Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I want more horsepower on my Scion tC. Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
They don't have before/after dyno's, which means they have no proof that they increased horsepower. Different dyno's have different readings. I put 295 down on a DynoDynamics (stock put 144.8 down), on a DynaPack, that's around 340whp which is an absurdly high reading. Eddie was on the same dyno as me, same conditions, same day. He put down 160something (~20 more than the stock one that ran that day) and everyone else was putting down 150-160, and everyone had MORE mods than Eddie. People with I/H/full exhaust were only making 150's, and the auto's were making even less. A S/C auto put down 156 .

Point is, without before/after, a dyno chart means nothing.
I get what you're saying now, that makes sense.

I was just assuming that they were somewhere around 133 stock; oh well.

They still had some sort of gain.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Yes they did have a gain, but the actual gain is unknown. I'm not saying what emporer was saying about bolt-on's yielding no gain, because that's just asinine.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didn't say they had no gain i was just saying the gains he was referring to were generally unrealistic without some kind of a tune.

edit: Oh snap i guess i did LMAO i left a few words out of my previous post man now i feel like a tard..i meant to say "those kinds of gains"

whoops...
Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Tuning for N/A bolt-ons is useless. It's nowhere near enough of a change for the stock ECU to not be able to make the corrections. Fine tuning with I/H/E will yield an extra 2-3WHP probably.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah ok. I've heard of very minimal gains with an n/a tune but i didn't realize it was that minimal lol
Old 01-23-2009, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

You're making any major changes to the airflow, so the MAF can still make the correct readings. The only time a tune will be beneficial on N/A, is if you're changing compression or cams.

And I went back to your post...

there is absolutely know way in hell that an i/h/e/p setup will yield gains regardless of whether he was a manual or an auto.
Should have said 'will yeild those gains'. I didn't read the quote, so I didn't realize you were directing that comment at that guys +50whp claims.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha yeah i went back and (just like in my edit) went "whoops.." lol i should know there are gains with ihep cause thats my setup..

haha i'm not the smartest car guy in the world but i know that much. I was wondering why everyone was so against what i said...
Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Like the new avatar Emperor!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you sir i'm pretty hooked on fo3..my buddy has already clocked like 100 hours lol he's crazier than me
Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Worst ending ever.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Basically your options are Intake, Headers, Exhaust, Straight Pipe/Cat removal(one of them), Cams(possibly, don't see its potential without Boost, but also due to engines being on timing not lift.), and finally Laughing Gas. Nitrous shots, but I'd do some prep before actually considering that last option. Good summer/race esque tires(if your friends are running all year, youll have some extra grip, some, not much more.)

Jet Fuel....for giggles.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And note - if you go from 140whp to 150whp, that's only a 7% gain.

As much as the N/A power guys would hate to hear me say it... you can gain a lot more handling with suspension mods, than you reasonably could acceleration with N/A power mods.

If you want serious straight-line power, then unfortunately, we drive the ultimate underdogs. Wrong wheel drive, 2.4 naturally aspirated 4-banger, medium heft. Without adding a turbo and completely changing the nature of the engine, we're looking at a pretty low "ceiling" of power potential.

But, if you want to pull >1.0g's in a corner, that can be done with off-the-shelf parts and a good set of tires. Much, much more attainable and easier to live with everyday.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:50 PM

i figured i was here already so i might ask this quesiton...so basically my dyno run was false??cuz mine said 225 and i have "some suspension mods" but not much and they're ARAXIS i believe...i didn't believe it either but i've raced 6-bangers that are suped (mustangs,accords,grand ams) and beat'em but i'll admit i think its just the driver
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what.. spend $1000 for some bolt ons for this auto tc and what are you gonna run in the quarter? Why pay an extra $1000 to run a 15.5.. Might as well spend the grand on NOS and run in the fourteens and blow up the motor because you cant really make auto tcs that fast..

Anyways the point is not to argue stick or auto but to argue the fact that this guy said he wants to hit 12s with his car which I believe would be the fastest auto tc in the world (could be wrong, just kinda guessing).

What he should be doing is reading and reading and reading because like I said that is free but parts are expensive..
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Jimmy I wnt 227hp without a s/c or turbo. ROFL

227hp with ur mods equals Fail!!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OP, are you being serious about those times??? Theres no way youre even going to see 14's in an auto tc without fi - or i guess you could see it with an n/a setup haha like 11:1 pistons, pnp head, standalone tune, and strip the car down to like 2400-2500 lbs LOL but that would be ALOT more than just going FI or nitrous lol a local guy with an auto ran a 15.1-15.2 with a 50 shot on his auto - with i/h/e. Im finishing up the motor on my auto but wont be building the tranny for awhile - i know there was a guy on the stock tranny that ran a 14.1 on like 8 psi. My goal is to do a 14 flat or maaaaybeeeee a 13.99 Id jump out of the car at the end of the track and do a dance if i break a 14 i dun care if its a 13.95 or 13.98 lol itd still be breaking the 14 barrier lol :D lol until i build the tranny - than since soflo never got there i wanna be the first auto tc in the 12's :D lol the motor will be ready for it :D Oh yea and if you do end up going fi the auto will do great from a 25-30 roll hehe
Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Scion tC's are slow period. Unless boosted you will not be fast especially in an auto. It's that simple really.

No one buys a tC for speed.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theyre fun to drive - good looking - easily modded - and with a little fi decently quick for daily driving
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Hey Jimmy I wnt 227hp without a s/c or turbo. ROFL

227hp with ur mods equals Fail!!
lol rite? haha i went back cuz i was curious and yea ur rite i am waaayyy below that haha i'm at 176 lol the ___ gave me the wrong reading he thought i had a cobalt ss that was there same time as me!
but the scion jus show ion have money for it right now so i'm jus racing my RX-7 and lookin at the suped tc's at the drags and learning
Old 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

So how am i the loser when your the one who posted those numbers. I think your the loser for actually believing you made those numbers. You even admitted i was right. Also where did you get your AEM headers cause AEM dont make headers for the tC. But please feel free to post your dyno cause you will get flamed making claims like that without a dyno.

Quick Reply: I want more horsepower on my Scion tC. Help