Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Oil Quality- Jiffy Lube

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You just used "quality" and "Jiffy Lube" in the same sentence

What kind of oil do they use? No oil, because they usually don't even do what you pay for anyway

Honestly, I'm not even exaggerating. Talk to people who once worked for JL and had the wisdom to get the hell out. They can tell you plenty of horror stories...
Old 05-31-2007, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jiffy lube sux IMO. I took my TC there for the 3rd oil change, (needed it in a rush and couldn't wait for Toyota to do it) and as I roll up the grease monkey comes out and asks what oil I want to put in it. I told him 10w30 and he looks at me and says "you want to put REGULAR oil in THAT???" I asked him what he recommended and he said full synthetic and that was the only kind he would put in there. I told him I would go somewhere else if he didn't put in 10w30 and he told me he wouldn't be responsible for any warranty issues for using the wrong oil.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midgie
Jiffy lube sux IMO. I took my TC there for the 3rd oil change, (needed it in a rush and couldn't wait for Toyota to do it) and as I roll up the grease monkey comes out and asks what oil I want to put in it. I told him 10w30 and he looks at me and says "you want to put REGULAR oil in THAT???" I asked him what he recommended and he said full synthetic and that was the only kind he would put in there. I told him I would go somewhere else if he didn't put in 10w30 and he told me he wouldn't be responsible for any warranty issues for using the wrong oil.
Shouldn't you be using 5w30?

And chances are, he just dropped some 10w30... or 20w30... those guys don't really look.

Heck, its commonplace in Jiffy Lube to pump out your existing oil, run it through some machine, then pump it back into the engine.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34

And chances are, he just dropped some 10w30... or 20w30... those guys don't really look.

Heck, its commonplace in Jiffy Lube to pump out your existing oil, run it through some machine, then pump it back into the engine.
The manual showed 10w30 as being ok so that's what I assume should go in it. My point in my previous post was that the JL guy wanted to upsale me to synthetic and then tried to scare me about using anything other than synthetic. Obvs he didn't know crap about scions.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34

The manual showed 10w30 as being ok so that's what I assume should go in it. My point in my previous post was that the JL guy wanted to upsale me to synthetic and then tried to scare me about using anything other than synthetic. Obvs he didn't know crap about scions.
Gotcha. Chances are he would've said that to anyone with a new-ish car.

I'm also pretty sure he tried to trick you solely because you are a female.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
Originally Posted by BOXED N
...I use to put tranny oil in my motor to flush it prior to every other oil change in my GSX. Just add 1qt with the old oil, run it for a couple minutes & then change it. My oil always had that nice golden color.
I'm not so sure that this is something that I'd want to try. I'd just assume take it the have it power flushed every 20,000 miles or so. Scott, your thoughts?
"Power flush" is a ripoff. For that matter, anything that purports to clean deposits from your oil is a ripoff. For argument's sake, let's say that there are grunge-filled deposits clinging to the inside of your engines. If you do nothing, what will happen? They'll stay right where they are! Let's say you flush them loose somehow. In that case they will start to circulate with the oil. If they go through the pump they'll be caught in the filter. If they are already downstream of the filter, the grunge you broke loose goes right through your bearings, the last place you want them to be! Bad News!

Change your oil regularly and you won't have any buildup problems.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the only things that really need occasional flushing are the transmission and radiator/cooling system...
Old 10-19-2007, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do it yourseld man and get to know your ride.