Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Parking Brake adjustment?

Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Parking Brake adjustment?

Hey guys
Been searching around but couldn't find anything. I switched my brakes and rotors yesterday it was time to do it! anyways my parking brake really doesn't hold the car very well anymore.
Is adjusting the cams on the rear brakes the only way to adjust them or is there another adjustment on the cable somewhere like under the center console?
I didn't want to adjust the cams in the back anymore because don't know if that's right or if I am just burning up the shoes.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-03-2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.ehow.com/how_2188534_adju...ncy-brake.html

Assuming you mean the ebrake. The parking brake is actually part of auto transmission.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should be adjusting them at the brakes first. If your shoes are bad, replace them and then adjust. You can make an adjustment at the actual handle, but you should be adjusting at the brakes first like I said.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you cant adjust it from the brakes

take off your center console, beside the E brake lever there is a lock nut and bolt. pull the e brake up to where you want it to be at full. loosen the lock nut on top and tighten the bottom nut until it is tight.

and your done
Old 12-06-2009, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah thanks guys I find the adjustment on the handle and it good now. my shoes arnt worn out I just put new rotors on and I inspected them while they were off.
Thanks for the help!

Chris
Old 12-06-2009, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blue_TC_Man

take off your center console, beside the E brake lever there is a lock nut and bolt. pull the e brake up to where you want it to be at full. loosen the lock nut on top and tighten the bottom nut until it is tight.

and your done
then explain how i tightened mine up from my rear brakes and it magically worked
Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gingles
then explain how i tightened mine up from my rear brakes and it magically worked
Rear brake adjustment moves the shoes your not adjusting the handle like you should be.

The adjustment in the back is for adjusting new shoes to proper fitment, once they start to wear proper adjustment of the ebrake should be from shortening the cable which is at the lever.

If you do it from the back breaks you cant get it as accurate since you have to take the drum off to adjust them.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-03-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 12-07-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You dont have to take the drum off to adjust the shoes. There is a rubber plug you take off that is on the side on the drum. Then slide the drum around untill you see the adjustment cam. Then take a little stight screw driver and turn it to put pressure on the drum.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rear brake adjustment moves the shoes your not adjusting the handle like you should be.

The adjustment in the back is for adjusting new shoes to proper fitment, once they start to wear proper adjustment of the ebrake should be from shortening the cable which is at the lever.

If you do it from the back breaks you cant get it as accurate since you have to take the drum off to adjust them.
I disagree.

If you're adjusting at the drum and making the shoes fit better, you have to pull less on the handle. This would be normal with regular shoe wear over time... and it wouldn't hurt to take your rotor off and have a look at the shoes. You may skipping the adjustment at the drum and not know your shoes are super low - which would require the adjustment in the first place.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know what toyota told me, as well as Mitchells. Standard practice on on vehicals with an adjustable ebrake, is you only use the star wheel to adjust when your replacing shoes or cleaning the drum. Otherwise you adjust the cable. And thats what toyota told us when my shop called them about correct adjustment, and what our mitchells database says
Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well then what happens when you cant adjust anymore from the ebrake cable eh? oh yea the shoes.....ill stick to what i know and you can do your think
Old 12-07-2009, 03:12 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

And thats what toyota told us when my shop called them about correct adjustment, and what our mitchells database says
mitchells database?

i think i'll follow TIS instead... used by Toyota mechanics.. (well, supposed to be used by Toyota mechanics anyway..)

you adjust at the brakes first and fine tune the cable if necessary. case closed. you can't argue since you just said..
and there are plenty of people that will argue otherwise.

but i'll just leave people to do whatever they want.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea there only so much u can adjust from inside the center console.....after adjusting it 3 weeks later it was back to loose, i then did it from the actual rear rotors through the grommet and ever since last year now after just 3 clicks of the ebrake i can stay on almost any hill its that good
Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he asked about adjusting the lever, which you can not do from the brakes. Some cars you can adjust the cable from the ebrake drum. And if your adjustment from the lever wont hold tight and you have to adjust the star wheel out its time for new shoes. But this is an opinion thing I guess
Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didnt see anywhere where he asked about adjusting the lever...the op didnt even know you could adjust it from the lever
Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he says specifically he doesn't want to adjust from the starwheel anymore and asked how to adjust the cable. Hence my response that you can't adjust the cable from the rear you have to do it at the lever.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:23 PM

Adjusting by the star wheel or at the lever both push the shoes closer to the drum. The star wheel is the main adjustment. The lever (cable) adjustment is only supposed to compensate for a stretched cable.