Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Tranny noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tranny noise?

So I have a little bit of chatter coming from my transmission and it has me a little worried! I talked to my brother in law who is a mechanic but he wasn't around much to help me diagnose the problem. He told me first thing to do was make sure there is enough tranny fluid and hopefully that takes care of the problem. He was saying it could also be the throw out bearing or an axle possible depending on what exactly is going on. Since I don't live around home anymore I was hoping maybe to get some ideas on what it might be. I am going to just replace the transmission fluid anyhow when I get back to my base after the weekend.

The sound mostly is coming from when I and slowly easing the clutch out when going up a hill or or slowly going forward. I don't notice it when I am just regular driving, so it makes me think it might be the throwout bearing but maybe someone has some inputs?
Old 04-19-2014, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oreoremix42
So I have a little bit of chatter coming from my transmission and it has me a little worried! I talked to my brother in law who is a mechanic but he wasn't around much to help me diagnose the problem. He told me first thing to do was make sure there is enough tranny fluid and hopefully that takes care of the problem. He was saying it could also be the throw out bearing or an axle possible depending on what exactly is going on. Since I don't live around home anymore I was hoping maybe to get some ideas on what it might be. I am going to just replace the transmission fluid anyhow when I get back to my base after the weekend.

The sound mostly is coming from when I and slowly easing the clutch out when going up a hill or or slowly going forward. I don't notice it when I am just regular driving, so it makes me think it might be the throwout bearing but maybe someone has some inputs?
I've always been super easy on my clutches so I can't speak for how it should behave under stress. However, if your driving habits stress the clutch, I would imagine the bearing or clutch/pressure plate could all be possible question marks. It's not easy to know what might be amiss with our vehicles -- we drive and they respond, but there's little guide as to what we should look at in case of uncertainty . Still, I think it's worth trying to understand what they are trying to tell us!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, gunna just have to start with the fluid and hope it fixes that issue. Hopefully I won't need a new clutch already. I am pretty easy on the clutch. Don't really drive the car hard or anything.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you ride the clutch with the car still in gear at a full stop (at a light)?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sometimes but not that often