Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Brake pads at 9000 miles?!?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:23 PM

Default Brake pads at 9000 miles?!?

Hello All,

I just took my 2013 XB the into the dealer for standard 10k maintenance and was told that my front brake pads needed to be changed. One side had 1.5mm left and the other 2.5mm. I have noticed that there are noises when I brake and i did point that out to them when i dropped it off.

I have NEVER had to replace brakes on any car after 9,000 miles before... usually more like 25-30,000. I am not hard on the brakes at all, i do not do a lot of driving either. Does this seem weird to anybody else??

Please advise.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 PM

In November, (I had about 4500 miles) and Scion said that the brakes were at 9mm. So to go from 9mm to 1.5/2.5 seems weird to me.... just didnt know if anybody else had experience this.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy sh.t dude. I doubt they are pulling your leg. The only thing I can think is that you have a piston stuck, but then again... on both sides? The only other thing I can think of is that your rest your foot on the brake when you drive without knowing it. I see it all the time. I see brake lights even when people are accelerating... it's horrible. So maybe you're that guy. Otherwise, something is being stuck open, and that's why you hear it. They gotta be able to find the problem. What did they say?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:04 PM

I am the kind of guy who down shifts to avoid hitting the brakes as hard or as long.... i dont hit the brakes as I am driving (that I know of....)

They said that they see no problems with the calipers, and that this is something that does not seem unusual to them.... On a separate note, they also want over $300 to change my brakes which i was like NO WAY. I am trying to get them to replace the pads under warranty, but i do not think i am going to get anywhere with them.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, brake pads are not a warranty item, unless grouped in with another issue with the brakes. $300 is outrageous, seeing as how they have the tools and resources to do it in like 30 minutes. Since they are adamant about the brakes being fine, I would have them replaced and then keep an eye them this next time and see what happens. If it's doing it again, then you got something wrong obviously. I would think too, if you shaved off 8mm of pad in four months, you'd have quite the accumulation of brake dust on your wheels... Did you see these "bare" pads? And are they in fact that worn?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 PM

I really have not paid a lot of attention to seeing brake dust.... I will have to keep a closer eye on that.

and no i have not seen the pads with my own eyes... just going off of what they are telling me... and yea, i agree, 300 is a rip... they had the pads exposed in order to clean and measure them... it would have taken about 5 extra minutes to just pop the pad off, and put on a new one... grrr
Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know, it might actually have been a defective set of pads too... I just thought of that.

Go with another set of OEM, do not change to something else, that will give you skewed results, or might mask a problem. Get the same ones that were on it, and see how it goes, and let us know what you do and what happens.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats crazy. You can look at them yourself easily to verify or take it somewhere else.

FYI, mine have never been done.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my first xb brand new and sold it at about 38k miles... the one thing that always got me was how the xb always feels like its "rolling away" from you even when you let off the gas. during the 38k miles on my gen 1 xb, i changed the brake pads 3 times and the first time was around 15k miles. in city driving, the xb (both gen 1 and gen 2 (to a lesser extent)) feel like they are rolling and i apply the brake much more frequently than on other cars. other cars, you give gas and when you let off, the cars slow down but i have never felt this on the gen 1 box. i get a similar feeling on my 2013 xb - when you let off the gas, the car rolls along effortlessly and you are forced to use the brakes more.

the point im trying to make is that maybe it is related to this....? but i agree with you that 10k is far too soon to have your brakes changed... i was shocked when i had to replace them at 15k miles. it will be interesting to see how your new pads will hold up...

Last edited by midtowndesi; 04-17-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by snuffnchess
I am the kind of guy who down shifts to avoid hitting the brakes as hard or as long.... i dont hit the brakes as I am driving (that I know of....)

