Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2007 MT totally gone

Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 AM

Unhappy 2007 MT totally gone

I have a 2007 manual transmission with 40,9XX ODO. Last Thursday, I first began noticing that it would slip above 3,500 rpms in fifth gear, and was told that my clutch was likely on its way out but I should have some time before it needed to be replaced. Each day after that, it felt like it was slipping more and more, but I chalked it up to overactive imagination/worrying. Today I was driving up a fairly steep hill doing about 45 when the clutch just kicked it, smoke began pouring out from under the hood and an awful smell filled the car. Definitely burned the clutch.

I will (painfully) admit that I have noticed that I have a habit of riding my clutch during shifts (holding the pedal too long during shifting?) but don't ride it while coming to a stop. I also don't burn outs or shift higher than about 3500-4000 rpm. I took my car to the local Toyota dealership and am waiting to hear back, but am too cynical to hope that it will be covered under the powertrain warranty. I have an extended warranty which does not cover the transmission, which is not helpful at all.

I am trying to figure out if my driving habits are responsible for destroying my clutch or if it seems like there could be a manufacturing defect at play as well. Also, what does it mean that the clutch failed so quickly? It went from its first slips to burnt in five days. I have been told that it is unusual for the problem to get so severe in that amount of time. Before I noticed the slipping last week, I never had any problems with grinding and all shifts were relatively smooth aside from the occasional chilly morning.

Any help at all is appreciated!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it seems you do not know how to drive a manual transmission.

when driving the tc, the key to proper and smooth clutch usage is to rev up the engine a little with the throttle, let the clutch in smoothly, and once you feel the clutch start to engage, start releasing the clutch faster while feeding it a little more throttle.

when you are being all slow and moving the car while not fully engaging the clutch, you are wearing down the friction material on the clutch so that it won't have anything to match the flywheel.

also, when driving do not rest your foot on the clutch pedal. put your left foot on the dead pedal until you're about to shift.

now, upshifts so be very short and sweet. upshifts are very easy to do smoothly. downshifts should be revmatched, this is where you rev up the engine to match the wheel speed to what the engine speed will be in the lower gear. letting the clutch in should also be short and sweet. there is a rhythm to proper clutching and shifting. suprised you haven't found it in 49k miles.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:36 AM

I don't put my foot on the pedal while I'm driving and not shifting. Again, I admit my upshifts take too long, as I was told to match the release of the clutch while increasing acceleration with even pressure. I suppose this made me focus more on my foot position relative to each other than the timing. Apparently I was taught incorrectly. Your feedback (although patronizing) was helpful. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Banned
5 Year Member
SL Member

clutch definatly won't be covered under powertrain cause its a wear and tear item. im on my stock clutch in my 05 with 107k miles. its all on the driver I've never even felt my clutch slip actually now that I think about it
Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No defects I have heard of with the stock clutch. Should last you 100,000 miles and beyond if driven correctly.

And if you felt it slipping, you didnt have long left at that point, it will fail exponentially after that without severe babying.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idk what to tell ya.. i have almost 94k on my stock clutch and i drive my car pretty hard. no burnouts or nething like that but i do power shift from time to time.... i also work for a toyota dealership and i havent seen or heard of any cars in the shop coming thru with any clutch/tranny issues.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, no part of any warranty will cover your clutch. At least no warranty from Toyota. It's wear and tear. Like brake pads.

Originally Posted by glovvee
I am trying to figure out if my driving habits are responsible for destroying my clutch or if it seems like there could be a manufacturing defect at play as well.
Secondly, the problem is your driving habits. If there were defect, we'd be hearing about burnt clutches a LOT more than we do (which is actually a rare thing here). I'm on stock clutch with 80k+ and have autocrossed my car for about the last 4 years on a regular basis. You could say I'm pretty hard on it sometimes. Zero issues.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I have almot 45k on mine and no problems. I have make about 30 passes on the 1/8th mile strip too. Hope you got the money for a new clutch
Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by glovvee
I have a 2007 manual transmission with 40,9XX ODO. Last Thursday, I first began noticing that it would slip above 3,500 rpms in fifth gear, and was told that my clutch was likely on its way out but I should have some time before it needed to be replaced. Each day after that, it felt like it was slipping more and more, but I chalked it up to overactive imagination/worrying. Today I was driving up a fairly steep hill doing about 45 when the clutch just kicked it, smoke began pouring out from under the hood and an awful smell filled the car. Definitely burned the clutch.

