Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Wiring for speakers and amp...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 PM
SL Member

Default Wiring for speakers and amp...

I was wondering what were the best ways to wire for your amp?? Where did everyone else ground it and how did u get passed firewall?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Auto or manual? Last manual trans car I did I was able to get a 4AWG wire through the grommet above the gas pedal. It's a PITA I had to move the intake pipe out of the way to get my hands in there. If it's an automatic, look on the inside of the car at the firewall. To the left of the brake pedal you should see an area where the clutch pedal would mount. Check for clearance on both sides in that area, I've seen people run wires there. Just make sure you put a grommet in the hole you drill for your wire if you end up drilling into the firewall. Use a step-drill bit when you do drill. When running your power wire keep it away from moving parts like the pedals, steering column, etc. Also watch for sharp metal edges that could potentially short the wire if they ever wear through the insulation. And put a fuse NO FURTHER than 18 inches from where you attach the power cable to the battery.

For the ground cable you'll want to make sure you ground it to the chassis. You'll have to remove some of the paint where you plan on screwing the ground into the chassis metal. Paint is a terrible conductor. On my tC1 I removed one of the LATCH (child seat anchor system) anchor bolts behind the seat, sanded away the paint and secured my ground cable there. Always check for clearance before you go shooting screws into the chassis. Things like the gas tank, brake and fuel lines are not fun, cheap, or easy to replace.

I shouldn't have to say this but, I'm not liable if you damage anything. If you don't feel comfortable, pay a professional to do it. You'll save time and money vs. learning the hard way. Minus distractions I'd say the last tC2 I did took me 2 hours, and I wasn't even in a hurry.
Also make sure you are using a quality wire for power and ground.