Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Just installed glove box illumination :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KaneoheKoa
I wonder if a mercury tilt switch would work instead of a pin switch?
You mean attaching a tilt switch to the door? Would probably take a little adjusting and it would also be sensitive to vehicle tilt, plus there would be additional wiring with a two pin connector to the bracket. My personal experience is the pin switch is fully out of the way -- doesn't at all interfere with box access. I don't even have to fiddle with adjusting it, just bolt in the bracket and run the power wire.

Name:  xBgloveBoxIllumination_6.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  23.0 KB

Still, there are probably all manner of ways a switch could be setup. If anyone's interested in having me make them one like Daniel's, let me know.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KaneoheKoa
I wonder if a mercury tilt switch would work instead of a pin switch?

Tried that one my first trial of this (where he got the idea from) and it didnt work as well. I dropped my glove box and put the pin switch on the lower right side of panel so it is out of sight.

For power for mine I used the illumination circuit for the radio through a spdt relay with the pin switch for a ground trigger to activate. I made mine out of a flat sheet of abs I cut and heated to fit the area. Screwed into the metal brackets.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RedDragons
Tried that one my first trial of this (where he got the idea from) and it didnt work as well. I dropped my glove box and put the pin switch on the lower right side of panel so it is out of sight.

For power for mine I used the illumination circuit for the radio through a spdt relay with the pin switch for a ground trigger to activate. I made mine out of a flat sheet of abs I cut and heated to fit the area. Screwed into the metal brackets.
Sounds like more work, but bottom line is what appeals to you. If you don't mind the switch being visible with the door open (and always off until the door opens), I consider this ideal. Personally, I don't even notice it !
Old 08-25-2012, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Sounds like more work, but bottom line is what appeals to you. If you don't mind the switch being visible with the door open (and always off until the door opens), I consider this ideal. Personally, I don't even notice it !
I don't notice mine either. It may have been more work but like I said in my thread, I made mine out of spare parts I had in my shop at work, LEDs, resistors, abs sheet and more relays than I know what to do with.