Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Are gear oil and transmission fluid referring to the same thing?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:55 AM

Angry Are gear oil and transmission fluid referring to the same thing?

(I've seen some ppl saying not to replace tC's transmission fluid at all and some ppl suggesting to change gear oil every 15k miles. It looks like they are referring to different things. I don't know much about cars, so please help me.)

I have this problem because I'm not sure whether there is anything wrong with my tC's transmissions. I will hear some grinding noises sometimes i change gears to 2nd or 3rd(not so often), it is this way since i bought my MT 5speed tC at 53k miles. I am not sure whether I need to change anything to fix that or it's fine? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Generally they're referring to the same thing. Just make sure you stay away from gear oils that specifies that it only be used in differentials and/or in limited slip units. Use either GL4 or GL5 75W90 fluid, and make sure the bottle says it can be used transmissions or transaxles. Some popular choices are Redline MT90, Eneos transmission fluid, and Motul Gear 300.

As far as how often to change it goes, our repair manual states to "check" the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles or 36 months. So if you just change it at those intervals you should be safe. Since you bought your tC with 53K miles, I would suggest you change it now since you can't be sure if the original fluid was ever changed. I personally use Motul Gear 300 and love it. Sometimes a fluid change will fix grinding and other weird noises, but if it doesn't, take it to a Toyota dealer before you hit 60K miles. That's when the powertrain warranty will expire.

Here's a DIY on how to change your tranny fluid: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/transmission-flush-manual-redline-mt-90-a-59661/

Last edited by SFTifoso; 03-07-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

amsoil is good too
Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by SFTifoso
Generally they're referring to the same thing. Just make sure you stay away from gear oils that specifies that it only be used in differentials and/or in limited slip units. Use either GL4 or GL5 75W90 fluid, and make sure the bottle says it can be used transmissions or transaxles. Some popular choices are Redline MT90, Eneos transmission fluid, and Motul Gear 300.

As far as how often to change it goes, our repair manual states to "check" the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles or 36 months. So if you just change it at those intervals you should be safe. Since you bought your tC with 53K miles, I would suggest you change it now since you can't be sure if the original fluid was ever changed. I personally use Motul Gear 300 and love it. Sometimes a fluid change will fix grinding and other weird noises, but if it doesn't, take it to a Toyota dealer before you hit 60K miles. That's when the powertrain warranty will expire.

Here's a DIY on how to change your tranny fluid: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59661
Thanks for your advices. How much oil do I need to fill the trans? I saw the thread you linked says 3 full bottles. I guess they are 1-quart bottles. I guess 3 or 4 bottles will be fine? I guess I'll buy 'em from advanced auto parts, if I can find 'em there, lol. Then I'll go to the technician I know to change it for me. When I sent my car to do oil change, Tire Plus indeed suggested me to change it, but asking for almost $200!

Last edited by jeanmarkhere; 03-07-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our tranny takes 2.5 quarts, so you'll need 3 bottles of 1 quart each. Our tranny has a plug on the side of it. It is there to avoid overfilling it. When you change the tranny fluid you remove this side plug and fill it up with new fluid until it starts pouring out of the side hole.

Redline, Amsoil, Eneos, and Motul are boutique brands. You can't find them at regular auto parts stores. Most people order their tranny oil online. Motul is available in some Nissan dealerships, but it cost $15 a quart. If those brands are too expensive or hard to find, I would suggest you buy Toyota fluid from the dealer. Toyota actually makes quality fluids, so no worries about that.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Thank you so much! I might wait a little bit until next oil change. Btw, It's already 62k or so. I don't plan to fix it if it has problem. Love this stick shift tC so far.