Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

VSC/Trac Off/Check Engine Light came on

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Woops... I don't think I was descriptive of the so called sensor, but for those who don't know, it's the mass air flow sensor that goes on the stock air box or your intake...
Old 12-08-2006, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by bBsactoguy
Honestly, I think this light comes on with those folks who have an intake. The sensor becomes dirty and you just need to clean it.

I had this problem back in summer time and I desperately searched the site for help.

Low n behold, all you need to buy is an electric contact cleaner. You can purchase it in your radio shack, FRy's, or tiger direct.. what ever is clever.

I sprayed the lil uvula looking object, and all that dirt came right off... good as new. Just to be safe I let it dry for like 10mins before putting it back into my intake...

Solved problem.. I think I made a thread of my journey of this hehe...
I'm sorry, but you are WAY off topic here.

The original poster quoted the exact diagnostic code(s) that the engine threw, and what you describe, while it will pull the same three lights, is TOTALLY unrelated.

A dirty MAF sensor will not cause your camshaft timing to be retarded.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wooofs :D this is what i get for not comming on the site as much LOL...
Old 01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any updates on this???

I just got all 3 lights last night coming off the highway I put the car into neutral (manual 06), the rpms dropped lower than idle but the car did not stall. Then all of a sudden all 3 lights came on.

Was gonna do the ecu reset but decided to take it to the dealership this morning.

$98 to check it (Canadian dollars)

Will post the codes that they give me later.

It would be nice if people who have gotten the dealership to check to post the codes up or even what was fixed too
Old 01-02-2007, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok just got the xB back.

Only code they got was: P0012

Something to do with the camshaft (so similar to someone who posted in here earlier)

I asked them, what if it happens again since everything they checked seemed to be fine? Advisor was like, well just bring it back....well duh?

Ah well, she drives great still so until it happens again....
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

that sounds like the vvti controller going bad to me, thats what they said earlier
Old 01-03-2007, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could be several things.. When you get a Check Engine light the ECU automatically(Always) disables the VSC and the Traction Control(Trac Off)... so no matter whats the problem, how small or how big if your CEL comes on you will automatically see the 2 other lights come on. atleast thats what my mechanic said

In my case it came on and it was a "Canister hose" that was loose.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive had the same lights turn on twice. Both times the dealer said it was the MAF sensor that had gone bad. Weird.

The scary thing is driving the car to the dealer as it sputters along under 3000rpm
Old 01-03-2007, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Match_Box
could be several things.. When you get a Check Engine light the ECU automatically(Always) disables the VSC and the Traction Control(Trac Off)... so no matter whats the problem, how small or how big if your CEL comes on you will automatically see the 2 other lights come on. atleast thats what my mechanic said

In my case it came on and it was a "Canister hose" that was loose.
the lights could be several things, but not once the code is pulled. the code is the final word.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member

I am a ASE Certified Technician and I brought my 06 xb with 35600 miles on it, 400 before its out of warrenty, brought it by one dealership and they cleared the lights and everything checked out fine and it came back on and I checked out the codes and it was P0012 Cam retard. I checked into the problem myself and talked to one of my friends who is a toyota/scion tech and he said this is a fairly common problem with all of the 1.5 VVTi engines. I hope scion plans to do something about it this so people that are out of warrenty get this fixed. From what I understand the timing gear drum needs to be replaced which means taking the gear off the cam. Alldata calls for 1.2 hours warrenty and 1.8 if it is out, so either way thats almost 200 dollars if you pay the regular 80-90 dollars an hour labor rate, PLUS the part which alldata lists for $150. I think someone should write a letter to scion about this.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah just take this advice, Just ignore the problem and it will go away. Does this kind of thing get people angry when you here a dealership tell you this, or is it just me?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great...now I'm just paranoid...lol. I only have 6100 miles on mine...hopefully won't happen.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM
n7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

this same thing just happened to me the day before yesterday. I'm going outside right now to take off my intake and then i'm taking it down to the dealership to get it checked out.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Happened again today while doing 60 on the highway. Only 1000 miles after the original diagnosis. Taking it back on Monday
Old 02-04-2007, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Nstygrnhatch
I am a ASE Certified Technician and I brought my 06 xb with 35600 miles on it, 400 before its out of warrenty, brought it by one dealership and they cleared the lights and everything checked out fine and it came back on and I checked out the codes and it was P0012 Cam retard. I checked into the problem myself and talked to one of my friends who is a toyota/scion tech and he said this is a fairly common problem with all of the 1.5 VVTi engines. I hope scion plans to do something about it this so people that are out of warrenty get this fixed. From what I understand the timing gear drum needs to be replaced which means taking the gear off the cam. Alldata calls for 1.2 hours warrenty and 1.8 if it is out, so either way thats almost 200 dollars if you pay the regular 80-90 dollars an hour labor rate, PLUS the part which alldata lists for $150. I think someone should write a letter to scion about this.

agreed.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160105
Old 02-04-2007, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by n7
this same thing just happened to me the day before yesterday. I'm going outside right now to take off my intake and then i'm taking it down to the dealership to get it checked out.
This just happened here as well. I only have just over 5k miles.
I did just put an intake on. I had the battery and MAF sensor disconnected and I had reconnected the battery b-4 reconnecting the MAF, so I thought that something there might have caused it. So I just reset the lights by disconnecting the battery for about thirty minutes or so.
Any way I’m curious as to why you would take the intake off b-4 going to the dealer.
Will they blame it on that and not do the warranty work? My intake has a CARB EO #. Figured that set me in the clear. Should I be removing mine as well b-4 oil changes at the dealer, or reporting any problems to them?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hmmm. a lot of people having problems. i've never had it and i drive my car decently hard. i'm at 55k or so and nothing yet. so out of regular warranty into my crappy extended warranty. this won't be a happy fix if i need to do it out of warranty.

money wise or elbow grease wise if i do it myself.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by j-rod
Originally Posted by n7
This just happened here as well. I only have just over 5k miles.
I did just put an intake on. I had the battery and MAF sensor disconnected and I had reconnected the battery b-4 reconnecting the MAF, so I thought that something there might have caused it. So I just reset the lights by disconnecting the battery for about thirty minutes or so.
Any way I’m curious as to why you would take the intake off b-4 going to the dealer.
Will they blame it on that and not do the warranty work? My intake has a CARB EO #. Figured that set me in the clear. Should I be removing mine as well b-4 oil changes at the dealer, or reporting any problems to them?
disconnecting the maf can sometimes set off the vsc , trac and whatever lights but that after being reset will not come back on and is TOTALLY different than the vvti codes being thrown.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Thanks darren, you're totally right.

for anyone who has had code p0012 throw - please sign this petition:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160105

Old 02-06-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I just had a Amp/Sub install done at circuit city, and as I they pull it out of the bay, the car stalled, with the VSC/Trac Off/Check Engine light on. The car idles very sparatically, and it starts to stall when you accelerate too hard. Any ideas what could have caused this. I am stuck at Circuit City right now. Any quick help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: VSC/Trac Off/Check Engine Light came on