xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Air Filter: Cabin Filter Fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ACC Cabin filter

Also, too many "layers" 15 bounty sheets and a filter or multiple filters could prevent air from getting through in an efficient manner, there is a certain cfm that has been calculated for our systems wether it be your home, business or xb
Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Winter
so um... i noticed something. i saw this thread and decided to check my filter and see if it was cleanable or if i needed a new one... get this... there isn't even a freakin filter in the tray?!?! what the hell??

so i could be breathing in toxins and not know it... very comforting...
Econo-Cars come without a lot of "optional" accessories - floor mats, lighted drink holders, upgrade head units, cabin air filters, etc.

It's just something that is an extra you add if you want it.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

just glad I have a back seat....
Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you're right, incence smoke would stain the headliner and possibly deposit a small layer of corrosion on electrical contacts. My favorite is vanilla-amber.

Kerry
Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice info!

Thx

John
Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kerry
I think you're right, incence smoke would stain the headliner and possibly deposit a small layer of corrosion on electrical contacts. My favorite is vanilla-amber.

Kerry
Does Tomas know?!??
Old 04-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We're watching...

Old 04-09-2008, 04:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(Sorry for the double post, but Vanilla now has a little more amber, too...)

Old 06-05-2008, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so i just made a filter for my xb and i was looking at the 2nd filter thats missing, and i noticed on the back of the glove box theres a piece of what looks like deadner. Could it be possible that piece acts as a filter/sound deadner?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 2nd filter is a mystery to all of us.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TerrorCrew
Ok so i just made a filter for my xb and i was looking at the 2nd filter thats missing, and i noticed on the back of the glove box theres a piece of what looks like deadner. Could it be possible that piece acts as a filter/sound deadner?
It looks like shredded denim, right? It's a sound-deadening mat. I put a bunch of that under the carpet in the rear of the toaster, and I'm going to put a bunch under the carpet in the seating area. That, together with a couple layers of eDead did wonders.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! I've had my Penny since March of '07 and I've had this DIY bookmarked for at least a year. Penny just went in for her 15K service and I can't believe I didn't do this a long time ago! Just recently I started noticing a moldy smell when I turn on the A/C but once I did this no more moldy smell! I went double sided with the filter and put one "Bounce" sheet in between for just a hint of that fresh laundry smell. MMM! Thanks to the original post. Well over four years old and this DIY is still serving happy customers!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shorberg
am i to beleive that scion would sell us a car with no air filter at all? or am i just not reading right at 11:15 pm? if so, i am marching into work tommorrow and having one installed for the full price of whatever toyota charges for this service, lol
Thank god for this thread lol

I went into my dash today to fix some radio issues and was like wth lemme check that filter thing i read about

Sure enough...nothing lol

I got my xB second hand and my gf is ALWAYS sneezing with allergies HOPEFULLY this alleviates that

Thanks !
Old 09-05-2008, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Satmax
First of all, props to rbloedow for this great post!

I ran straight to Wal-Mart after I read this thread at work. I was about to buy a filter just like the one he showed in his pics when I saw something that might be a bit easier to install and have all the same pros as his air filter project.

I picked up the WEB ABSORBER. It's an insert made for home a/c units. This filter has an electrostatic filter with an adhesive layer and then an activated charcoal filter. The filter also comes with a black plastic grid and you can trim this filter to fit all size of ducts. I thought this would work perfectly for our filter trays so I brought it home.

Once I got the size figured out, I just started cutting with scissors. I trimmed up the black plastic grid and then layered the filters in order and placed the grid on top. NO tape needed. The tray's retaining pegs on the top of the tray held down the plastic grid. The filter was also thick and spongy enough that it fit like a glove and didn't bulge.

Here are some pics of the supplies and the finished product. I thought it looked rather OEM-ish after I was done!

I've used this setup and it works real well.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

woah
Old 10-31-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by koalaty2
Actual size of filter needed is 7-15/16 x 8-1/5 x 5/8. The wed absorber works great, as stated before, and 6 per filter. With the charcoal, should get rid of most odors. The air flows down through the filter, so the carbon filter should be on bottom so the air is already filtered when it hits the cardon one. Also I worried about breaking the box to get it by the side tabs, so I took out the glove box by prying it off its clips in each corner, (after opening the door a little (used wide bladed screwdriver. covered with felt to protect bottom edge of glovebox), and then it comes right out. The tabs on the side are tapered, so to get it back together, pop it on the bottom clips, and just close with steady pressure. Works great. Have to try it out on a drive by a cattle yard in a couple of weeks to see how the carbon does its job.
The above thread helped me a lot, it was very easy to remove the glove box by using a screwdirver at the bottom to gently pry it apart from the plastic hinge. I couldn't find the Web Absorber at Walmart but they had something exactly like it called "Purity"...$8.88 and you can make 6 filters, what a great diy!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member

Default Size Question

Anyone have the exact size of these filters?
This way I could buy one the would allow no waste
Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flipguy206
Wow! I've had my Penny since March of '07 and I've had this DIY bookmarked for at least a year. Penny just went in for her 15K service and I can't believe I didn't do this a long time ago! Just recently I started noticing a moldy smell when I turn on the A/C but once I did this no more moldy smell! I went double sided with the filter and put one "Bounce" sheet in between for just a hint of that fresh laundry smell. MMM! Thanks to the original post. Well over four years old and this DIY is still serving happy customers!
I had a similar odor so I bought a can of "Pure Air" and per instructions sprayed it into the vents near the windshield wipers. The masking perfume was a bit strong for a few days but it did remove the mildew-like odor.

Like another poster I places a square of Carbon filter as the last filter and it seems to help with odors.

Kerry
Old 07-13-2014, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flipguy206
. . . and put one "Bounce" sheet in between for just a hint of that fresh laundry smell. MMM!
I think the Bounce sheet isn't porous enough. It might restrict the flow of air to your AC.

Kerry
Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uwintoday
Anyone have the exact size of these filters?
This way I could buy one the would allow no waste
8.6 X 7.7 inches, no more than 3/4 inch tall, Sara.

Quick Reply: Air Filter: Cabin Filter Fabrication