Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xD Water pump replacement

Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 PM

Default xD Water pump replacement

First a hello and thanks for any help. This is the wifes car and I need to replace the WP. Car has 61,000 miles so out of warrenty. The manual says to pull the motor someone please tell me that's not true.
My user name comes from the fact that at 6'6" and 300lb I really just don't fit the car. I saw the post's and You Tube vieo's for pulling the xB WP. I searched for the same on the xD and keep coming up empty.

Thanks again for any thoughts and help.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-17-2017 at 05:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 PM

Of course having said all the above I read the post just before this one and see the same question. Thats the kind of day I'm having. Not to mention the fussing from the wife for not having gotten the car to the dealer before the warrenty expired. It was in for an oil change at 59k and some change, and was making the noise then. They didn't say anything, she didn't remind me so of course it's all my fault. And yeah I was quoted a $953.00 hit.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Before they replace it, direct them to this post and show them the problems associated with the water pump and that other dealers are fixing them out of warranty for other owners...May work for you?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:46 PM

Thanks but they won't pony up. I will be doing the work this weekend and am determined to not pull the blasted motor. Picked up the Aisin replacement pump last night--$63.00 at Bap Geon. Dealer $127.00
Old 11-17-2011, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

That sucks! Good luck...
Old 11-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Well you don't have to pull the motor! Closing things up now. The parts store just sold me Dexcool it says for GM vehicles. Anyone know if this is the right anti freeze and will it mix with the origional Toyota fill? Took some pics will do a little write up if y'all want me too.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since this is a pretty common problem, i bet someone out of warranty would love a write up lol.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2big4dxd
Well you don't have to pull the motor! Closing things up now. The parts store just sold me Dexcool it says for GM vehicles. Anyone know if this is the right anti freeze and will it mix with the origional Toyota fill? Took some pics will do a little write up if y'all want me too.
I would appreciate seeing some pics and getting some tips from your
install.. I'm sure other would be interested as well.. Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DO NOT MIX DEX COOL WITH YOUR CAR'S COOLANT SYSTEM. Either buy the OEM fluid or use Prestone coolant that is made for any make or model car (still recommend switching back to OE fluid when you have the chance).
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
DO NOT MIX DEX COOL WITH YOUR CAR'S COOLANT SYSTEM. Either buy the OEM fluid or use Prestone coolant that is made for any make or model car (still recommend switching back to OE fluid when you have the chance).
Thanks for the tip. I filtered what I had saved from the tear down and used that with a bit of water to get the level up. Then went to a dealer after work the next day to get the pink Toyota long life coolant. Will be taking the Dex cool back. Talked to a Toyota tech before I poured the Dex cool and he told me some horror stories about how corosive it is. I didn't get to talk to him before I started the job but he told me that no one pulls the engine for this replacement. I picked the coolant up from a different dealer and while I was there I asked one of the service writters how much to do the job and was quoted a "two hundred for the labor". I had not explained what had happened at his competitor. Seems like a fair price to me. I pulled the car in around 1:00 in the afternoon and was cleaned up and closing the door at 6:45. Not bad for never having worked on this car before I figure. Not sure if I can name dealers here. Would love to if I can. Added a couple of pics will try and do a write up soon. The pump view pics show something that really ____ed me off. The new Aisin replacement pump is on the left. The origional Aisin pump is on the right. The quality difference is very plain once you see them side by side. The origional is a stamped steel body where the replacement is a nice beefy alumimun housing the pully center is totaly different and who wants to bet that the bearing is a more stout design.
Attached Thumbnails xD Water pump replacement-frontfaciagone.jpg   xD Water pump replacement-origionalonthewayout.jpg   xD Water pump replacement-pumpview1.jpg   xD Water pump replacement-pumpview2.jpg  

Last edited by 2big4dxd; 11-27-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Added some pics
Old 11-28-2011, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the tip. I filtered what I had saved from the tear down and used that with a bit of water to get the level up. Then went to a dealer after work the next day to get the pink Toyota long life coolant. Will be taking the Dex cool back. Talked to a Toyota tech before I poured the Dex cool and he told me some horror stories about how corosive it is. I didn't get to talk to him before I started the job but he told me that no one pulls the engine for this replacement. I picked the coolant up from a different dealer and while I was there I asked one of the service writters how much to do the job and was quoted a "two hundred for the labor". I had not explained what had happened at his competitor. Seems like a fair price to me. I pulled the car in around 1:00 in the afternoon and was cleaned up and closing the door at 6:45. Not bad for never having worked on this car before I figure. Not sure if I can name dealers here. Would love to if I can. Added a couple of pics will try and do a write up soon. The pump view pics show something that really ____ed me off. The new Aisin replacement pump is on the left. The origional Aisin pump is on the right. The quality difference is very plain once you see them side by side. The origional is a stamped steel body where the replacement is a nice beefy alumimun housing the pully center is totaly different and who wants to bet that the bearing is a more stout design.
I'm sure this board is like most places in that as long as you do not trash talk the vendors their will be no issue. By all means list dealers (whether good or bad) so that other people will have a heads up before doing business with them. BTW what year is your xD?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 PM

2008 with just at 62000,00 miles. It does a 100 mile commute daily. Almost all on the interstate.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Figured, makes me wonder if Toyota made changes to the pump for later model years. You rarely hear about water pump failures on xD's made after 2008.

Last edited by CXTKRS1; 11-28-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:01 AM

Makes sense. My motto is nothing is ever easy!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Guys I'm having to replace my water pump today, and the issue I'm having now is being told that there was a TSB put out over a year ago to check/replace the water pump if they have an xD in for service at all! At least, this is how the woman at the dealership is explaining it to me... UGH! Some of the things that ____ me off, and that is a huge one! It may be more work, but just do it! So now I'm out for the pump, a belt, and the time it takes to fix it.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does she have the TSB reference number?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't see any tsb for the xd water pump when i searched. How did you get to the pump? Through the wheel well?
Old 12-17-2011, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What does it sound like if it's going out? Are there any signs of impending failure? How does the dealer check it? I have an '08 with 51K miles. I really don't go to the dealer for maintenance, but I'm paranoid about this going out.

I searched for a tsb also, and didn't find anything. I saw one for Corolla and Matrix (forgot which years though).
Old 12-17-2011, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sound is a groany rattle,may smell coolant burning. Tsb is 0048-09 covered under drivetrain warranty.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Mine was growling like a power steering pump. Thats what I thought it was at first. I pulled the front bumper cover, all of the plastic under cover, headlight and window wash unit. Kinda pulled the inner liner back and hooked it behind the tire. The bumper cover is held with little snap in kinda deal at the fenders. Did'nt completly remove alternator just the top bolt. The big bolt in the center of the motor mount does'nt have to come out. In fact the book says to not remove it. Oops to late for me. The mount will come off without pulling it. Once you have the mount out of the way the pump unbolts and comes right out. The Aisin replacement pump is wider overall than the origional - steel plate type anyhow. To get the new on in just drop the motor down a bit and it slides right in. Start a couple bolts and pick the motor back up and you are just about done. The belt needs to be fairly tight. I had to retighten ours after a days drive to work. It squeeled at startup. Seeing the TSB truly adds to my ____edoffedness with Toyota!!! Alldata list's it as SB0048-09R1

Priority Toyota of Chester, Va. gets no more of my money!
Haley Totota gets the nod for Quoting a legit price. Was told by service writer (a couple of hundred for labor) Makes them my new goto store!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: xD Water pump replacement