Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Subwoofer Clipping Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Subwoofer Clipping Problem

I have an Infinity 1250 Subwoofer with a Profile AP1000m amp. I just got a new Scion tC and tapped into the speaker wire going to the front door speakers and ran them to a LOC that came with my amp, and have the LOC hooked up to my amp. When I turn the music up to around 45, which isn't super loud, the subwoofer starts to cut out for a split second when bass comes on and something else happens at the same time, such as a loud bass note along with a snare hit or a clap. Even if I turn the gain down really really low on the amp, this still happens. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks,
Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think the problem lies in you tapping into the front door speakers. switch it over to the rear and you shouldnt have a prob.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely don't tap into the front speakers. They have a funny wiring setup because of the tweeters. Tap the rear speakers and you should be fine assuming you've done everything else correctly.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

do not tap the fronts.......tap the rears,and upgrade to RCA set up for amp and get amp tuned,gain is not a volume ****.......it controls the amount of power to the subs......also turn bass boost off.....it also causes clipping prety easy......
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tried tapping into the rears where the rear speakers get plugged into and the sound level was super soft on the subwoofer no matter what I set the gain to. Maybe I did something wrong. Would tapping into the rear speakers behind the head unit be better?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Yes tap the wires behind the head unit. This way if you ever upgrade it would be much easier to plug the RCA's into the new radio. Also make sure your balance and fader are centere. I know it sounds dumb but sometimes this happens. Check your frequency response on the amp, and set to around 80Hz. Like mentioned before turn your bass boost off. To tune the amp play your music at 3/4 all the way up and tune your gain **** till it starts to distort then go back a little.
Also is your sub a dual voice coil or single voice coil?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have all that set up correctly, but can you tell me why when I tapped into the rear speakers at the rear speaker location, I barely get any sound from the subwoofer? But when the front speakers are tapped it sounds loud? Maybe I did something wrong. I'll go try it all again.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I give up. I'm just going to buy a new headunit with rca outs soon. I have no clue what's going on but when I tap the rear speakers I barely get any output from the sub.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lampe27
I give up. I'm just going to buy a new headunit with rca outs soon. I have no clue what's going on but when I tap the rear speakers I barely get any output from the sub.
Buying a better deck is probably the best route to begin with but if you must retain the factory head unit for whatever reason, check to see if your LOC has an adjustment **** on it for voltage output. If it does, turn it up. If it doesn't, get one that does have that adjustment. It will most likely have frequency tuning as well.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So just so everyone knows, don't even accidentally tap your remote wire into the speaker wire. That's what I did. Today I got a new headunit and while installing it, realized that I had my remote line tapped into the front left positive speaker wire. I'm so dumb.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

no worries....most everyone has tapped a wrong wire from one time to another,that is why using a good deck with RCAs will give you a much better signal and less chance of problems.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the topic of tapping wrong wires... I almost ate an airbag to the face when doing my first ever remote start keyless alarm on an S-10 (years ago). It turns out, the ignition wire and airbag wire are the same color and diameter. My face was right in front of the steering wheel when a co-worker told me to stop and check the see if that wire was squishy or hard. It was squishy, meaning its just padding around a smaller gauge wire (airbag). Much worse than a blown speaker lol.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you happen to have the Fader turned toward the front, it would make your subs (tapped off the back) quieter...

*edit* Holy ***** this is an old thread. Wonder why its showing up as New on the tC home page?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Banned
SL Member

It's where u tapped into to ur front speaker for a loc. Clipping is from boosted frequencys. I didnt read your hole story so... you actually might be talking about noise. But clipping causes your sub to get sticky and smelly. I'm guessing the front allows different frequency the the rear. I have a aftermarket headunit so I dont mess with loc's. Retap into the rear.

Last edited by Dizzzle; 06-16-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 AM
SL Member

maybe its a grounding issue or you have neg and positive mixed up??
Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lampe27
So just so everyone knows, don't even accidentally tap your remote wire into the speaker wire. That's what I did. Today I got a new headunit and while installing it, realized that I had my remote line tapped into the front left positive speaker wire. I'm so dumb.
Haha that's a booboo. It's not a big deal. However, lesson learned eh? For people who tap speakers for RCA outputs.. Just buy an aftermarket deck with RCA outputs. I bought an amp kit, headunit, install kit for the headunit for the tc for under 100 bucks. You could probably find one for sale too on craigslist or or here on SL. I see shortcuts taken all the time and nothing good ever comes of it.