Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Toyota 2AZ-FE oil consumption TSB!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so your saying use 5w40 AAG? mine has always burned a ____ load of oil its horrible.

at this point im looking at a new motor, iidk how much a rebuild would go for on this engine or if it would be worth it
Old 12-03-2011, 12:20 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by gmc_113
so your saying use 5w40 AAG? mine has always burned a ____ load of oil its horrible.

at this point im looking at a new motor, iidk how much a rebuild would go for on this engine or if it would be worth it
No, I use 5w-20 but mine doesnt burn oil. I would though if I had oil consumption issues.

Have you replaced the pcv valve? Try those two things before buying/rebuilding the motor.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm only at 45000 miles....and I don't notice oil consumption. This is pretty weird, because the TSB is only for Toyota models but now it's also for Scion models of certain years with the 2AZFE. Well, unless anyone else is having problems at low mileage, higher mileage engines will just consume more oil. :/
Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive never changed the pcv valve? where is that?? is that the valve that goes into the intake through the rubber hose??
Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and yeah thats what i was asking lol shoulda been more specific. is it ok to use 5w40 for now??
Old 12-03-2011, 08:27 PM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

dang i have to be even more careful being boosted

but do oil change every 2k anyways and check very often anyways haha
Old 12-04-2011, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sp2
dang i have to be even more careful being boosted

but do oil change every 2k anyways and check very often anyways haha
Every 2000 miles....? At the risk of sounding rude, what is the logic behind this? Are you using oil from the 1980s? Anyways, because it's late over here and I'm pretty tired, I'll just show you the words of SAE.

"Title: Extended Oil Drain Intervals - Conservation of Resources Or Reduction of Engine Life (Part Ii)"
After reading that you may never change your oil again at even 10,000 miles!

There are millions of miles of oil analysis that not only prove short duration changes increase wear but also result in a lack of additive activation in the motor. If you own a Jiffy Lube then I would expect you to subscribe to the "3,000 mile Mentality" myth.

Oil additives are activated by heat and pressure. Due to the additives having to hold up over time i.e. longer than 10,000 miles the formulations take a certain period of time to become active in protecting the motor. Draining the oil at lets say 3,000 miles simply means the additives have just become active at the point you are draining your oil! In other words you are increasing wear by about 500% doing 3,000 mile drain intervals!

Oils that carry the extended drain ratings such as 506.01, 507.00 etc mean that the additives are formulated to remain active for periods up to 2 years, 40,000 kms or 640 hours of usage. Oils like Mobil 1 0w40 are formulated to withstand 400F sump temps WITHOUT breaking down and losing viscosity. Furthermore the oils cannot break down due to the PAO makeup of the oil. These oils do not rely on elastomers like the conventional oils do. This means that the oil can fully protect your motor at any temperature without the concern of thermal break-down and thinning out of grade.

If you doubt the 10K oil change intervals perform an oil sample at 1,000 miles. Most cars with a fresh sump of oil will peak out at the 1,000 mile mark. After that the wear metals may increase by only 5-10% over the course of 10,000 miles! Nearly 90% of the engine wear occurs in the first 1,000 miles on an oil change! Increasing oil change frequency increases the duration your engine spends in the activation period of the additives and greatly increases the damage in your motor from failing to follow the guidelines of the manufacturer.

Just looking at iron in a VW motor typical readings are around 20-35 ppm after 15,000 miles of use maximum on a motor that has more than 60,000 miles. The oil filter is not capable of filtering this much metal simply because the wear metals are so small they can't be filtered from the oil. Also because there is so little wear metal you do not get wear as a result of the metal being suspended in the oil.

Dispersant's require time to bond to the wear metals and byproducts in your engine oil. As byproducts such as soot (gasoline or diesel make soot just different sizes which discolor the oil) are created additives coat them and prevent them from clumping and becoming larger. Typical soot particles in diesel oil are in the nanometer range in terms of size 10 times smaller than what any bypass filter can even capture which is rated at 2 microns absolute. Your oil filter in your motor is rated at capturing particles in the 7 micron range with only a 75% first pass rating...Bottom line is your car would last forever if you change the oil every 20,000 miles and NEVER replace the oil filter simply because your motor is not making enough metal or by-products to ever get captured! Oils especially those for diesels can handle upwards of 8% soot, that my friend is a LOT of soot! To put that in perspective a typical motor after 25,000 miles without an oil change or filter change will only have 1% soot in the oil. This oil will appear tar black yet the oil still has 80% of its rated levels of protection remaining!

