Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Brake rotors and pad combo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation Brake rotors and pad combo?

I have a 2007 tC and I have 90k miles on my car with stock rotors. The rotors needs to be changed. I am looking for some decent rotors something that wont empty my pocket. I am looking for good quality but good price. I want good stopping power and almost no dust. Any output on both combos?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by cashvillem1
I have a 2007 tC and I have 90k miles on my car with stock rotors. The rotors needs to be changed. I am looking for some decent rotors something that wont empty my pocket. I am looking for good quality but good price. I want good stopping power and almost no dust. Any output on both combos?
Bam!

http://www.dezod.com/pd_dezod_motorsports.cfm
Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock rotors will do just fine. (replacement obviously) If you want low dust option, you need to look at ceramic style pads.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks good price on the dezod package. I also want to know if drilled/slotted brakes vs. none slotted/drilled is a real difference. not a BBK just some little more stopping power. Or is it just for looks?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

thanks good price on the dezod package. I also want to know if drilled/slotted brakes vs. none slotted/drilled is a real difference. not a BBK just some little more stopping power. Or is it just for looks?
Slots do make a difference when it comes to initial bite on the pad, but if you're trying to improve the overall performance without breaking the bank, a good blank AND a good pad will do the trick.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have any discount or any promos for your brakes? I am really liking these brakes here http://www.r1concepts.com/scion-tc-2...-PDS.44114.htm. What do you guys think? I dont know if its a good brand. Price seems reasonable.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Do you have any discount or any promos for your brakes? I am really liking these brakes here http://www.r1concepts.com/scion-tc-2...-PDS.44114.htm. What do you guys think? I dont know if its a good brand. Price seems reasonable.
Use "scikotics" when checking out.

I would advise staying away cross drilled and slotted. Effectively all you are doing is eliminating the contact patch you brake on because of all the jazz involved there. These factory rotors are arguably undersized as it is, and why would you want diminish it's capacity more by getting drilled and slotted?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why do you say stay away? I thought Slotted/Drilled brakes are better for stopping power. I am not expert here I am new to the whole car scene. Please explain. So a BBK that is drilled and/or slotted is not so great?? BTW, Thanks for the code.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Why do you say stay away? I thought Slotted/Drilled brakes are better for stopping power. I am not expert here I am new to the whole car scene. Please explain. So a BBK that is drilled and/or slotted is not so great?? BTW, Thanks for the code.
I will attempt to clarify very easily and briefly....

Your braking is done across a small surface on the face of the rotor. That is the only contact portion the pad has for friction. If you now have a hole (for a drilled spot) in the rotor where it was supposed to be a continuous contact patch on this small rotor, now you have removed an area of friction thus diminishing the effective braking zone. The only way to rectify this would be to do one of the two:

1) get a larger rotor, which is done with a Big Brake Kit. This is why it's called a BIG brake kit. It has much larger rotors and more surface braking area, however if you are not tracking the car, you will not see the benefits of this on the street.

2) don't have drilled holes on the factory sized rotors, which is what you linked me to rotor wise. It's only cosmetic. If you are truly in it for performance, a good blank and a top notch pad will be all you will need on the street.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you get drilled or slotted you will eat throw pads faster. If you just want low dust, get a blank rotor and good set of pads.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I definitely get what you guys are saying. I appreciate the patients. I will look into some blank ones, the dezod ones seem really good for the price. I will order them hopefully tomorrow or tonight. What kind of pads would you guys recommend? I want the least amount of dust, since I have aftermarket wheels and it looks dull with the ones I got on now (stoptech pads)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Ok, I definitely get what you guys are saying. I appreciate the patients. I will look into some blank ones, the dezod ones seem really good for the price. I will order them hopefully tomorrow or tonight. What kind of pads would you guys recommend? I want the least amount of dust, since I have aftermarket wheels and it looks dull with the ones I got on now (stoptech pads)
Ceramics!

Yeah our package is kick ___ and includes shipping. Eliminates all of the guess work.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

any brand in particular?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

any brand in particular?
Electing the one from the drop down menu is the Posi Quiet aka StopTech brand.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, check out this link, this would be a substantial upgrade in braking power, without breaking the bank....the real gains are seen here with the stainless steel braking lines and better fluid:

http://www.sciongeneration.com/stopt...ionlifegb.html
Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 PM

I have used this on-line place caled Rockauto.com and theyhave everything and everything you can get for cars. even oem parts. i used the Bendix pads for Daily drivers and Raybestos for rotors. I drive 30k plus miles a year and i push my scion pretty hard on the hwy and never had a problem. Very little dust with ceramic pads and rotors are good.

good luck.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like my setup, Akebono premium ceramics pads, and ATE slotted rotors. No dust what so ever, or that i notice.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 AM
SL Member

i agree with the brake fluid change, this will prevent brake fading (eg. when you're riding on your brakes down the mountains, your brakes start to lose friction due to heat).
Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Electing the one from the drop down menu is the Posi Quiet aka StopTech brand.
Hi there. Im looking to change my generic sears brake pads to possibly with either Posi-Quiet Ceramic or Posi-Quiet Extended Wear Semi-Metallic. In your opinion which would be better?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by jazzper2011
Hi there. Im looking to change my generic sears brake pads to possibly with either Posi-Quiet Ceramic or Posi-Quiet Extended Wear Semi-Metallic. In your opinion which would be better?
I would prefer a ceramic personally. Not too much of a fan of the extended wear because there is a lot of metallic in the compound.

Quick Reply: Brake rotors and pad combo?