Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Antifouler / CEL Fix for Header

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that! I am a automotive technician and have been for 7 years. I have tried simulators several different kinds. The best luck I have had was the Zpi sim and it still didn't work. Zpi worked with me on it and we could not come up to a logical reason why. The problem is there is a voltage spike in the 02 sensor at 4000rpm. Even on a stock tc the voltage spike shows a little just not high enough to set the cel. If you want a permanent fix go to a exhaust shop and get a o2 bung welded in behind the cat on the midpipe and relocate the o2 sensor and you won't ever have a cel from the aftermarket header.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, there has to be another factor. i still have my CEL after the anti-fouler mod. i've checked my work twice and even got a couple of friends to do the same. still we cant find anything wrong. somethings jacked up.

and how do u get 290 miles on a full tank? even if your gunnin it sometimes. wow!
Old 01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sam_J84
yes, there has to be another factor. i still have my CEL after the anti-fouler mod. i've checked my work twice and even got a couple of friends to do the same. still we cant find anything wrong. somethings jacked up.

and how do u get 290 miles on a full tank? even if your gunnin it sometimes. wow!
I have gotten below that regularly with normal in town driving. My max is 380 and my min is about 250. You have to realize that a "tank" isnt the same for all.. some fill up lower that others. Considering I almost always have a 12 gallon refill, thats from 20 to 31 mpg... almost exactly what the tC is rated for.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was very much enjoying my new mod

Mods, please sticky or please consider a DIY section. I'm going to put together a quick "taking out the backseats for dummies" as well, and probably my own version of GFI.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are lazy and want to find the "HELP" defouler online, I found it as a brand called Motormite, with the same part numbers. I have another question though, is the connector on the rear o2 harness a generic square 4 wire plug? I am planning on buying an extension harness from summit racing and then relocating the rear o2 sensor behind the cat on the draxas exhaust. That wasy I shouldn't need to fool anything.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine anti-fouler fix works fine after over 15,000 miles
Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the DC header and K&N intake, and the anti fouler method worked until I hit somewhere between 80-95 mph on the freeway. Im going to add another unmodified antifouler to the ones I already have on there to further remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust stream and will see if this will help my problem. It will look like this.

02 sensor opening in s pipe - unmodified antifouler - unmodified anti fouler - modified anti fouler - O2 sensor .

Im hoping by adding an additional gap, there will be less air going to the sensor and I wont trip my cel.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting concept. I think it should work.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey toyota_scion_tc, You have the zpi s-pipe on your tC right? I read on the zpi s-pipe veview, that the zpi s-pipe because the o2 sensor sits back farther on pipe itself that it wouldn't be necessary to do the anti-fouler trick is this incorecct?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeh my anti-fouler doesnt work either..i have AW header, Injen CAI, and stock everything else. i was thinkin mayb if i get an s-pipe to get more air flow then it might work..but first imma try to add another link to the anti-fouler to make it 3 instead of two. my bro said that might work
Old 01-23-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
yeh my anti-fouler doesnt work either..i have AW header, Injen CAI, and stock everything else. i was thinkin mayb if i get an s-pipe to get more air flow then it might work..but first imma try to add another link to the anti-fouler to make it 3 instead of two. my bro said that might work
im doing the same thing as you, i think im going to put it on tommorrow so ill let you know if it works or not next time I hit 85-90mph which is usually where the cel light comes on.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there enough room down there for an extra anti-fouler? From what I remember it was a pretty tight fit when I installed mine
Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrv2000
im doing the same thing as you, i think im going to put it on tommorrow so ill let you know if it works or not next time I hit 85-90mph which is usually where the cel light comes on.

well for me the CEL didnt come on until mayb 285 miles after ecu reset. i did this two times so i know its around that mileage. dunno bout you though. mayb wait til after 300 miles? keep me posted because i dont think it will show up right away. weird how urs comes on when u hit 85 mph though. that didnt happen to me..
Old 01-23-2006, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrv2000

well for me the CEL didnt come on until mayb 285 miles after ecu reset. i did this two times so i know its around that mileage. dunno bout you though. mayb wait til after 300 miles? keep me posted because i dont think it will show up right away. weird how urs comes on when u hit 85 mph though. that didnt happen to me..
I get close to 300 miles per tank of gas, which takes me about a week to get through. So i'll be able to tell you in about a week if it comes on due to mileage.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by English
Is there enough room down there for an extra anti-fouler? From what I remember it was a pretty tight fit when I installed mine
From what I remember, I thought there was enough room for an extra anti fouler, maybe even two? I guess I'll find out tommorrow though.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I also have the K&N CAI, DC Header and the anti fouler didnt work for me either. I am waiting on the peice from MM to try and see if that fixes it. I will let everyone know on that peice, if it works for me.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will I added an extra anti fouler, and it worked. took the car up to 95mph and the cel light didnt come on. The only problem is that I think it is rattling against some other metel piece when I accelerate, because I hear a little tapping noise that I didnt use to hear before. I will fix this however by just padding the antifoulers so that if they hit something, it wont make a tapping sound.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One question - will the cel light affect gas mileages? Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Prock2305
hey toyota_scion_tc, You have the zpi s-pipe on your tC right? I read on the zpi s-pipe veview, that the zpi s-pipe because the o2 sensor sits back farther on pipe itself that it wouldn't be necessary to do the anti-fouler trick is this incorecct?
That is incorrect b/c the oxygen sensor is still in the exhaust stream and getting the same flow from it.

I got my ZPI Midpipe in its bolted on with the Magnaflow 12646 resonator. Sounds really great. I have the factory header on still. I am waiting to get my 2.5" Stainless steel flanges for the Magnaflow 43036 cat I am going to put in. I am flanging it incase I have any problems with this cat or go turbo later and decide to remove it. I have a complete 2.5" stainless exhaust on my car now it sounds great. My sound shouldn't change too much when I put the alphawerks header back on b/c I will be adding in the catalyic converter on the midpipe.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was planning on getting the zpi s-pipe later next month and when i read that you didnt need to do the anti-fouler trick I was stoked. Oh well, thanx for the info though!

Quick Reply: Antifouler / CEL Fix for Header