Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Drifting your xB?

Old 10-08-2004, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Drifting your xB?

Has anyone tried it? Is it even possible? If so what technique did you use to do it, and how was it?

I have an automatic and I want to try it but I don't know if its possible in an xB or not

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-23-2021 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 10-08-2004, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dude, Drifting is for 4WD and RWD cars. Drifting in a FWD car is just called losing control of your car and being stupid.

Also the xB is about as aerodynamic as a bus and is top heavy, so going sideways is not what is capable of doing.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-23-2021 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 10-08-2004, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NO DORIFTO FRO JU!!!!

Old 10-08-2004, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

I'm 4 M4D TyTe JdM DrIfTeR YO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Never going to happen. Stupid to attempt. Have a nice day.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think if you want to attempt anything that remotely resembles a drift with a FWD, use your handbrake. However, just to let you know, this is not really drifting because you really have no control of it, hence "sliding out of control".
Old 10-08-2004, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can get a FWD vehicle into a Four Wheel Drift with proper suspension and driving technique. Granted it isn't as spectacular as a 500hp 240 drifting, but it still can be done without pulling the e-brake or putting plywood under the rear tires.

My old Focus which I setup for Auto-X was easily put into four wheel drifts on some of the higher speed tracks. No handbrake was used...you just have to know how to effectively transfer the weight of the car through a turn.
Also, having a huge rear sway bar did help place the rear end just where I needed it.

That was the only FWD car I was completely comfortable pushing over the limits. I'd never try it with the top heavy and under powered xB. The xB is anything but a race car and really shouldn't be driven as such.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-23-2021 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 10-08-2004, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Alan
You can get a FWD vehicle into a four wheel drift with proper suspension and driving technique. Granted it isn't as spectacular as a 500hp 240 drifting, but it still can be done without pulling the ebrake or putting plywood under the rear tires.

My old Focus which I setup for auto-x was easily put into four wheel drifts on some of the higher speed tracks. No handbrake was used...you just have to know how to effectively transfer the weight of the car through a turn. Also, having a huge rear sway bar did help place the rearend just where I needed it.

That was the only FWD car I was completely comfortable pushing over the limits. I'd never try it with the topheavy and underpowered xB. The xB is anything but a race car and really shouldn't be driven as such.
A properly set up xB will own a Focus on the Auto-X...
Old 10-08-2004, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I have kinda drifed this morning . On my way to school, I turned a 100 degree corner, at about 35 with the pavement wet because it was raining. I lost all traction and was able to swing my car to the right and kinda tailfished. But I was alittle worried.

xB= No drifting :D
-nt
Old 10-08-2004, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

lol...Well, I had my fair-share of "___-DRAGGING" the box at a local school parking lot one night. They have like 4 light poles and its about 4 acres..

Anyways, the sprinklers for the plants on the outskirts were running and all the water was running down into the center, so you had wet pavement on the outsides and drier towards the inside

I decided to head out one night with a buddy and a camera, and got SKIRVY with the E-brake..

It was only fun and games

Took a few pictures, and ended up missing a pole (IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE) by about a foot... I was trying to get a full sideways drift going around this one side of the pole, and I did, but I caught a little patch of Dry pavement and the car just kep going sideways, the tires caught and pulled me into the pole.. :oops:

The whole night was awesome, lasted for about 2hours... I think one of my buddies has it on video

All in all, I STRONGLY urge you to not try that... unless you are a good driver, and know how to correct yourself incase of a messup.....AND if you've drifted before in something other than a FWD car...

I have to side with you too about the xB owning a Focus... on AX that is..

I mean it would come down to it, if they were both equally given struts, dampners, swaybars, frame braces, brakes, and tires...

The xB handles good stock, don't get me wrong... but I will tell you which would own STOCK ... :twisted: .... as long as the Focus isn't a damn SVT or an RS or anything...lol

Late..

And don't forget, DRIVE SIDEWAYS (not fwd though)

Old 10-08-2004, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdaniels

A properly set up xB will own a Focus on the Auto-X...
HAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAH

HAHAHHAHAHAHHHHA

HHAHAHAHHAHA

HAHA

HA

Uhhhh...wtf are you smoking? The xB doesn't even have a true independent rear suspension like the Focus or Mazda 3. The top heavy design of the xB also makes it an inherently bad handling vehicle. Remember cars with a higher center of gravity always have a disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong, I love my xB...but the car's handling prowess doesn't hold a candle to the Focus. I'd be more than happy to rent a Focus and meet any of you out at the track. I guarantee you'll change your mind.

Just so you know, the SVT's suspension is/was nothing special. It had higher rate dampers, slightly revised spring rates, and a slightly larger sway bar. You put coilovers and an Eibach rear sway bar on a SVT and a ZX3, both will handle equally.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

First, put the xB in REVERSE.....
Old 10-08-2004, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

No Drifting..

