Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Windex as Wiper Fluid

Old 07-20-2005, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Windex as Wiper Fluid

Will it hurt the car at all if you put windex in as your winshield whiper fluid.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what's a whiper? he he just kiddin...ummm i dont know if it would or not..read the bottle.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it will void the warranty
Old 07-20-2005, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you serious
Old 07-20-2005, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

everytime i use the whipers to clean the windshield it streaks, so I don't know if thats the fluid or the whipers....
Old 07-20-2005, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Huey
are you serious
I dont think he is. Unless it somehow damages your windshield wiper motor, and they narrow it down to your windex...then in that case it will not be covered under warranty..but it wont void your warranty completley.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

everytime i use the whipers to clean the windshield it streaks, so I don't know if thats the fluid or the whipers....
WIPERS WIPERS WIPERS! You are not WHIPPING the car now GET THOSE WHIPERS OUT OF THERE!! . LMAO!
Old 07-20-2005, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scoobyroo2002
WIPERS WIPERS WIPERS! You are not WHIPPING the car now GET THOSE WHIPERS OUT OF THERE!! . LMAO!
Old 07-20-2005, 06:51 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

omfg..... don't whip your car... and don't use windex either.....

got it? NO WINDEX! geez.... if you wanna screw up your car.. that's fine with me.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should just treat your windshield with Rain-X or something similar.
I treated mine with what must be the last unused "Vision Blade" windshield treatment kit in the world, formerly made by STP. Many agree that it was and still is the best and longest lasting windshield treatment ever made . STP stopped making the product years ago, and I just happen to have one I bought for my previous car just sitting around for the last five years, unused. I treated all the glass on the car, including the glass roof with the stuff, and water just magicall rolls off with no streaks or stains. It's supposed to last at least six months and I believe it from what I remember with my old car.
Can anyone out there tell me what I should get after six months that will work as well as the Vision Blade??? Or does anyone out there have or know of a hidden stash of the stuff to sell to us?

Chombi
Old 07-20-2005, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've tried rainx, hard to apply, but really good when you get it to work. bad part is that you have to be going fast for it to run off. so if it drizzles, you will have little spots on your windshield. you could use the wipers, but then that would streak it, since you have a layer of rainx on your glass. think of it as waxing your windshield.

windex is bad, since its not very diluted like regular window washing fluid. overtime, you will notice a film around the area the wipers didn't wipe off.

i've had my tc for more than 4 months, 6k miles, and have made several trips on the expressway (4 hr trips = many bugs, etc) and i've never had problems with my wipers.

if its streaking, make sure the blade in the wiper is clean. take a napkin, and clean the blade off. it is so simple. gotta be the easiest maintenance you can do on your car.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They sell liquid rain X in a little bottle. I just add some into the washer fluid. Worked really well for me.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by epitek

windex is bad, since its not very diluted like regular window washing fluid. overtime, you will notice a film around the area the wipers didn't wipe off.
Not only that, but it would also be the most expensive wiper fluid known to man. Think of the $/fl oz.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

moved...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on top of it being expensive, Windex contains ammonia, which could damage the plastic and rubber parts on your car should there be any that gets on them.

Rain-X is good, but like someone said, it will streak if you do use your wipers at low speeds - some people have even said that Rain-X ruins their wiper blades.

My suggestion would be to replace your wiper blades first, they cost less than $10 per for most brands. Try it out and see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Rain-X sells wiper fluid with Rain-X in it already. They have a couple varieties. There's a winter formula, a bug formula (makes them easier to clean off) and at least one more. The beading effect is far, far less pronounced than if you do the full treatment with the real stuff, but it does help.

Originally Posted by epitek
I've tried rainx, hard to apply, but really good when you get it to work. bad part is that you have to be going fast for it to run off. so if it drizzles, you will have little spots on your windshield. you could use the wipers, but then that would streak it, since you have a layer of rainx on your glass. think of it as waxing your windshield.
I really don't think this stuff is tough to apply. If you are having trouble, you might consider the Rain-X glass treatment wipes. I have used them and they work well. I am not sure what you mean by "that would streak it" just because you have Rain-X applied. I keep mine heavily Rain-X'd, and use my wipers regularly while stopped, when the rain is just misting, etc. I don't think that by aplying Rain-X you are entitled to throw away your wipers. The Rain-X just beads up the water, which allows either the wipers or wind to remove the water.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well besides possibly affecting plastic and rubber parts . I think the amonia (spelling) in the windex would have affects on paint and the wax and polish you put on it . like the others said check your blades and maybe go the rainex route but dont use the windex
Old 07-20-2005, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use the RainX/Wiper Fluid and it works pretty well... I was skeptical at first because I wasn't impressed with the regular RainX treatment... it worked fine for a little while, but if you didn't re-treat it every so often it would streak ten times worst then before the treatment. The wiper fluid fixes that, because it basically treats your window every time you use the windshield wiper fluid, so it stays pretty treated. The RainX Fluid I use is an orange color, for those looking for it.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you even though about it freezing inside of the tube and thus the potential damage??
~Omar
Old 07-20-2005, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can treat your windshield (all your glass - inside and out) with "anti-static/crt clearner. The same stuff you clean comp screens with.
It helps prevent interior fogging as well as makes the windshield 'cleaner'
You'll notice the difference.
I've used two different industrial use products of which I sold/sell. I suspect the over the counter stuff will work just as well. Use it just like aerosol glass cleaner - only less. It doesn't take a lot. Just a stripe down or across each side - then rub and rub until it feels really dry. I suggest paper towels verses a cloth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windex as Wiper Fluid