Notices
Scion iQ Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Really Disturbing.....NO Cruise Control !

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Really Disturbing.....NO Cruise Control !

Two iQs finally hit town and neither had wheels nor cruise. Gulf States Toyota is notorious for chiseling pennies so I went on an internet search about these two items....

The cruise may not ever be available in the iQ! My first year Yaris did not offer it but the next year Gulf States did at a reasonable price ($250). Independent prices were nearly $450!

I'm wondering if a distributor cruise will be available? The first year Yaris did not have a lead in the harness but became available later. I wonder if Euro or Asian iQs have cruise.

This would be a deal breaker for me. Then again, I came across and extended road test that said the iQ has a real battle making long slopes and that a cruise might not keep up with it.....which really means throttle input would be severe.

Anybody got any cruise control wisdom?

No Cruise
Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

A friend at Scion Corp explained to me that the iQ is not designed to be a long distance vehicle. With an 8.5 gallon fuel tank the range is not great enough to make long trips an easy task. It was designed as an urban commuter vehicle. According to my friend there are no plans to offer cruise control for the iQ as with the other Scion vehicles in the past, the xB, tC and xA were not available with cruise control from the dealer. Those models did have aftermarket cruise control available, maybe someone will produce one for the iQ.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As the other poster stated, given the cars mission in life, cruise was not even considered. I have read several articles stating as much.

Maybe in the future, but not now. Time will tell if the aftermarket will.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'ts the Gee Wiz for the US (Being that it uses gasoline instead of a battery).

Its mostly meant for inner city driving, and being easy to parallel park.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idk why ppl want to take small city cars on across country trips for
Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Exactly, the iQ was never meant for that kind of driving.
The 1st gen xB didn't have it either. I've gone 5 years without cruise and routinely take it on road trips.
It's not a big deal.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surfcitylocal
A friend at Scion Corp explained to me that the iQ is not designed to be a long distance vehicle. With an 8.5 gallon fuel tank the range is not great enough to make long trips an easy task. It was designed as an urban commuter vehicle. According to my friend there are no plans to offer cruise control for the iQ as with the other Scion vehicles in the past, the xB, tC and xA were not available with cruise control from the dealer. Those models did have aftermarket cruise control available, maybe someone will produce one for the iQ.
scion has always had a cruise at least as an option, the xA and xB did eventually have cruise control standard, it was a option before then. the tC always had cruise control.

the iQ would be the first to not have an option available. but like others have already said, the iQ is not meant to be a long distance car, it is for city driving and easy parking.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
scion has always had a cruise at least as an option, the xA and xB did eventually have cruise control standard, it was a option before then. the tC always had cruise control.

the iQ would be the first to not have an option available. but like others have already said, the iQ is not meant to be a long distance car, it is for city driving and easy parking.
I don't remember the xA or xB having cruise control as a standard feature or an available option. My xB was a 2006, the last year of the First Generation. Is it possible that cruise control was available in the Second Generation xB's?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

it was really hard to find and get one with it already installed, a lot of dealers had one available that was not factory but offered through the scion website, it was listed like all of the other options like wheels or exhaust.
if i remember right (its been years obviously) the 2006.5 year xBs had it standard.
they did a mid-cycle refresh that added a few things to the xB like steering wheel audio controls and iPod/AUX connectivity. the xA got all this at the start of its 2006 model year.
the steering wheel with the audio controls they put on the 2006.5 xB and 2006 xA was the same as the 2006 tC only it didn't have the fake leather material wrapped on it.
though, if it wasn't standard it still had it as an option at least.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

according to google the cruise control option was from rostra.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I find your avatar so disturbing. LOL
Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The Rostra cruise control wasn't available from all dealers. It was a 3rd party option and was sold on a dealer by dealer basis.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM

We've had a couple of trips of 200 miles round trip where I REALLY missed the cruise control to maintain a consistant speed on the freeway but even relative short trips, 10 miles or so, the cruise would be welcome.

Like so many enhancements added to cars over the years (decades for us codgers) like central locking, intermittent wipers, electric windows, etc, etc. they have really become expected. Of course lack of cruise control didn't stop us from buying the iQ.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
The Rostra cruise control wasn't available from all dealers. It was a 3rd party option and was sold on a dealer by dealer basis.
yes but was there a standard one at the end before they stopped production, that is what i can't remember right.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Gen-1 Scion xB came with a cruise installed by the distributor for a reasonable price of $250. But, my first year Yaris did not have it available at all!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty sure the only tCs without cruise are the Spec models. I've never seen a regular one without it.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the price cruise controlled should be installed.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah, my wife's xA's got no cruise control but is our go-to for cross country 200 mile treks. Foot gets real tired. I'd buy her CC in a heartbeat if I ever found a clip-on.

Took the iQ on that same trek. Suspension's so tight it became like riding a paint mixer after a while. Still have all our teeth, but not for lack of trying. Steering's nearly unstable, so that's a wearisome chore on cross-country runs too. Despite all that I'd covet a cruise control on the iQ too. If Toyota don't make one and nobody else does...I might break out m'own microcontroller n' give it a go.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by marsrvr
Yeah, my wife's xA's got no cruise control but is our go-to for cross country 200 mile treks. Foot gets real tired. I'd buy her CC in a heartbeat if I ever found a clip-on.

Took the iQ on that same trek. Suspension's so tight it became like riding a paint mixer after a while. Still have all our teeth, but not for lack of trying. Steering's nearly unstable, so that's a wearisome chore on cross-country runs too. Despite all that I'd covet a cruise control on the iQ too. If Toyota don't make one and nobody else does...I might break out m'own microcontroller n' give it a go.
Get a Rostra, should be able to do it on a Saturday project....
Old 03-10-2012, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dz302
Get a Rostra, should be able to do it on a Saturday project....
Cool. I'm hunting a retail quote for a 250-1755 for my wife's xA now. I didn't know those existed. Thanks for the tip

Apparently they don't offer a cruise control for the 2012 iQ...yet. Would somebody East Coast be a dear and lend them your iQ for a bit?

Quick Reply: Really Disturbing.....NO Cruise Control !