If you want you xB to Drift...Park it on a Island or some sort of ice mass that is drifting away from the land.
Then your xB will Drift, only in a different way..Make sure to soup up your insurance to recover from losses. :D

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-23-2021 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 10-08-2004, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Alan

HAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAH

HAHAHHAHAHAHHHHA

HHAHAHAHHAHA

HAHA

HA

Uhhhh...wtf are you smoking? The xB doesn't even have a true independent rear suspension like the Focus or Mazda 3. The top heavy design of the xB also makes it an inherently bad handling vehicle. Remember cars with a higher center of gravity always have a disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong, I love my xB...but the car's handling prowess doesn't hold a candle to the Focus. I'd be more than happy to rent a Focus and meet any of you out at the track. I guarantee you'll change your mind.

Just so you know, the SVT's suspension is/was nothing special. It had higher rate dampers, slightly revised spring rates, and a slightly larger sway bar. You put coilovers and an Eibach rear sway bar on a SVT and a ZX3, both will handle equally.
Base Focus vs xA??? Hehehehe. . . how curious I am.
I really like the setup on The Foci. . . independent suspension, WIDE OEM tires/wheels. The newest year has an updated engine. I had a chance to run a 2002 Focus, which I beat in a straight line. Dunno which engine he has tho. If it didn't have Ford resale, and the weird interior (yes I actually think it's weirder than the xA, I don't dig the slanted center panel), and if there weren't 5 million of em on the road, I'd be very tempted to buy one. One of the best low end domestic cars I've seen yet. But a manual xB with a nice spring setup would be able to put up a good fight, and with a good driver, you never know. . . auto? But then again, if you mod a Focus. . . they have that euro version with the V8. . . the lambo killer that was featured in Motortrend/RoadandTrack/CarandDriver? Forgot which mag. . .
Old 10-08-2004, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Dude,

If you want to get sideways in your Box, wait till Winter and find Ice and I don't mean the Audio kind, really
though I would just keep the shiny side up and go to a Drift event and watch RWD cars kicking some butt.

bondobob

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-23-2021 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 10-08-2004, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by MattRattyPoo
Dude drifting is for 4WD and RWD cars. Drifting in a FWD car is just called losing control of your car and being stupid. Also the Xb is about as aero dynamic as a bus and is top heavy, so going sidways is not what is capable of doing.
What exactly does aerodynamics have to do with drifting?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gotta take good care of our babies.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Base Focus vs xA??? Hehehehe. . . how curious I am.
I really like the setup on The Foci. . . independent suspension, WIDE OEM tires/wheels. The newest year has an updated engine. I had a chance to run a 2002 Focus, which I beat in a straight line. Dunno which engine he has tho. If it didn't have Ford resale, and the weird interior (yes I actually think it's weirder than the xA, I don't dig the slanted center panel), and if there weren't 5 million of em on the road, I'd be very tempted to buy one. One of the best low end domestic cars I've seen yet. But a manual xB with a nice spring setup would be able to put up a good fight, and with a good driver, you never know. . . auto? But then again, if you mod a Focus. . . they have that euro version with the V8. . . the lambo killer that was featured in Motortrend/RoadandTrack/CarandDriver? Forgot which mag. . .
I have no intention of flaming you or your car, but I'm 99% sure that guy didn't know how to drive his '02 Focus.

That '02 Focus had either the 130hp 2.0l Zetec or the 149hp 2.3l Duratec/PZEV. The xA/xB has a 109hp motor. Both cars are around the same weight, give or take a few lbs. The stock Focus is most definately faster than an xA/xB due to the power/weight advantage. But the Scion does have a bit more aggressive gearing, so it may take an automatic Zetec Focus off the line. ;)

Again, I'm not bashing the Scion. I just know its place and what its capabilites are/aren't. Directly comparing the xB to the Focus...the Focus comes out on top. Focus has superior suspension design/geometry, better center of gravity, and more power. These three facts alone make the Focus a superior cornering vehicle compared to the xB.

Now I know the xA supposedly has a different rear suspension setup than the xB (am I correct...I thought I read somewhere it actually had an independent rear suspension setup). It also has a slightly lower center of gravity compared to the xB. I'd say the xA has more of a chance against a ZX3.

On a side note, I'll have my Tein s-techs in next week. I'm eager to see/feel the difference. Hopefully that minivan-like feel will be reduced/eliminated. ;)
Old 10-08-2004, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

I did tray slides in my xB the other night get the 20 ounce bottle tray and your local gas station
roll on them with your back tires and lock the e-brake, turn the Trac Control off and have fun!!!

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-23-2021 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 10-08-2004, 09:23 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I don't know about the Focus deal but, my girlfriend has one and to tell you the truth I like the xA overall. I've taken a 25 miles limit highway exits at 50 in her Focus and it feels like is goint to spin or flip. I've done it with the xA at 65 and it only has a bit of understeer. You compare, 50 to 65.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drifting your xB?