Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Giving daughter 2008 buying 2012, new options to add?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:41 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool Giving daughter 2008 buying 2012, new options to add?

Hey ,

I bought 08 new and have driven it for over 4 yrs, 72k mileage, no problems.

My 22 yr old daughter needs a vehicle for college. I wish I would have known a few months ago. l liked my 08 so much I'm replacing it with a new 2012.

08 BSP with:
Remote start
Security system
TRD rear sway bar
TRD strut tower bar
Wedsport 16 x 7 Bronze rims
225/50R16 Toyo proxes 4
Rear spoiler
Tinted windows
Bazooka Sub
TRD lowering Springs
Alpine Navi
Sport Steering Wheel

I'm a nice Dad right?

So I'm going to get a 2012 with the same options, except I'm swapping a few things between the two.

Swap out 2012 stock springs for TRD Lowering springs on 08
Swap out 2012 Tires/wheels for Wedsport wheels/tires on 08

Buying a 12 BSP with:
All options 08 had
Add Borla Exhaust
Add TRD CAI

In the 08, I just put in Alpine NAVI, Alpine 5 channel amp, JL speakers and JL sub, and Rear Backup camera about 2 months ago, sounds great.
Taking all out of 08 to put in 2012.

In 08, Putting a nice head unit back in, 5 channel amp and upgraded speakers with bazooka sub. Not as nice of stuff as I have, but way better than stock.

Comments/suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2011, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DL
I'm a nice Dad right?
Yes, you are.

I didn't see anything about HID's. Now that I've had them for a few years, I'll never be able to drive at night with regular halogen low beams and feel content with their light output.

The Borla exhaust is just an axle-back pipe with a tip (or tips if you go dual) on it... seems like a lot of $$ for just a straight pipe with no muffler or resonator.

Since you're adding a CAI, you might consider one of the scuba cat-back exhausts that includes a larger diameter mid-pipe replacement; such as Tsudo Dual Fireball, Strup single, or Flowmaster single.

Also, IIRC the 2011/12 TRD CAI is just an expensive short ram, not a real CAI, but I could be wrong.

Other than that, nice job with the list of mods.

Last edited by CIONIDE; 09-18-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FWIW -- the 2011+ TRD CAI does draw air from within the left fender as opposed to the engine compartment, so it really does qualify as a CAI. Drawbacks compared to the 2008-2010 TRD CAI are that it doesn't draw directly from the fascia intake "vent" and perhaps that it utilizes the stock air box (with slightly smaller air intake pipe diameter), however; it includes a higher flow air-box cover and 3" TB pipe so perhaps the air box performance is similar. It's not clear what power/torque difference there is between the two TRD renditions, but it's fair to presume the 2011+ delivers a little less cool air than the earlier.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:04 AM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Yes, you are.

I didn't see anything about HID's. Now that I've had them for a few years, I'll never be able to drive at night with regular halogen low beams and feel content with their light output.

The Borla exhaust is just an axle-back pipe with a tip (or tips if you go dual) on it... seems like a lot of $$ for just a straight pipe with no muffler or resonator.

Since you're adding a CAI, you might consider one of the scuba cat-back exhausts that includes a larger diameter mid-pipe replacement; such as Tsudo Dual Fireball, Strup single, or Flowmaster single.

Also, IIRC the 2011/12 TRD CAI is just an expensive short ram, not a real CAI, but I could be wrong.

Other than that, nice job with the list of mods.

I forgot, I did add the HID's about a month ago, your right, they work great. I guess I'll leave them on the 08 and buy new ones for the 12.

Borla, True pricey, but I kinda like the dual pipe look.. As long as I can't hear a loud droning sound inside the car.

From Borla website,

Borla Performance Industries has released two great new performance exhaust systems for the fun 2008 Toyota Scion xB equipped with a 2.4L 4-cylinder engine, automatic or manual transmission. PN11757 is a rear section direct replacement for the factory system that installs using a factory flange after the muffler. This system flows 128cfm more than the factory unit which accounts for the mileage and performance gains. The system is 5.6db louder than the factory system, giving this little run-around some extra juice and a great sound.

BORLA also offers a single exit rear section (PN11756) which is a direct replacement for the stock and is 9 db louder than the factory system. Both systems utilize the 3.5” oval, rolled edge polished stainless steel tips that are BORLA embossed.

BORLA has a 3-decade tradition of building performance exhaust for Toyota products, from street race trucks to the NHRA Sport Compact Champion Titan Motorsports record setting Scion. BORLA, the original pioneers of high quality, austenitic stainless steel (superior to 409 or aluminized steel) free-flow exhaust utilizes patented award and race winning technology to deliver quality, sound, performance gains and enhanced fuel economy -- all with an easy bolt-on installation. And backed by an unsurpassed written million-mile warranty.

http://www.borla.com/media/prod_images/xlarge/11757.jpg

I don't understand P/N11756 is a single pipe replacement, 9 db noise level higher than stock.
P/N11757 is a dual pipe replacement, 5.6 db noise level higher than stock.

Single pipe is louder than dual?

Anybody install the duals that can comment on the noise level increase over stock ?

Tsudo Dual Fireball, sounds nice, checked it out on u tube.
Strup single, very nice, probably too loud for me.
Flowmaster, Probably too loud,

I want something with a little rumble, not one that will drone going down the road. Been there and done that with a VW GTI VR6 car. Didn't like it.

Is there going to be a loud droning sound or can you barely hear it? a little rumble would be nice.

