Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

200000 mile club

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:00 PM
SL Member

Default 200000 mile club

I know there is a "how much mileage" thread out there, but I thought this could be fun to show off our high mileage tc's.
Here's mine. 275k.

Name:  temp_zps2eb4c381.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  34.5 KB
Old 04-02-2014, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats, but it looks like your rear suspension has collapsed.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:11 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
Congrats, but it looks like your rear suspension has collapsed.
Thanks, you are correct,rear suspension is gone.Plan to repair with Tokico blues and H-techs in near future.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow 275k!! Is that on the original motor? If so then did you have to do any repairs?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by electrongeek
Wow 275k!! Is that on the original motor? If so then did you have to do any repairs?
Yes,
had 2 clutch repairs ,changed out the maf sensor,and "repaired" the cat. Also, have replaced the windshield,the passenger window and the roof deflector glass.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Subscribed. This is good to hear. My tC is my daily driver. 2010 and I just hit 110K. Still runs like a champ, all original everything but tires seem to go quickly and I go broke in alignments...
Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 PM
SL Member

racrboy, I feel ur pain on the tires.I'm commuting about 800 miles a week and go thru about a 1-1/2 sets of tires per year. I've tried many brands and never made much difference.Now,I just go with cheapo tires right now i'm riding FALKEN-OHTSU FP7000, not a bad tire for 67$.Do u have a mt or at?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Manual here. I currently am running a BFG, but the road noise is killer... Thank God the first thing I did was put in my Alpine system. It helps to numb the pain.

Currently doing the 100k song and dance, serp belt, all fluids, rotors, brake lines. Probably just for piece of mind more than anything else. But those tires......
Old 04-04-2014, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Subscribed.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:58 PM
SL Member

Just thought about another repair I had(and how could i forget). Broke 2 motor mounts one of them being the lower rear,and I don't have the words to describe how big of a pita it was. During my last clutch job I modified that (insert any bad words u can think of here) by welding nuts on the top side of it, made it much easier to get it back on.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member

Voodoo - interested in what year and transmission you've got. Good news for those of us with tC or shopping for one like me. Thanks Matt
Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 PM
SL Member

Wolfman,its a 2007 with manual trany. Bka the silver surfer.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What motor oil do you use?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:15 PM
SL Member

I've used a few but usually Valvoline Synthetic 5 w 20. Also, not to start a seafoam debate but I use it in everything I own, as a gas and oil treatment.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

wow 275k and the suspension "Decided" to go.. lol. That's a good, long time on the original! When did it really decided to go? What mileage?

And alignment, I've found rotating the tires at 2500 miles helped a lot in slowing down the wear! I've had Toyo, Pirelli, BFG, Yokohama, Nitto. Most of them were saying rotate them at 3500miles but I went with a lower number 2500 miles and the wear is a lot better! A good alignment doesn't hurt either.

What I found was something interesting. A lot will/could debate it with me but here goes. I found that the places that have an alignment rack on an adjustable scissors-type lift is not as accurate as the ones that have the rack in a pit. The pit type is non-adjustable and it seems that when the techs calibrate the alignment computer those distances are always the same to the lane, where on a scissors lift it can vary. I know I'll get people who argue it but do a little calculus IV (differential equations) with trigonometric functions over time and then see how those slight differences in distance can cause the alignment computer to compensate. Sure to the computer it's "close" but not EXACT.

So when I've gotten the alignment at a place that had a fixed rack (aka pit) the alignments have been much much better.. just passing it along!

congrats on your mileage!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:38 AM
SL Member

not "decided to go" but "gone" lol. To be honest I don't know how long the struts have been blown....long time for sure.It doesn't ride bumpy though the problem is the body roll and the rear springs have sagged so much in the 7 years that the rear alignment can't reach acceptable tolerances.Thanks for the alignment advice as soon as i get the new parts installed ill look for a fixed rack.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting that you guys have problems with tire wear. I just passed 110k in my 2009 and have never had any problem with tire wear. 45k miles out of the OEM bridgestones, then another 45k out of some cheap Fuzions. It has literally never been aligned since the factory, and I monitor and record tire wear with a caliper and never see abnormal or high wear. The Hankook V12 Evos I am running now are pretty aggressive tires so I watch the wear on those closely but after about 8k miles they are all within a quarter of a millimeter of tread, with one rotation at 6700 miles. I use some Toyo studless snow tires in the winter and it seems like I can't get those to wear at all, lol.

I just replaced the water pump today which was the first mechanical failure since new. I am even still on the original battery and brakes. I do keep up on maintenance and have done the belt, plugs, PCV, coolant, brake/clutch fluid, PS fluid, trans fluid, etc and I do frequent inspections.

Alignments tend to be very hit or miss. If you find a good alignment tech, latch on to him and never let him go because they are few and far between. A quality alignment often takes a lot longer than the 20 minutes that techs usually spend on it. You can spend hours on it if you want it really exact. I have never found it important to align after changing tires though. I think that is a myth that tire shops have started in order to pad their earnings. I can't see why changing tires and the car needing an alignment would be related and in practice I have never found that to be the case.

Far as the rear sagging goes, it is your shocks, not spring sag. All shocks have high pressure gas in them which causes some lifting force on the rear end. When the shock is blown, there is no more gas pressure, thus that end sags a little. Spring sag (or "metal creep" since it is a characteristic of all metals) happens over time, but it is not related to mileage. You see it on 30+ year old cars, but the oldest tC is only turning 10 this year. I would replace the rear shocks.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 AM
SL Member

Cool, good to see you at 110k and no major problems.Looks like you'll coast to 200k easy. And you are correct, shocks/struts was blown but a major cause imo was the soft megan lowering springs.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm at 226,800...and last night my 2nd clutch went out as i got home from work..it runs great beside using a quart of oil every 600 miles.. used all weights and brands to try help it and no luck..i usually get around 60,000 out a set a tires...
Old 12-16-2014, 07:22 PM
SL Member

I'm over 308000 now so time for a new thread

Quick Reply: 200000 mile club