Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Fan blower noise?

Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fan blower noise?

I noticed a few weeks ago that when I put on the fan blowers, I get an "off" noise. Kind of like a choppy whine or something, hard to explain. The fan works fine, just this noise that has started. What might this be? And would it be expensive to get repaired or is it something I should not worry about (or can do it myself?)

I know my description is bland, but it almost sounds like the fan is rubbing on something or is out of balance. Faint clicking noises as it runs. But it also has an electric type of whine to it.

Appreciate any help!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it sounds like a leaf or something fell into the fan and is hittin the fan blades. open the cabin filter cover behind the glove box and see if there is anything in there.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did look up there but did not see anything. But I did not see the fan directly though. Ill have to take another look and see.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took a look again and this time took out the blower fan motor. It is clean of any debris, and when powered on by itself it is making the noise. It still runs fine, but almost sounds like it needs lubrication or something by the bearing of the fan itself.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Mine does the same.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ordered a replacement blower from Toyota Parts Zone... They beat TRD Sparks price by $12 or so. Need the cheapest I can get! Cost $128 shipped to my door. My local dealer wanted $175 + tax for this part!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

My sanity isn't worth that price, nor the time to install. I'll just turn my stereo up.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Time? It takes five minutes, at most. Three screws hold the blower motor in under the glove compartment. You do not even have to remove panels or anything. Unplug the two electrical connections, unscrew the three screws, remove, replace, plug in.

Its actually very easy. And you can get used motors from junkyards for $60-70. I just like the brand new piece of mind. Plus, $120 is really not that bad. My first "repair" on this car reaching 50K. I am going to try and fix the one in there now before I open the new one though. If I can fix it, ill send it back. I just don't want to break it and be stuck with no replacement part.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Invertalon
Time? It takes five minutes, at most. Three screws hold the blower motor in under the glove compartment. You do not even have to remove panels or anything. Unplug the two electrical connections, unscrew the three screws, remove, replace, plug in.

Its actually very easy. And you can get used motors from junkyards for $60-70. I just like the brand new piece of mind. Plus, $120 is really not that bad. My first "repair" on this car reaching 50K. I am going to try and fix the one in there now before I open the new one though. If I can fix it, ill send it back. I just don't want to break it and be stuck with no replacement part.

After just doing this, there is NO WAY this takes 5 minutes! You have to take the glove box out, the Computer and computer cover off, then you have to take the Motor Cover off. This consists of 4 screws (1 of which is almost hidden in the back! (there are a few others look like they are part of getting this cover out, but they are not. Once you get the 4 screws out, then you have to pull off the retaining clip (this is on the right side (passenger a pillar side that looks like almost a banana type clip). Once you get those out and pull the computer and the cover out of the way, you can now remove the 3 screws that are holding the blower motor in. Now you put everything back and if it is all lined up correctly, you are done. But you have to be a contortionist just to get under in this area to begin with. Still cheaper than having the dealer do it, but not a 5 minute job if you don't know what you are looking for!!! I hope this helps someone else! Worth doing, but not as easy as it was stated.