Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sound Deadening Guide for Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can we get those pics back up
Old 05-08-2007, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coregmrconman
can we get those pics back up
I second that...
Old 05-29-2007, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Xb Road Noise

I've been using Damplifier on my xB piecemeal.

Did the hatch first -- 2 layers of Damplifier on metal, one layer of Overkill foam behind interior panel. Noticeable improvement, but not as good as I'd hoped. In particular, the exhaust drone was not affected as much as I'd hoped. Still, there was enough improvement that I continued. Based on what I've learned since, I may go back and add an Overkill/Damplifier/Overkill sandwich to the exterior sheetmetal here.

Did the rear quarters and the floor behind the front of the back seat. Two layers of Damplifier on the rear quarters, with some Overkill foam behind the speakers. 1-2 layers of Damplifier on floor from rear up under back seat. 1 layer of Overkill foam under the carpet, not glued down. Somewhat reduced tire/road noise. Slightly reduced exhaust noise.

Did the doors. Damplifier all over the outer sheetmetal, foam behind the speakers. Better, and I like the solid "whump" when they close, no more tin-can sounds. Note that I did NOT replace the vapor barrier with Damplifier like some others have done. There may be more to be gained here, but I don't like the compromised access for repairs that comes with that approach.

Did the engine compartment in two stages. First stage was to remove the noise blanket under the hood, cover the exterior sheet metal with Damplifier (2 layers), then cover the portions of the back side of the noise blanket that extended farthers from the hood (the deepest dimples). Note that the Damplifier barely sticks to this stuff, but gravity holds it in place. The idea was to provide some acoustic mass for this very light noise blanket, sort of like the foam/lead/foam acoustic sandwiches. The improvement here was noticeable.

Second stage on the engine compartment was to cover the entire back side of the noise blanket (except for 1.5" circles where the clips go through) with another layer of Damplifier. Also covered insides of fenders (the portions accessible from inside the engine compartment) and the underside of the tinny crossmember that holds the hood latch. This was by far the biggest win. The engine roar at highway speeds is much more muted now. I'm hearing other noises that I never heard before. =8^)

You ask about "road noise", which is a specific source of noise, but I believe that you really meant "noise when you're going down the road". Based on my experience, I'd have to say:
1. Engine hood (do a good job here)
2. Doors
3. Hatch/trunk lid
4. Rear quarter panels/fender wells
5. Floor

I haven't tried the footwells or the roof yet. Based on my experience with the trunk floor, I'm not expecting wonders from the footwells. However, the front footwells should improve things on noisy or wet roads. As for the roof, I think that most of the improvement there would be noise levels in the rain. Given the level of effort involved, I'm not planning to do the roof.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Those seeking pics of a nice xB install should go here: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forum...ead.php?t=1558

Similar to what I did to the interior, except that this guy also uses Spectrum, uses heavier Damplifier, and adds foam to his door panels. This last is something that I plan to go back and add to mine.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
Pscifun
SL Member

This is awesome info. Thanks for the info guys, I am seeing my next project
Old 08-30-2007, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by rrusk9
Those seeking pics of a nice xB install should go here: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forum...ead.php?t=1558

Similar to what I did to the interior, except that this guy also uses Spectrum, uses heavier Damplifier, and adds foam to his door panels. This last is something that I plan to go back and add to mine.
Awesome link!!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ yes very nice indeed!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Thanks for the thread i was thinking of doing the whole car with the stuff on the bottom but didnt know if it really would work lol. I was also thinking of doing the dyno mat to.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Im planning on using Damplifier pro as well as upgrading my front shocks to monroes...hoping my ride will be smoother and less noisy! I have a nice loud system too, so thatd be nice if it sounds greater haha...Im prolly gonna takle this within the month...so maybe Ill post what i notice....my front shocks have over 120,000 miles on them, im hoping this is the reason my ride sux mostly....
Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Im planning on using Damplifier pro as well as upgrading my front shocks to monroes...hoping my ride will be smoother and less noisy! I have a nice loud system too, so thatd be nice if it sounds greater haha...Im prolly gonna takle this within the month...so maybe Ill post what i notice....my front shocks have over 120,000 miles on them, im hoping this is the reason my ride sux mostly....
Old 10-23-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why keep this stickied without pics?

ttiwwop
Old 11-16-2008, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

whats up with the pics? anyway to bring em back?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, pix? I want to see what all was done with 50sqft..
Old 02-16-2009, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Just did 60 sq ft of Hushmat in my xB. I need another 40 sq ft to complete the interior (remaining: 2 doors, roof, firewall). I gutted everything down to the bare floor. 60 sq ft covered the entire back hatch, the floor (front to back), wheel wells, and two doors. Along with the hushmat, I also added a layer of polyethylene closed cell foam (1/4" thickness) to the two doors, hatch, and floors. I added a layer of foam covering the access hatches to the taillights. You can find that stuff pretty cheap from most hardware stores in the flooring area.

At this time, I still have some highway noise and engine noise. The exhaust noise is completely gone. Sorry I don't have any pics to offer of this as it was done by myself along with a few other mods over a couple days. I didn't have time to stop and take pictures.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is an older thread but anyway of having the pictures sent to me or put back on?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default Also Looking For Pictures

Originally Posted by StarSk8er_00
I know this is an older thread but anyway of having the pictures sent to me or put back on?
Just bought a 2006 XA and am also researching sound deadening - any more install pictures available?
What's the current best deal on mterials?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess no one has pics?
Old 01-24-2014, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member

I concur. What's up with lots of the older posts having no pics?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look into Dynamat or Hushmat
Old 12-19-2019, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why do no pictures show up on this forum. its not just this thread but just about every topic i visit. is it because this forum is so old? can it be fixed?