Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

now heres an idea...

Old 12-24-2007, 09:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default now heres an idea...

swap ideas have been thrown out there here and there and then a few events happened...

one, on ClubXB.com a thread started about a complete custom V8 swap and RWD conversion done on an xB with images and video prooving it. this was a small block 350 bored to 383 and a almost a near stock finish look when it was photoed and recorded.

now when looking closely at the images, looks like the fire wall directly behind the engine it' self was set back about 4 inches and some modification was needed to fit the new RWD transmission. the rear was fitted with a suspension system from some ford vehicle, last i looked at the thread it wasn't specified.

now recently i stumbeled into the tC threads and noticed someone started asking about swap possibilities using the 4GRFSE v6 2.5L from the Lexus IS250 and the possibility of it's AWD features.

Now... imagen if you will, money not being a worry. a V8's been done... why not do a V6 4GRFSE swap and take advantage of the AWD feature, mat it to the manual transmission and rework the rear suspension for the xB. the way i see it, for the amount of custom work needed for the 1NZFE to make hard-core tuners happy, why not put that hassel into something that would SERIOUS bragging rights?!

engine swap, 200hp and really nice 200lbs torque N/A plus some rods, pistons, turbo or supercharger with AWD... makes for a 300+hp/lbs torque AWD Franken-xB. and i don't know if any of you have actualy heard the 4GRFSE engine specificly with an HKS exhaust... but DAMN it's nice!

again, money not a problem. wouldn't this be the most awesome job ever?! not as much body fab work as what the V8 guy did being it's a smaller engine in physical size and displacement but still a VERY nice idea i think.

and before anyone says "with that much money, you should just go by a sports car" or whatever... THIS IS ABOUT THE XB... STICK TO IT PEOPLE! think the honda boys did that kind of thing? no, they said "thats sounds cool" and actualy freakin did it... a good example, 2 weeks ago, i saw a CRX with a Suby STI engine in it. ya, i know, rediculous, but it's compeletly true, my buddy and i followed him just to ask him cause all we heard was the beefy STI sound and the only moving car around us was a little honda CRX and sure as **** it had an EJ in it so why can't we toyota nuts do just that... go nuts....
Old 12-24-2007, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i give you my car will u do it for me. lol, that would be sick
Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about the 2jz?
i know a slant 6 would be a bit hard to fit, but someone stuffer a v8 into a box (i saw that thread too) so like you said "go nut" MAKE IT FIT.
ive alwayed loved the 2jz and its worth the hastle im sure of that. ive seen dino # as high as 1200hp
Old 12-24-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by swartzautoman
what about the 2jz?
i know a slant 6 would be a bit hard to fit, but someone stuffer a v8 into a box (i saw that thread too) so like you said "go nut" MAKE IT FIT.
ive alwayed loved the 2jz and its worth the hastle im sure of that. ive seen dino # as high as 1200hp
One day when I have won the lottery, just to be a stinker.. I'm gonna mid mount a 2JZ, with roof scoop intake, RWD, and a way to hide it all (so I can leave the stock engine/trans up front), maybe a large false speaker wall, behind the front seats, limo tints, and a flip down lisence plate for the exhaust to appear from.

as far fetched as all this is, I just met a guy (and his car) that used to work for NASA, he shows up in a Mini Cooper S, but sounds like a 747. He pops the hood, and stock motor is there. You pop the hatch, and there is a helicoptor turbine engine, intakes under the car, a vette rear end, and some of the biggest axles I ever seen. He hit US1, and that thing was a blurr and a jet scream..
Old 12-24-2007, 02:44 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a 2jz is not a slant 6, a slant 6 is mopar

heres some pictures

2jz

slant 6

Old 12-24-2007, 02:53 PM
SL Member

I like the idea of an engine swap and you know the costs aren't really the issue...save for the motor, tranny, axel, etc... The problem for me wold be in the actual knowledge of such things. The way I see it is this...those "Honda" guys my brother-in-law included don't really mind tearing their engines apart, tinkering, re-building it, put it back in...if it doesn't work, just buy another engine (not that expensive). Myself I see that as a bit of a risk as the xB is my daily driver. Just my .02

-Chris
Old 12-24-2007, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by layzieb36
I like the idea of an engine swap and you know the costs aren't really the issue...save for the motor, tranny, axel, etc... The problem for me wold be in the actual knowledge of such things. The way I see it is this...those "Honda" guys my brother-in-law included don't really mind tearing their engines apart, tinkering, re-building it, put it back in...if it doesn't work, just buy another engine (not that expensive). Myself I see that as a bit of a risk as the xB is my daily driver. Just my .02

-Chris
Honda is a whole different world (an easier one). Honda motor components can be interchanged (mostly) and power is found through factory parts. I know guys that find motors that build compression with the block, and engines that build compression with the head, motors that find compression with the piston design, combine all of these, add a type r intake and cam, and BOOM, horses flowin'.. wish it were that easy for us..
Old 12-24-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh ok, i thaught staight & slant were basicaly the same.
ok well i still think the 2jz would be a great idea
Old 12-24-2007, 08:41 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Slant-6_engine
http://allpar.com/slant6.html
Old 12-24-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a real diffrece between us and honda guys IS that they can easely piece together thier engines... for us, it's the trannies... for example most honda engines will only use a spcific type of tranny and maybe a range between 2 or 3 diffrent transmission models. us, no, toyota is badass like that and can use just about any transmission we freakin feel like using.

i would sugjest the 2JZ... but i think it's a bit longer then a 350 small block in actual physical length. the sugjestion for the 4GRFSE was to not only have good power with potential build up in mind but to also limit the amount of firewall space being set back that way internals inside the dash board don't need to be moved too much. i'm sure the 4GRFSE can produce some serious power. the only problem with the 4GR is that it's a rather new engine and i havn't been able to see many parts out for it. apparently the exhaust mani used for the V6 version of the IS300 will fit and do wonders on the 4GR cause it's a matching exhaust mani bolt pattern and basicly the same head. other then that... custom custom custom. BUT, for some real poer, some good pistons and new rods and a custom pro-charger supercharger settup with like a C-2 or a P1SC and a good piggy back or stand-alone and the 4GR could be right up there with the 1jz and 2jz, though i wouldn't go much further then 450-500whp even with AWD...

looking into it further though, i'm wondering if it's possible to actualy mat the AWD system to a manual trany... the A760H transmission used in the IS250 is auto for the AWD but it is a 6speed with REALLY long gears *6th gear being a ratio of about 0.58*. seeing as the AWD piece is basicly just an addon to the end of the transmission, can't you just take a manual gear box and swap it out?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mitsu EVO drivetrain with upgraded turbo, intecooler, etc so you have 4 wheel drive, 6 speed and proably 350-450 hp-and it's still only a 4 cylinder so yeah it would fit!

Even a Nissan SR20t-4 cyl weight (remember the car should hopefully still handle) with 200+ hp

I've seen many an original looking VW bug with engine swaps too, Porsche, Chevy, Corvair that will kill whoever gets into it at a light with them. When you have so far fewer electronics etc it is such an easy swap if you have a welder.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 4G63 (from the EVO) is a motor that mitsu has been using for some time now, my brother had a 91 Eagle Talon that had the 4G63.
is a realy great engine, and can easly be made to crank 400hp.

my idea with the 2JZ was only because i knew it could crank out some big hp # and its still a toyota engine.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they made the toyota bb w/ awd... why doesn't somebody just import those parts here? that'd be an easier way to get awd for sure.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^bump cause now I'm interested!