I will (painfully) admit that I have noticed that I have a habit of riding my clutch during shifts (holding the pedal too long during shifting?) but don't ride it while coming to a stop. I also don't burn outs or shift higher than about 3500-4000 rpm. I took my car to the local Toyota dealership and am waiting to hear back, but am too cynical to hope that it will be covered under the powertrain warranty. I have an extended warranty which does not cover the transmission, which is not helpful at all.

I am trying to figure out if my driving habits are responsible for destroying my clutch or if it seems like there could be a manufacturing defect at play as well. Also, what does it mean that the clutch failed so quickly? It went from its first slips to burnt in five days. I have been told that it is unusual for the problem to get so severe in that amount of time. Before I noticed the slipping last week, I never had any problems with grinding and all shifts were relatively smooth aside from the occasional chilly morning.

Any help at all is appreciated!
Based on what you have written here it sounds like your driving habits are the cause of the premature failure.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:24 AM
SL Member

98,500 no problems with the clutch!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about you get the TRD LSD installed while the dealer is replacing your clutch? Two birds with one stone.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Stupid question, but what exactly does it feel like when it slips? Do you just lose the forward throttle, is it like an airy feel? Like yr accelerating but not getting as much power as you should, like yr just pushing air? I'm kind of a noob but I'm trying to start working on my car. Trying to learn different stuff here and there
Old 03-06-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

engine speed will go up faster than the vehicle speed
Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Haha thanks! I wasn't too sure 'cause at times my car will have this airy feel when I accelerate, sometimes slow, sometimes fast. Like it's just pulling in too much air and pushing it out instead of giving it power.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:03 PM
SL Member

i got a brand new spec stage 2+ clutch with all accessories for sale if you are interested. 300 tq capacity, kevlar. I am sure you won't burn out this one! PM me if interested
Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pinklacedshoe
Stupid question, but what exactly does it feel like when it slips? Do you just lose the forward throttle, is it like an airy feel? Like yr accelerating but not getting as much power as you should, like yr just pushing air? I'm kind of a noob but I'm trying to start working on my car. Trying to learn different stuff here and there
basically what engifineer said.

the engine revs up, but acceleration is severly inhibited as the clutch isn't gripped the flywheel. it isn't subtle at all, when it happens, you'll notice it for sure.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
basically what engifineer said.

the engine revs up, but acceleration is severly inhibited as the clutch isn't gripped the flywheel. it isn't subtle at all, when it happens, you'll notice it for sure.

to add on to this sometimes its just a matter of the rpms staying at one set place say the rpms jump to 4k when they should be at 3k while the clutch is slipping and tryna grab it could be showing a 4k on the tach for a second even tho u can tell ur spinning tires or clutch
Old 03-06-2010, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Cool, thanks for the info guys! Any idea about the airy feel I sometimes get when I accelerate? I have a feeling it has to do with my CAI but I'm not sure. I disconnected the battery when I installed it, but maybe I didn't do it right?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pinklacedshoe
Cool, thanks for the info guys! Any idea about the airy feel I sometimes get when I accelerate? I have a feeling it has to do with my CAI but I'm not sure. I disconnected the battery when I installed it, but maybe I didn't do it right?
the airy feeling? you are aware that you're driving a front wheel drive car right? when you accelerate, the weight of the car goes to the rear tires, slightly lifting the front of the the car, taking weight off the front tires, which are trying to pull the car, thus losing traction. so they get floaty and vague.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
the airy feeling? you are aware that you're driving a front wheel drive car right? when you accelerate, the weight of the car goes to the rear tires, slightly lifting the front of the the car, taking weight off the front tires, which are trying to pull the car, thus losing traction. so they get floaty and vague.
I understand that. And sorry if I'm being really retarded. But it feels like a lapse in the engine not the tires. And if they lose traction you'd feel it right? Give or take yr rpm's and launching and stuff. But I'm not launching or anything when it happens. It just almost feels like there's so much air going in that instead of pushing out fumes it pushes out air. If that makes any sense at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 MT totally gone