Most oils are limited by time in the sump rather than miles due to sulfur in the fuel. Most gasoline motors can safely go 2 years between changes when using quality oils formulated for extended drains such as Mobil 1 0w40 and Truck and SUV 5w40. These oils along with those sold as VOW 506.01 have very high TBN ratings that neutralize acid formation for upwards of two years (1 year in diesels due to higher sulfur content which causes the acids).

Here's the deal, forget the myths about frequent oil changes and basing your perceptions on how the oil looks. The best advice is use a quality oil and drain it at the specified interval. The worst thing you can do to a modern car is over maintain it, yes this is possible due to the very specific regimen that VW engineers figured out to keep your car running at peak performance with maximum durability.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:53 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

well the thing is my 2az fe is running 300whp daily driving so turbo burns the oil even quicker, but for me i rather be safe then sorry

ppl may think waste of money but for me its no big
Old 12-04-2011, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sp2
well the thing is my 2az fe is running 300whp daily driving so turbo burns the oil even quicker, but for me i rather be safe then sorry

ppl may think waste of money but for me its no big
You obviously didn't read a single word of what I posted. You're not allowing the oil to activate it's additives, which means you're increasing the wear of your motor. So you're damaging your motor and wasting your money. If it "burns the oil even quicker", why don't you just add oil instead of replacing it completely? I've never had a car (old or new) that went through oil so fast that you had to REPLACE it every 2000-3000 miles. I'm somewhat skeptical of the 2AZFE consuming/burning oil because some people either:

1) Don't maintain their cars (yes, some people here do not know what they're doing)
2) Have high mileage
3) Turbo (and once again, a lot of people have a lack of knowledge as to maintaining a turbo car. Especially one that's not turbo from the factory)
4) Change their oil too much. (increase wear)

Then again, points 1-4 are all interchangeable and all have to do with the competance of an owner. Also I'd like to point out that I'm not trying to be rude and sorry if any of you feel offended by it.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:05 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

im not offended
I'm just following the care instructions that Descendent racing that built and installed my turbo has told me to do to maintain my car.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sp2
im not offended
I'm just following the care instructions that Descendent racing that built and installed my turbo has told me to do to maintain my car.
I guess if they told you that, I guess you should stick with that.....
Old 12-05-2011, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Using 0-w20, I would burn about 1/3-3/4 a qt every 3k.

Using 5w-30, I don't burn any, or at least, not enough to notice.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Using 0-w20, I would burn about 1/3-3/4 a qt every 3k.

Using 5w-30, I don't burn any, or at least, not enough to notice.

yup,i have a 06 scion tc...i use mobile 1 5w-30 dont burn any noticeable oil...im about at 71k miles
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would they still cover this under warranty if I were to add a header to the car?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vulkinator
Would they still cover this under warranty if I were to add a header to the car?
Originally Posted by Vulkinator
You give them an easy excuse to deny warranty work. Also, you would be brave driving around in California with the removal of an emissions required part that is a HUGE fine in that state.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 PM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

daily drive boosted no cats in ca
Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
You give them an easy excuse to deny warranty work. Also, you would be brave driving around in California with the removal of an emissions required part that is a HUGE fine in that state.
Well I guess I will just wait to install the header till after they do the work. I plan on somehow making the heat shield fit over the header to better my odds against the cops noticing anything different.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just recently started to notice that my oil seemed to be lower than expected... thanks for posting this up guys!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Going into the dealer tomorrow for this.
Need top raise my coils first
i'll bring feedback first thing.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brought my tC in this morning.
They did a routine maintenance check and began an oil consumption test. Took a little over 2 hours.
We'll see how it goes.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-13-2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge

Quick Reply: Toyota 2AZ-FE oil consumption TSB!