Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Idea for a radar dash mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Idea for a radar dash mount

Ok, so i have a new beltronics RX65 PRO and think, that maybe a less noticeable may to mount it would to frabicate a platform to mount it on my center dash so that it could blend into the dash more than just this detector just stuck on the windshield.

My reason for a stealthy platform to center mount it is that, today i was on my way to work to just pop in and make some sauces for them. I was driving along, and a police SUV drove by me and then immediatly made a U turn and was the second car behind me. Now, I wasnt speeding and my radar was on but I would assume like most cops, he had reasonable doubt that I may or could be speeding. So he tracked behind me to see if he could pace me perhaps, idk if they can do that 1 car behind the target.

SO, im thinking of making a FG mount that would accomindate any radar detector and also incorprate a non digital compass and perhaps a note pad. im gonna make it so that the radar detector rests on it with velcro and have it so the buttons are accessable and the 360 dergree sensor is not obstructed and maybe have it jut out a bit over the vent area so i can Hard wire it and make it cover up the wire heading under the air vents. Anyone think this is a good idea ? sould be easy to remove detector if pulled over and say "u just saw my dash mount for compass and notepad" its not a detector." I'll post pics when i have a rough idea on shape

its still cold and snow outside in maine, so i'll have to wait on actual FG work.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I mounted mine above the rearview mirror, pulled the wires up above the headliner and tied the power into the orange cable on the sunroof controls, before the harness, and the ground onto a screw up top above the light switches. I know it isn't the best for detecting laser, but let's be honest, once your lidar detector rings, you're done anyway. I like it because it is stealthy, not to obvious, and gets rid of the nasty cables hangin down to the cig lighter. It took about 20 minutes total. You're idea sounds good, but it's a ton of work and it obstructs your view. PM me if you have questions about it.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cut out a square under the center heater vents and above the radio and put it there. Ive seen boost contrllers there before.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

cut out a square under the center heater vents and above the radio and put it there. Ive seen boost contrllers there before.
it's a radar detector. it has to have visibility through the windshield to work at all.

i also mounted my radar detector just above the rear view mirror with the cable running inside the headliner down to the fusebox. it's a great location for detection and also for physical access so i can mute it in high activity areas. I have a V1 so having it up high is a good thing so that it can detect out both the front and rear windows.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the only problem with the rear view mount is that i have windshield decal on my windshield. And also a CF GT style spoiler up high so its not best for 360 dergree detection? idk also is it viewable from the sides that there is a detector there? also i want to be able to quickly remove it with out probs in case of "another incident"
Old 04-08-2007, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ican remove mine really quickly, but you have to remember that cops are trained to look for "furtive movements" once they pull you over or when they are behind you. It will be straight up obvious if you are taking down a radar detector no matter what you do. NIce thing about the rearview mirror mount is that when they are standing up looking down and you through your window, they can't see it.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dektC
it's a radar detector. it has to have visibility through the windshield to work at all.

i also mounted my radar detector just above the rear view mirror with the cable running inside the headliner down to the fusebox. it's a great location for detection and also for physical access so i can mute it in high activity areas. I have a V1 so having it up high is a good thing so that it can detect out both the front and rear windows.

take the sensors out of the detector and remote mount them at the base of the windshield.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by redwar1441
Originally Posted by dektC

take the sensors out of the detector and remote mount them at the base of the windshield.
thats a good idea but do i really want to take apart my MSRP 329.95$ radar detector? idk if i had another one or a cheap one to play around with i would but i got mine at like 200$ if anyone had a DIY or something i might.