Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by wlfpck
Nice dude. That is really good information. I'll throw that in my auto transmission buildup guide when I get the chance.

Second... thanks for answering question number 4. I've been kindo of stuck on which transmission oil cooler to install. I currently have 2. One is the 29,000 btu from B&M and the other one is 20,000 (I think...). But the point is moot anyways as I am living in my university apartment and I don't even have the space/tools to change my own oil. ha ha

Also... I competely didn't think that the radiator heated up the transmission fluid. I guess I just kind of assumed that it would cool the fluid to some extent.

In that case, would it be better just to bypass the radiator as "stage 1" and then transmission oil cooler as "stage 2"?
well see if the engine is 220F the tranny will be 190 or so (through stock radiator), bypassed it sits at 160 and gets up to 200 after heavy boosting for a while.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ScionFred, what makes the B&M cooler different from something like the universal transmission cooler from Mishimoto, for example?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info! Being from Chicago and going to school in Colorado I definitely could use a cold fluid bypass.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll probably bypass the radiator just for the ease and because I plan to boost, hopefully over the summer. But i think I'll have mine mounted sideways.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 AM
SL Member

fred basically said it all. I went stand alone because of how the B&M Works will let liquid bypass until proper temp. bonus + bonus = love.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had my atf cooler coming off the radiator cooler output hose, then back into the tranny.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
I had my atf cooler coming off the radiator cooler output hose, then back into the tranny.
It will work, but on hot days tranny will get 200 pretty easy. I like to keep it around 160 cruising and under 200 at max. I had it that way, then got it to 220 after a couple hard pulls so decided to bypass. Much happier now that i did. However each application is different.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump
Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
SL Member

ok so new update. BC Cams are a no no. It was the cause of 3 vvt-i controllers burning out. Unless you are stand alone i have to say NO to the cams, save yourself some hassle. Ended up blowing the first motor. Its back up and running with Stock cams now, bc everything else. However they deny its anything to do with the cams, maybe the were defective. Either way unless your stand alone, and wanting to run under 10 psi do not get these cams! Unless they find out they were defective. I will update.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM
SL Member

Everything else is flawless. Now the vac. sits at 19 where it should be, instead of bouncing. VVTI graph is no longer bouncing, along with the timing. Stock cam on PNP / non stand alone chip are a must now to me.

Car is running amazing just picked it up 2 days ago, won a show in stockton, ca. Has been good times!

Fred, the SSE + unichip = win. No more problems =)
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 PM
SL Member

So just a little update.

I actually stoped using the SSE and now have it for sale =) The cams caused all of the tuning issues i had. I now have a flawless 18psi and 10psi map. No SSE just Unichip. No Codes. I did however purchase the V2 Split Second voltage clamp. Everything works like a charm no codes. At 18psi the OBD2 dyno while i was tuning picked up about 379 torque those are known to be within 3 to 4 percent of real. So i know now its screaming.

I actually went back to using the stock radiator and the Aftermarket Tranny Cooler. Put a 550 CFM monster fan on it and when i get about 210 i just flip the switch and it drops to 200 or below pretty fast. I have it hooked up after the stock cooler.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThatGuyAtGeweke
So just a little update.

I actually stoped using the SSE and now have it for sale =) The cams caused all of the tuning issues i had. I now have a flawless 18psi and 10psi map. No SSE just Unichip. No Codes. I did however purchase the V2 Split Second voltage clamp. Everything works like a charm no codes. At 18psi the OBD2 dyno while i was tuning picked up about 379 torque those are known to be within 3 to 4 percent of real. So i know now its screaming.

I actually went back to using the stock radiator and the Aftermarket Tranny Cooler. Put a 550 CFM monster fan on it and when i get about 210 i just flip the switch and it drops to 200 or below pretty fast. I have it hooked up after the stock cooler.
I thought you were supposed to bypass the stock cooler when you add aftermarket cooler.

And why did you go back to stock radiator?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 AM
SL Member

Why would you have to bypass? I just have 2 coolers now. Either one by themselves were not enough to keep it cool believe it or not. not with 110F + temps here.
I have the stand alone hooked up after the factory so it goes through it second. Then i can just flip the switch on the huge ___ fan to cool it fast. I like it a lot better than waiting for it to gradually cool.

I have always been on stock radiator, never have engine temp issues. But it unlike others has a tranny cooler inside =)

Running near 400 HP in 110+ temps with no aftermarket radiator.... with 0 overheating issues. I think those people telling you that you need an aftermarket are just trying to sell their product. Just saying.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:10 PM
SL Member

Hi Fred, yah that was one negative i noticed about the SSE. Its very very slow to respond aka change the short trim. After weeks if not months of tuning its all about getting the timing and Long Term fueltrim right in the unichip before it goes into OL aside from the Cam issue which affected my trims randomly every time i made a fuel change. Gradually building boost with the SSE worked great with the fueling but if you romped it on the go and it down shifted or even tried to take off, would get 14+ until the SSE kicked in and then went down to 9AFR of course thats too rich but thats how i figured it was the SSE telling the ECU what to do extremely slow.

Now im running the 5/8 main fuel line with 3/8 return and 55psi fuel pressure, unichip, rods, pistons, port and polish, valves, retainers, springs, torque damp, front and rear sways, trd lowing springs, and a rediculous stereo lol.

Got a website up at http://thumpbox.org

We are throwing another big ___ scion show the first of september also
Old 10-03-2012, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick question, where is your boost gauge tapped in to?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 PM
SL Member

Its tapped right where my fuel pressure hose meet and go into the motor. In my experience you want it as close as you can to the inlet on the engine.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
SL Member

Good to hear from you fred. It was definatly from the SSE you forget i had a chip as well. The SSE only controls short trim, yes at the time it was a ____ty map which was causing me to go lean until the SSE adjusted short term. On the unichip its as easy as keeping a -10% long term and right before OL aka 4th bar from the top adjusting to about a -15% long term which is adding 15%. that gives me a completely solid 12afr building up and 11.7 OL, taking 5 degrees out at the top. In car dyno is showing 283 and 331trq at 11psi these numbers are real within 5% either way. This built auto is laying down the ____. Ate my buddies turbo manual tc at 11psi.

SSE has a limit on how much boost you can run also and you can not take out any timing, on stock internals thats risky.

Everything else is good. Working on a stout 16 psi map right now. I work way too damn much. I will have time next month to go to the track and do some runs will also dyno right before the track. Cheers.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread....LOL. What just happened?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 AM
SL Member

lol fred dude really.

SSE controls voltage which in turn controls what to add or remove fuel? short trip brrrrrringo. Im running 550s and a 255 walbro 5/8 main feed 3/8 return you should know this man. I tune, you don't I do not need a lesson thanks though i appreciate it.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO tuning is more than simply changing cell values in a table and hoping to acheive a desired result without understanding how or why but if that's all the knowledge you desire, tune on brother.

Don't leave the forum dude, I'll go instead. I've had one foot out the door for over a year now and no interest or patience left.

Last edited by ScionFred; 12-02-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!