Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Cabin Air Filter (Homemade)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, so after reading all of this i have two questions lol should i put a filter in there or not? and if so which one?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member

I have been using a filter since I first saw this post back in the spring and I couldn't be more pleased. I've changed it every three months - you can not believe how dirty that thing gets - the filter turns black. I also use it in conjunction with the 1z einszett Klima Cleaner which cleans the evaporator core of mildew, etc.

Those two combined and I get clean fresh air... on SoCal highways
Old 11-29-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok cool but i dont use my ac that much but sometime with the windows up and the ac off it smells weird so thats y im wanting to do this. dose it matter what type of filter i get?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member

I used the 3M Filtrete because it's one of the better ones. I got 4 filters out of one sheet... sorry, I don't know the size of the filter I got off hand. Even the most expensive filter is a fraction of the price of the filter you can buy from the dealership so don't skimp.

The most important thing you have to remember is to make sure you install the filter in the correct position based on the air flow. Otherwise you will restrict the flow of air and put stress on the system. This is mentioned in prior posts but I thought I'd point it out again.

It only takes a few uses of the a/c for condensation to build on the evaporator core and in turn create an atmosphere for mold and mildew to grow therefore creating that odor. I like the Klima Cleaner because it cleans the surface, kills the mildew/moldew, bacteria and then prevents in from coming back in the near term. The einszett site has some labratory docs to confirm its effectiveness.
Link:
http://www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/plasticvinylrubbercare1/
Old 11-29-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok cool can u get that stuff at like auto zone or somthing?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member

No. They have a few retailers across the country but I could only find it at the einszett website's online shop at 1z-usa.com. It's a more specialized product coming from Germany.

I did find a few other a/c cleaners out there but they were all the type where you spray the product into the return section of the system. It was no different than spraying Lysol into the return. On the other hand, when you apply Klima Cleaner, it dispenses a foam that goes through the vents and on to the evaporator core. Then you can see the used product dripping out from underneath the car from what they call the evacuation tube. This is where excess moisture from the evaporator core leaves. Technical stuff but I know the product is getting where I want it to go.

Tip: The can directions suggests to dispense the full can but you can get two applications out of it. I also dispensed it in the right passenger vent vs. the center vent as suggested in the directions.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I’ve been using the XBs replacement filter for as long as I had my tc. It fits in perfectly in the tc’s tray.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last edited by Earlskey; 07-07-2020 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member

First, do not apply when driving

The product comes with a tube that's maybe just over a foot long. You see, all the vents lead to a box that holds the evaporator core. This box is usually located in the area under the dash, behind the glove box. So the idea is to access the vent that has the shortest route to the box with the evaporator core. I found on the TC that it's the passenger side vent. I have a bmw and it's the center vent. Every car is different.

According to the direx on the label, make sure the vents are on the 'fresh' air setting. With the car off, the fan on off, insert the tube through the vent all the way and hold the trigger on the can down. This will dispense the foam through the system (you will hear it). Continue to spray until about half the can is dispensed.

Next step, wait for 30 minutes to let the product do its thing.

After 30 minutes, open all the windows, turn the fan on (don't have to have a/c on just the fan) all the way to the highest setting. This will blow out any remaining product from the system. Do this for maybe 10 seconds and then you're done.

You'll get a citrus scent from the product initially but it lasts no more than a day. After that, the 'smell' should be neutral. Odor gone. I do this about twice a year or when I change the filter.

Doing the filter and Klima Cleaner really help with my allergies and no one complains that it smells like cat ____ when I turn the air on
Old 11-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the A/C radiator is almost directly under the big center defrost vent... The heater and A/C radiators are both above the transmission hump, to the left of the blower assembly.

See:
http://tijil.org/tC_heat_AC_55-5.gif
and
http://tijil.org/tC_heat_AC_55-31.gif

Whatever vents you stick this stuff in, at least make sure that particular vent is open.

Another thing to do, to kill things most throughly from both ends is to remove the filter, put the empty filter drawer back in, turn on the blower and put in an alcohol/water mix from the OUTSIDE vent.

See:
http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/t...p?p_faqid=4243

Best to have the windows open while doing this stuff - fumes can get pretty nasty inside if you don't.

Oh, the exact same comments apply to the xA and xB, too. :D

Tomas
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member

Great info, thank you!
Old 11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I've been using my home-made filters for the tC since this spring.
They get amazingly dirty - about 10x dirtier than the engine air filter!

Once you start using them, you'll never not use them again.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing today. I know this is especially true out here in SoCal where the smog, pollution, brake dust and soot is much higher than other places in the country. Do the filter... your lungs will thank you.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by DieselTC
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing today. I know this is especially true out here in SoCal where the smog, pollution, brake dust and soot is much higher than other places in the country. Do the filter... your lungs will thank you.
My allergies have been MUCH better too.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

i need to try this!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm on my third filter...previous 2 got very dirty....i can't believe that if I didn't have the filter all that would've flown into my car...scary indeed!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

i need to do this cause man i get alot of dust! I might have to throw in a nice scent on the filter
Old 11-30-2006, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just Do It!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last edited by Earlskey; 07-07-2020 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching....for later....

GREAT STUFF!!!

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter (Homemade)