They said that they see no problems with the calipers, and that this is something that does not seem unusual to them.... On a separate note, they also want over $300 to change my brakes which i was like NO WAY. I am trying to get them to replace the pads under warranty, but i do not think i am going to get anywhere with them.
Cheaper to buy brakes than a new clutch. Better off braking in neutral.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're genuinely easy on your brakes and your wheels/alignment are true, then there's no logical explanation for excessive wear on the pads. My pads last pretty much forever because that's the way I drive. If they say you've accelerated wear, then my suggestion is take a close look at the pads yourself. If you choose to have them replace the pads, then require they return the original pads to you. Hopefully, you're aware you could also choose to replace the pads yourself! No third parties! There's no-one more interested in protecting your personal interest than yourself!
Old 04-19-2014, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB Brake pads

Yeah, I've worked in car dealerships and that's why I never even take my xB near a dealer when I have a maintenance issue. NEVER. Plus it costs way too much when you can have so many car shops all over the place that charge way less.

300 for brake pads? Insane. Just take it to a non-dealer shop and you'll be fine. If the new pads wear down just as fast you'll know then you have a real problem.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was searching for brake pad wear issues and it looks like I found some. My XB has 36K on it and needs new front pads and rotors, which I just ordered from Rock Auto (Bendix pads & Rotors) not that I have a preference, just didn't want to put the stock stuff back in.

I noticed that the discs had a wear ridge at the ID and OD (both sides), which it developed between 30 & 35K miles. Pads are now growling due to the wear ridge and they are quite worn down. Wasn't expecting this for quite some time, experience has been 60-80K miles, so this is early.

The pistons move easily and the slider pins are nicely greased and slide easy.
Rear discs are fine, lots of pad, smooth discs.

Just thought I would pass along the experience - perhaps its the ceramic pad material??? Too aggressive???
At least replacement parts are cheap from Rock Auto - $80 including shipping

The OEM tires are just about toast now as well. The insides of the front seemed to wear down first, but it's flat across the tread
Old 05-04-2014, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I got Bendix discs and pads for the replacement and the discs were fine but I had trouble getting the pads in with the new supplied hardware. In the end I had to file down the wide part of the pad on both ends so that the pads would fit in the pad holder.
Never had to do that before with pads - thanks Bendix, I'll get another brand of pads next time.

...or perhaps not...

Just came back from a few drives in the car, which has always had clunking in the steering - somewhere, could never find it - and the clunking has gone. Now this could be just pure luck, but I do think it is related to the OEM pads being loose in the pad holder and the bendix ones being tighter. If it continues to be clunk free over the next week or so, I'll post it as a possible solution.

Last edited by RichBinAZ; 05-05-2014 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Clunk be gone
Old 05-20-2014, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My brakes lasted up to about 55k that is insane at under 10k... and they took me less than an hour to to both my front brakes and rotors. For under $300 shipped I picked up Hawk HPS pads and centric rotors. The stopping power between those and stock is really nice.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Default 2014 XB front pads wearing at 10k

Originally Posted by snuffnchess
Hello All,

I just took my 2013 XB the into the dealer for standard 10k maintenance and was told that my front brake pads needed to be changed. One side had 1.5mm left and the other 2.5mm. I have noticed that there are noises when I brake and i did point that out to them when i dropped it off.

I have NEVER had to replace brakes on any car after 9,000 miles before... usually more like 25-30,000. I am not hard on the brakes at all, i do not do a lot of driving either. Does this seem weird to anybody else??

Please advise.

Thanks!
I have a 2014 xb that the pads are wearing at 10k. My 2006 xb has a documented front pad replacement history of 30k. I have filed a case with Toyota/ Scion. I believe this is an engineering design issue. Toyota is basically telling me in a nice way to "pound sand" If anyone else is having this issue please post as I want to get enough owners together so we can then file a group complaint to DOT (Dept of Transportation) if Toyota won't resolve our concerns.
Thanks
Old 09-19-2016, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) yes, i know im bumping a 2 year old thread

2) my maintenence req'd light came on and i think it's the brakes. im at 19k miles (almost 20k) and i will replace the pads. i just ordered both front and rear pads from trdsparks for $125 (shipping included).

going to look in my neighborhood for someone to change them. how much in labor should that be, ballpark? 150ish for both?