Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

CEL and bad gas mileage w/ intake

Old 07-02-2009, 06:41 PM
SL Member

Default CEL and bad gas mileage w/ intake

A few months back I got an injen intake and only now am i having problems. I've been getting pretty bad gas mileage and the CEL is on and i'm not sure what the issue is. the intake is installed correctly and the O2 sensor is hooked up just fine. These issues just recently started to happen as well, the months I've had my intake on were trouble free.

I want to take it to the dealership but should I remove the intake first?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't drive hard, I drive at the speed limit or very close to it and that I'm taking it to pep boys later today but I'd like to hear people's input first
Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what other mods did you do? new headers? anything of the sort? details...whats your whole setup.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

could be poor installation make sure u go over everything again see if anythings loose etc. if everything is fine unplug the battery for 5 mins and plug it back up
Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 PM
SL Member

@ 06 scion: The thing is that the only engine mod I have is an intake. Aside from that i have a strut bar but I don't think that would affect it too much

@Rosedale: I've thought about that too but it looks just fine so i'm guessing its not that. I'm returning to stock over the weekend so I'll see if that is the problem
Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

what kind of mileage are you getting?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

did u recently install this? chances are if u unplug ur battery and then plug it in would help ur computer and the CEL
Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you ever changed your plugs? cleaned the air filter. i was getting terrible gas millage. i swaped out my plugs and changed my filter, cleaned my maf sensor and went from 21-22 mpg to 26-27. try that.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:56 PM
SL Member

i installed this in feb. so don't think its that. but i'll try the reset thing. But my mileage is pretty bad. I drove probably 50 miles yesterday with a full tank and now i'm at a half tank

I'll replace the plugs though because thats seems like an easy fix. What brand did you use?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hmm..thats weird. well idk but i just installed my injen about a week ago. short-ram setup though. i bought it used from someone on here. i have a 07 and when i installed it i didnt unplug the battery and im running with no CEL. hopefully i wont run into any problems.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

try running a bead of silicone around the maf, make sure its sealed on the intake. that's what it took to get rid of my cel.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by istoppedpre
i installed this in feb. so don't think its that. but i'll try the reset thing. But my mileage is pretty bad. I drove probably 50 miles yesterday with a full tank and now i'm at a half tank

I'll replace the plugs though because thats seems like an easy fix. What brand did you use?
That's about 6MPG. I can't even achieve that with boost.

Any idea what the CEL code is?
Old 07-03-2009, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first off, find out what the CEL is for and that will give you a lead. chances are you messed up your MAF sensor when installing the CAI. (did you remember to disconnect the battery while installing the car?)

if you go to the dealership, your profile says you have a 2005 scion, so more of your warranty is probably gone. but it sounds like you botched the installation.

as for changing the plugs, the tc has iridium spark plugs stock, they are good for 100k miles.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 AM
SL Member

yeah i'm planning on taking it to pep boys in a few days to figure out the code and yes i did disconnect the battery when installing but I haven't had any problems until just now so i dunno what the problem could be. i'll see if the maf is sealed up tight tomorrow though
Old 07-04-2009, 04:35 AM

i have the Injen CAI on my '05, and i haven't had that problem

make sure your MAF sensor is properly placed and connected, etc
Old 07-04-2009, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by rosedaleny806
did u recently install this? chances are if u unplug ur battery and then plug it in would help ur computer and the CEL

Actually it won't do that. the only thing it will do is turn the CEL light off. The code will still be stored.

Best thing to do is when you take it to Pep Boys... is leave the CEL light on so the code can be read. Have them hook up their OBDII reader to it and see what code it is throwing. Then check what that code means. Then go from there.
I personally never threw a CEL due to a CAI...and I have had the same Injen SES CAI that you do on both of my tC's with NO issues at all. I would recheck your flexable hose and clamps to the throttle body and that your MAF is sealed correctly.

and yes... post what kind of gasmilage you are referring to... and for how long, and did it start being poor the same time the CEL came on? They could be 2 different issues and for the fuel mileage you may have just gotten a bad tank of gas where particals have partially clogged your fuel filter.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

I saw a few others mention the MAF sensor on here as well. That could also be the problem....as the MAF is a very delicate part just like your o2 sensors... if not handled very carefully they can easily get damaged.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:53 AM
SL Member

the gas mileage has been happening before the CEL came on so i'm not sure if the two are related but i'm positive I didn't damage the MAF, I was real careful about it.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

ok bro... that helps narrow it down. did you have the autoparts store throw on the OBDII reader for the code?
I'm leaning towards a clogged fuel filter from sediment in the filling station's tank. Best thing to do is if you didnt have problems prior, look at the simplest things first and work your way up unless the problem is obvious to the cause.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

also since you're local to me... feel free to pm me. I have built show cars from the ground up for more than 20 years.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:02 AM
SL Member

haha well fort collins is a bit of a drive, but no i didn't get a chance to go to pepboys and i probably won't be able to all weekend and all next week so it'll probably be a while before i can get the real problem locked down. thanks for all the help guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CEL and bad gas mileage w/ intake