As for the TRD CAI, I'm not including it in the deal, going to take a look at it first and see how it works before I buy it and then install myself.

Thanks

Last edited by DL; 09-19-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been looking into the TRD CAI myself and I decided to hold off on it. Its price jump is a little harder to swallow and if I do decide to go with it later, it seems like you can save about $200 if you buy it online and install yourself. Also from what I have read on the scion site, the CAI is not allowed to be financed with the rest of the vehicle so you are better off buying it on your own anyway. I am still hoping to find an alternative to the TRD as from what I always read about the last model, it was never the top pick for the money....
Old 09-19-2011, 04:10 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Keevok
I have been looking into the TRD CAI myself and I decided to hold off on it. Its price jump is a little harder to swallow and if I do decide to go with it later, it seems like you can save about $200 if you buy it online and install yourself. Also from what I have read on the scion site, the CAI is not allowed to be financed with the rest of the vehicle so you are better off buying it on your own anyway. I am still hoping to find an alternative to the TRD as from what I always read about the last model, it was never the top pick for the money....
I'll have my local parts dept order it and take a look at it when it comes in before buying. Sometimes I prefer to buy TRD parts because they fit well even though they cost more. We'll see ..
Old 09-19-2011, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep us posted!!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What a nice dad. My intentions are to hand over my 2011 (if I don't get something else) box to my daughter as well. She will be 16 and driving in 3 years. Should be a good car for her, especially safety wise. Just concerned about the cost of fuel (3 years from now) and the fuel economy and cost of insurance. She loves the car and has already laid claim to it!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 AM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by clifsmith
What a nice dad. My intentions are to hand over my 2011 (if I don't get something else) box to my daughter as well. She will be 16 and driving in 3 years. Should be a good car for her, especially safety wise. Just concerned about the cost of fuel (3 years from now) and the fuel economy and cost of insurance. She loves the car and has already laid claim to it!
25-26 mpg isn't bad to me, It's fairly safe for a small car. My daughter has wanted it since I bought it. lol

OK, my daughters' lucky day, I'm leaving everything on the car except swapping some stereo stuff out.

08 BSP with:
Remote start
Security system
TRD rear sway bar
TRD strut tower bar
225/50R16 Toyo proxes 4
Rear spoiler
Tinted windows
Bazooka Sub
TRD lowering Springs
Sport Steering
225/50R16 Toyo proxes 4
TRD lowering Springs
Rear Backup camera

In 08, Putting a nice double DIN head unit back in, 5 channel amp and upgraded speakers with bazooka sub. Not as nice of stuff as I will have in 2012, but way better than stock.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for the gear shift in the subject. It seems I see a lot of middle aged folks such as myself driving these Xbs as well as members of this site. The majority of the gen 2 boxes I see in town are driven by such. Interesting since they were marketed for the younger crowd. I think we found (speaking for myself) that the utility, ROOM inside, looks, safety, cost, etc. are supurb when compared to others. I just wished mine got better mpg. I am sure the next generation box will improve on that.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by clifsmith
Sorry for the gear shift in the subject. It seems I see a lot of middle aged folks such as myself driving these Xbs as well as members of this site. The majority of the gen 2 boxes I see in town are driven by such. Interesting since they were marketed for the younger crowd. I think we found (speaking for myself) that the utility, ROOM inside, looks, safety, cost, etc. are supurb when compared to others. I just wished mine got better mpg. I am sure the next generation box will improve on that.
Your right Scion's are marketed towards the youth but there is nothing wrong with the more "mature" crowd driving these cars. I was in a car club with my last car I owned and I felt so out of place cause every member of the club was 40+ years old but that's ok cause I can honestly say they where the most down to earth guys and was the best car club I have ever been apart of. All the people who start car clubs that are my age only want to street race or cause trouble. Maybe I just find all the wrong clubs but if someone on here who was older started a car club in my area who would actually wanted to do some cruising I would definetly be first member. Back on topic..... I actually havn't seen one person my age driving any Scion. All the Scion's around my area are drivin by older people which is cool by me but mostly tC's. It makes me feel good buying my tC cause the older people tend to go for the cars that are the best deal and most reliable.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:45 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the car because I rode in my friends Gen I xB from GA to Tampa Fl with him when he went to buy a used RV. I was like , wow, this thing has lots of room, rides fairly well, handles good and doesn't cost much.

It was the perfect car for me. With my type of job, I wanted something fairly good on MPG, front wheel drive in case I took a job where it snows, roomy inside to carry my personal stuff and fun to drive, also I wanted a car that doesn't make me stand out at each job workplace because I make 2-3 times what they normally make there. Keep a low profile,

Car works for me, I'm buying a 2012 when just around the corner is the Gen III xB in 2013.

I was going to get a 2013 an give my daughter the 08, but things changed and she needs the car now.
The things we do for our kids..
Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just picked up my 2012 BSP 5spd today!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 AM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool...Great color choice
Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the new xB, but unless I had an extra hour a day for detailing I could never keep a black car looking good.

Not hating, just saying; BSP looks incredible when it's spotlessly detailed, it's just hard to keep it that way.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:30 PM
DL
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Congrats on the new xB, but unless I had an extra hour a day for detailing I could never keep a black car looking good.

Not hating, just saying; BSP looks incredible when it's spotlessly detailed, it's just hard to keep it that way.
I thought the same thing, I always stayed away from black until a few years ago. I always went with red, blue or white colors.

I wash all my vehicles that stay outside once a week, It's not that bad to keep clean and it sure looks good when it is.