Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

Washington dealerships required to mount front plate frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Default Washington dealerships required to mount front plate frame?

Traded up my '06 tC to a '12 here in Washington. I'm military and a Florida resident with a Florida vehicle tag. So I'm not required to display a front plate. A few days after I took delivery of my new vehicle I noticed the dealership had mounted a front plate frame which made me sad (unnecessary holes in my bumper). I took it off and found two circular marks in the paint where the dealership's logo plate was attached.

I spoke to someone in the service department about it. They said they would fix the screw marks, but that they were required by law to drill holes and mount the front plate frame so there was nothing they could do about that.

I would really like to have those holes filled, and I seriously doubt they are actually required to mount the frame. Do I have any recourse here?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know a few people (myself included on my 1st gen I had) insisted they not do it and they complied. Not sure if the law changed or what, but you may wanna see if there's a cap or vinyl over lay you can use. Or just return it if possible and go somewhere else to buy your car.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I cannot say for sure coming from the dealers perspective, but yes in the state of Washington it is required by law to have a license plate in the front.

It is a dumb law I agree. I have been pulled over for it multiple times for not having one or having it in the window rather than on my bumper, but my bumper doesn't have a mount and i don't want to screw into my bumper either.

however, people are fighting it 'cause there are a lot of luxury cars out there that don't' have plates and don't have location for plates so I think there is a fight for it, plus it would save the state money on not having to have plates on the front.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

sucks you already bought because i'd tell them a screw goes in and you're not buying (because doubt they'd wanting to put 2 holes in to blow a deal). that sucks though
Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My previous tC was brought in from another dealership and was lucky the holes weren't drilled in yet, I told them no plate install for the front before placing the order. My current tC, not so lucky, also was brought in from another dealership which always drills the holes in the bumper first chance they get. I stay in Texas which is a 2 plate state, not a fan of that, and it's the state troopers that will hassle about not having it mounted on the bumper. I ran a front plate for about a year, then took it off and had a state trooper pull me over 2 weeks later for ONLY that. The front plate went back on until recently I got a new bumper with no holes in it. Thinking if looking into a remote flip up plate kit.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was told by the dealership that I bought my xD from that they were required, and I do believe they said under law, to mount front plate frame. I said I didn't want the holes and they complied, but said they could get in trouble for not doing it.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate that they put holes in the bumpers. Does anybody know a fix without replacing the bumper?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some get plugs to put into the holes, others have the holes filled and bumper repainted.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah. Where and what type of plug. Plus how to color match it?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was posted on the forum colormatched bumper plugs for the tC1 if I recall, search it up.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
It was posted on the forum colormatched bumper plugs for the tC1 if I recall, search it up.
Alright cool. I will search it up.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the search function does not work on tap talk. Admin needs to resolve this issue.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Link to the vendor's thread here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ghlight=bumper
Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you. For some reason when I do the search function it comes up with that message. Thanks again
Old 03-14-2012, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Pretty much only way to get them not to drill bunper is to arrive with plate relocator mounts that would go through the grille and tell them you will install it.

You are required to run a frontplate in Washington and they will pull you over for it.....I figure I dont need more reasons for them to pull me over.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 AM

Thanks for this link. Just ordered some plugs.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Key Techniques plug holes are great for you guys that were violated! Check out their key hole covers too. Then buy my front plate mounts.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The key in this instance is that Washington state only requires front plates for cars registered in Washington, OR for which two plates are issued.

As military with home of record, and vehicle registration, being from Florida, there is absolutely no need for the dealership (or anyone else) to drill the front bumper. It is NOT required by law...

Up until some time in 2011 this was the law:

RCW 46.16.240 Attachment of plates to vehicles -- Violations enumerated.

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, That if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That in cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.
RCW 46.16.240 has been recently replaced by:

RCW 46.16A.200 License plates.

(5)(a) Display. License plates must be:

(i) Attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle if two license plates have been issued;

(ii) Attached to the rear of the vehicle if one license plate has been issued;

(iii) Kept clean and be able to be plainly seen and read at all times; and

(iv) Attached in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground.

(b) The Washington state patrol may grant exceptions to this subsection if the body construction of the vehicle makes compliance with this section impossible.

The dealership erred if they were informed your vehicle would be legally licensed in a single-plate state because of your military status. I'd try battering on them a bit to have THEM foot the cost of fixing the unnecessary damage they caused to your front bumper...

RCW 46.16A.160 Nonresident exemption — Reciprocity — Rules.

(1) The provisions of this chapter relating to the registration of vehicles and display of license plates and registration certificates do not apply to vehicles owned by nonresidents of this state if:

(a) The owner has complied with the law requiring the registration of vehicles in the names of the owners in force in the state, foreign country, territory, or federal district of residence; and

(b) The license plate showing the initial or abbreviation of the name of the state, foreign country, territory, or federal district is displayed on the vehicle substantially as required in this state.
RCW 46.16A.340 Temporary permits for nonresident members of armed forces — Fee — Rules.

(1) A nonresident member of the armed forces of the United States may apply to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director for a temporary permit for a recently purchased motor vehicle. The permit:

(a) Allows the motor vehicle to be used in Washington state while the owner applies for out-of-state registration;

(b) Is valid for forty-five days; and

(c) Must be carried on the motor vehicle so that it is clearly visible from outside of the motor vehicle.

(3) The department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director shall collect the fee required under RCW 46.17.400(1)(d) when issuing the forty-five day permit described in this section.

(4) The department shall adopt rules to implement this section. Those rules may require proof that the nonresident member of the armed forces of the United States qualifies for the forty-five day permit before the permit may be issued.
Good luck!

Tom

Last edited by Tomas; 03-15-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:13 AM
SL Member

Transformis,

I am so sorry to hear that that happened. While it is a law here in Washington for vehicles that are registered to have front plates on them, if you generaly tell them in advance most of the time they will not put on the front plate. I have found it hard to keep it from happening, simply because it is part of the PDI process that most dealership put on the front plate frames, expecting to comply with Washington state law. I know that we have forgone front plate frames before, but only if requested when the order was placed and before the car arrived. If we had to dealer trade for the vehicle then there is generaly nothing that we can do, since it is policy that most dealerships do that with the PDI in this state. PDI stands for Pre Destination Inspection. I am sorry this happened, I wish you luck in your indeavors, and hope that you find resolution.