Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

xB 2004 mystery leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 PM

Default xB 2004 mystery leak

My (original owner) xB 2004 has developed a mystery leak that wets the area under the sun visors when it rains (both sides). The dealer won't touch it. I had leak experts have a look, then finally replaced the windshield with no luck stopping the leak. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone else had this issue?
Love the car but this leak is driving me crazy.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-12-2018 at 12:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it have a sunroof added? If so the sunroof drains may be clogged. If the car is completely stock the windshield is still your likeliest candidate.

Make sure the windshield was installed properly, this means it was taped or supported while the adhesive dried,. If it isn't, it can slip down and leave a gap at the top. If there is a space between the rubber at the top of the windshield & the body it is not in right and water can get in there(I know because it happened to me).

Another tiny, but existent possibility is where the roof rail meets the roof and is covered by the black rubber strip. Peel that back and see if there is any rust or cracks in the body there that might be letting water in.

I would suggest taking out the headliner so you can see the inside of the roof, then having someone spray the hell out of the outside of the car for a while with a hose wit ha strong spray nozzle while you stay inside and look for wet spots. It water may be coming in somewhere else and being channeled to the front of the headliner by the inner structure.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:39 PM

No Sunroof. As I noted the windshield had been replaced and it still leaked. Finally brought in a "water doctor" that's what he called himself. He spent about an hour spraying and looking and moving the car into different positions. He came to the conclusion that there was a hairline crack leaking somewhere in the weld of the roof to the body and sprayed rubber sealant up and around the seams. So far so good but we haven't had a typical Florida downpour. Hoping for the best. It made it through the car wash with no leak.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Having this issue now in my 2004 xB RS1.

Thought it was my windshield and safelite did a pressure test, no leaks.

I'm starting to think this might be a very common thing now. I think the pinch weld or some other roof part gets a tiny tiny tiny crack (stress related) and over time starts to let in water.

It's happened to me 3-4 times over the past couple of years. I'm going to remove the headliner in a few weeks and start investigating.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM

AKgoalie7 see my post from January, well no more leak the water doctor did the trick and saved my Scion. He guaranteed his work for one year but I don't think we will need him again we've had many torrential rains and the car stays dry. Must have been a hair line crack in one of the welds in the roof.
Good Luck, don't give up, great car.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by docviper
AKgoalie7 see my post from January, well no more leak the water doctor did the trick and saved my Scion. He guaranteed his work for one year but I don't think we will need him again we've had many torrential rains and the car stays dry. Must have been a hair line crack in one of the welds in the roof.
Good Luck, don't give up, great car.
I'm going to spray that flex seal stuff when I get the headliner out and find the crack.

Don't give up? Hell no, i'm going to drive this thing into the ground!