIY along with MORE stuff to get the s h i t running!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
also testing the A/C clutch wire seems to NOT power up there for my A/C compressor wont power up! but i cant tell if the A/C clutch is a wire for the ground... anyone know where i can get a diagram for the A/C system?

i pray my AC compressor is not broken already... thats a 1000 bucks to replace at the shops and over a half a grand to DIY along with MORE stuff to get the s h i t running!!!!!!!
someone else (can find if you do a search) had this problem, turned out the clutch was bad. But they were able to get a compressor off a salvage tC at a junkyard. His a/c is great, maybe paid $200 for the compressor and clutch (all in one). might want to look at that instead of brand new.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like i found the issue and will be fixing it within the following week. A/C clutch is bad, i've let technicians and the dealer to look for the problem. ofcourse the dealership rather want me to change the entire A/C system for 2 grand though the funny part is the service employee was BSing but i spoke to their technician (who apparently cant speak english too well;very odd) and he says mainly the a/c clutch is bad. the tech predicted if i just change the a/c clutch the a/c may only work for a week or 2. he also predicted the ac compressor has a hole inside though theres no proof to show me, and it felt like a lie because he seemed cautious of what he was saying in front of the service employee......

but tech told me some important info for this issue which i think everyone in this forum should check upon is that my aftermarket headers is the problem my ac clutch went bad. since i live in GA, the weather gets NASTY hot where days get 104 degrees and humidity on top of that so the engine bay gets EXTRA EXTRA hot and as results no AC. and the heat can do some seious damage, i had to replace my headlight bulbs for leaving it on in this cities HOT weather a few times and also been through 4 radar detectors just because of HEAT damage. with the AC clutch broken thats a slap in the face!

so what im gonna do is re-THERMO WRAP my headers again because those things do drastically reduce the temperture in the engine bay. i took them off cause people warned about headers cracking. BUT i rather sacrifice my 300 dollar headers then my 2 grand a/c!

so people with aftermarket headers i suggest you guys should play it safe with either thermo-wrapping ur headers or keep the stock because the HEAT-SHIELD is tthere for a reason!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ glad you found the problem.. The other member who had a/c problems found out it was the clutch that went bad too.

and another car that had problems with underhood heat and the a/c compressor was the previous generation Honda CR-V. It wasn't just rocks smashing into it, lol It was also the under hood heat.

Smart idea to wrap those pipes. Thanks for the update!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

if you feel like saving some money i have all the A/C parts from my car.
id be willing to sell you whatever you need.
all the parts only have around 10K on them, barely used at all.

let me know if your interested.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:43 AM

oh no!! my A/C just gave up today.... live in AZ so today was about 110 degrees and i have headers! could the headers be the cause? what am i going to be looking at price range? and what parts? thx