Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]
View Poll Results: Which type gas do you use...regular, plus, or supreme?
Plus
18.60%
Regular
72.09%
Supreme
9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Which type gas do you use...regular, plus, or supreme?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

supreme in my matrix, regular in the xA
Old 02-16-2004, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

first fill up today regular
Old 02-17-2004, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member

Default so sad

Originally Posted by Pablo xB
:D Hey I was just saying that this works for me. To each his own.

I'll stick withmy premium.
my god, after all that, this guy is still going to buy premium, i usually don't call people names on forums, but if i had to pick one for you, it would be... moron.

if you admit that you buy it because it makes you "feel" better, than i can accept it, but if you actually believe it makes your car drive better/faster, the name sticks (and sticks well).
Old 02-17-2004, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: so sad

Originally Posted by stnley
Originally Posted by Pablo xB
:D Hey I was just saying that this works for me. To each his own.

I'll stick withmy premium.
my god, after all that, this guy is still going to buy premium, i usually don't call people names on forums, but if i had to pick one for you, it would be... moron.

if you admit that you buy it because it makes you "feel" better, than i can accept it, but if you actually believe it makes your car drive better/faster, the name sticks (and sticks well).
Hey I know what I've experienced in my car, I'm not saying any of you are right or wrong. I'm just giving my opinion and people just want to start trouble.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright people, lets not resort to name calling. We all know there are people on this forum who are less informed than others. All we can do is provide the information, as George did so well, and let people take what they want from it.
We all see these debates from time to time. The one that most vividly comes to mind is the oil debate. Some people in this country believe that just because something is more expensive it must be the thing to use. This became evident on another forum when someone mentioned he used redline oil in his SEDAN. His only defense was that it was used in racing and therefore MUST be the best in every application. People tried to tell him up down and sideways that it was a waste of money, but did he listen....NOPE

Bottom line: If people want to pay $2.00+- more per fill, go right ahead, not gonna hurt my feelings.

With that said, lets talk about the owners manual. Some people only use 87oct because thats what the manual says and not because they understand the differences in combustion. With respect to the fuel requirement the manual is right on, but only because the type of fuel needed isnt impacted by the way a person drives. Oil on the other hand is IMO. As far as I am concerned, when it comes to oil, the manual is written for a sunday driver. If you are the type person who likes to run at high rpms, it may be in your best interest to change your oil more frequently than 5-7k miles, unless of course you have no wish for that engine to run for a long time.
It may also be in your best interest to use a synthetic and learn how to properly break in your engine so synthetics can be used to their potential.
Engine break in and oil used IMO are absolutly relative to each user and mechanical longevity, all of which you will not find in the owners manual. So, I belive the OM is a baseline guide but not always the final word.

Just my .02

G
Old 02-17-2004, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I put 89 octane in my car and don't know if maybe seemed a tiny bit more powerful, but I noticed that it idled worse than it does when I put 87 into it. I did this twice to make sure it wasn't bad gas or something. Both time it was purchased at different stations.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i stick to the cheapest gas i can find as for the OIL, i switched to synthetic, and definately noticed a smoother running car, with easier starts, more power and mileage....more than i ever noticed with premium gas...again just my opinion
Old 02-17-2004, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't using premium gas in a car that's designed for 87 cause carbon build-up or something?

Whatever car I drive, I use what the factory recommends. Excpet when I had my Nissan Sentra that the timing was advanced on, then I used 92.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

First off, mentioned in another post is dynoing using a higher octane gas and getting lower numbers, I didn't find any chart.

Secondly, doesn't the scion have vvt (variable valve timing), which would cause the engine to advance its own timing when it didn't sense any knocks?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am waiting on my scion but I will most likely use reg.

I currently have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited I-6. It has 132K and I got it with 92K. Since I have gotten the Jeep I have used synthetic motor oil and reg gas and have experienced no pings (except for RACTRAC gas... AVOID!!!)and actually the engine tends to feel like it it idles and revs better dispite the age. Yeah, I am a hardcore Jeep fan so skip the insults... the only reson I'm getting rid of it is that 16mpg in the city is a pain (but always got 22mpg highway), and I really miss standard transmisson. Sorry west coast guys I have touble getting 16 Mpg when gas here is 1.48 a gallon reg. A scion would cut my bill in half.

My recommendation is to stick to reg and pay a bit more for synthetic It will definitly pay off!. And be fore warned most folks I have ever heard say once you switch to synthetic motor is a lifetime of the engine commitment... because it conditions the seals and gaskets) Oh a Note: I use Castrol Syntech but alot of my friends swear by Mobil One. Expect 4 to 6 bucks a pint.

-will
Old 02-17-2004, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, fellas. You've convinced me that I need to stick with Regular. :D