Notices
Regional - Canada AB, BC, MB, NB, NL, NT, NS, NU, ON, PE, QC, SK, YT

tc in the winter

Old 10-26-2011, 11:43 PM

Default tc in the winter

just picked up my tc in aug.anybody know how the car is in the snow!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get winter tires. The stock Toyo's are not going to perform very well in the Winter time

With ABS, Traction, and other features we should be alright. But winter tires makes the biggest difference when it comes to the Winter time.

Plus Canadian tC models get the rear wiper which is awesome for the rain and snow!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If their anything like the tc1 they suck it hard in the snow. My stock tires were terrible. Got continental extremecontact dws for this winter. Hopefully their better. But im not expecting much cause I just went turbo so im gonna have no traction no matter what I do...

I just went real slow when I was NA on the stock tires

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2011, 02:48 PM

I had my first experience with my tC just the other day, it was fine; However that was barley any snow and i Was already slipping turns, highly suggested to purchase some winter tires (Unless you turn Traction OFF on purpose at the track, THEN your regular Toyo would be fine =P )
Old 11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
SL Member

Also be careful of the rear wiper arm, mine just stripped itself pushing alittle bit of snow
Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea wipers aren't meant to push a lot of snow off the glass. Always have a brush handy to clear that glass yourself.

And if you like snow drifting then the stock Toyo's are awesome in the winter
Old 11-08-2011, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Best thing to do with a tC in the winter.........leave it there.

Name:  IMG_2092.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  59.2 KB
Old 12-07-2011, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive got mine lowered on TRD's and blizzaks (bridgestone) and i stop fine and have had almost no issues. stocks dont cut it in Ottawa thats for sure!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wrecked last year. almost flipped. worst winter car i've had yet but oh well. i still love her. drive slow and get winter tires you'll be ok.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Erager09
If their anything like the tc1 they suck it hard in the snow. My stock tires were terrible. Got continental extremecontact dws for this winter. Hopefully their better. But im not expecting much cause I just went turbo so im gonna have no traction no matter what I do...

I just went real slow when I was NA on the stock tires

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
They only suck hard because you keep buying no-season tires.

Winters are REQUIRED if you want to actually perform well in the WINTER.

I have Blizzak WS70's on my car and I'm lowered with TRD springs, sways, brakes, etc. Absolutely zero issues and this is winter number two in the car.

Remember, the only thing that touches the ground is the tire. The rest of your car is as useful or as useless as the tires you equip it with...
Old 12-29-2011, 04:53 PM

I'm in MTL.

The stock tires are useless when theres snow/ice on the ground. Don't even bother.

I have brand new Michelin X-ice Xi2.

Even with the winter tires, the traction control/stability control is way too intrusive. Just accelerating slowly from a stop, it'll go on.

Even with the traction control off, it still automatically comes back on at speeds over 25kmh. You can turn it off completely by holding down the button for like 5 seconds or something, but you can only turn it off while stopped and with the handbrake up.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i never had issues with my tc in the snow after i got it and was on the factory bridgestones, but also wasnt lowered yet
Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the traction control does help though. No use in spinning the tires so it slows it down to get traction.

Not sure why you would turn this off in the winter?

And I too got the Xi2. I have been driving around with them since mid-November so they were all worked up for the snow that finally came down these past few days in Toronto. Traction light has come on a few times but so far it's remained off. On AT cars if you take off and the Eco light turns on you know that you aren't pressing the gas pedal hard enough so no issues with traction

Another issue I have been noticing is the loud noise all the ice makes on the glass roof when you go over bumps. But yea this car has zero sound insulation so we hear everything... LOL

So far so good with my tC this winter. The rear defogger and side mirrors clear up in a couple few minutes. The engine warms up quickly so once the green C light goes off then turn the HVAC to 4 and it can clear that windshield in a few mins. Although I have seen cars do it much faster.
My rear wiper screw became loose because I stupidly forgot it on overnight and when I started the car the next morning it kept wiping and the screw became loose because the wiper blade was frozen and it couldn't move

Otherwise so far so good!

Last edited by dm1336; 12-30-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fromage
I'm in MTL.

The stock tires are useless when theres snow/ice on the ground. Don't even bother.

I have brand new Michelin X-ice Xi2.

Even with the winter tires, the traction control/stability control is way too intrusive. Just accelerating slowly from a stop, it'll go on.

Even with the traction control off, it still automatically comes back on at speeds over 25kmh. You can turn it off completely by holding down the button for like 5 seconds or something, but you can only turn it off while stopped and with the handbrake up.
You have a heavy foot then. On sheer ice I don't even have that issue, but everyone drives different.

FYI, you don't need to have the handbrake engaged to turn off traction/stability completely. Only need to be stopped.

Originally Posted by dm1336
Well the traction control does help though. No use in spinning the tires so it slows it down to get traction.

Not sure why you would turn this off in the winter?

And I too got the Xi2. I have been driving around with them since mid-November so they were all worked up for the snow that finally came down these past few days in Toronto. Traction light has come on a few times but so far it's remained off. On AT cars if you take off and the Eco light turns on you know that you aren't pressing the gas pedal hard enough so no issues with traction

Another issue I have been noticing is the loud noise all the ice makes on the glass roof when you go over bumps. But yea this car has zero sound insulation so we hear everything... LOL

So far so good with my tC this winter. The rear defogger and side mirrors clear up in a couple few minutes. The engine warms up quickly so once the green C light goes off then turn the HVAC to 4 and it can clear that windshield in a few mins. Although I have seen cars do it much faster.
My rear wiper screw became loose because I stupidly forgot it on overnight and when I started the car the next morning it kept wiping and the screw became loose because the wiper blade was frozen and it couldn't move

Otherwise so far so good!
You turn it off when it limits you from actually driving in the conditions. Say, if you get stuck and need the tires to spin a little. Sometimes traction control does get in the way. But I'll admit it's better to have it than not.

As far as the little "green C", don't let the car just idle warming up. That's not good for it. A car will warm up best when driven. It only needs about 30sec to get the oil in the heads (actually less, but 30sec is a good buffer). Once the oil is in the engine, driving it at low speeds will cause the vehicle to warm up faster. Running the fans at higher speeds during this time has no effect.

Just FYI.

Good to see so many other tC2 owners out there rockin snow tires! If only the rest of this damn city would figure out that traction goes both ways, we'd all be better off!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just made the drive from ottawa to mont. tremblant and during the drive a couple times the tractions control def go in the way. other than that i havent had much of a problem.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My tc is lowered on s-techs. I got 15' rims with blizzaks on them. I'm really pleased with the performance in the snow. Acceleration is a no problem, turning is nice (sometimes got to help myslef with the e-brake to wip the car around), braking is not wonderful but it's OK. If you live in an arear that gets a lot of snow always keep a shovel, salt , and wheel chains. I'm in the chicago area so im' berfectly fin with what i got.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:00 AM

Didn't know 15" will fit on the tC2, I thought my 16" is tight fit enough.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^He has a 1st gen. A 16" wheel is the smallest that will fit on a 2nd gen.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 AM

^ ok that make sense lol