Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

xB1 Rear Wheel Bearings..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

I kinda understand, But at the same time For being a Toyota, This a very dissapointing problem. Granted I race in a car that was meant for daily driving, and not any sort or racing, Wheel bearings don't normally give out that easily as in your case, and even mine. I wonder if this is an engineering flaw, or Toyota being lazy. I hope its not the latter because that would be disapointing.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i have been noticing a louder then usual 'humming' noise while driving since i put my stock wheels back on.

sort of gets a little louder when i turn to the right. dont hear it as much when i turn to the left. so without taking the wheels off to check, im assuming i will be replacing mine soon.

went thru 5 sets when i had my focus. at least this will be my first with the xb.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take off the wheel and drum and give the hub a turn by hand. The bad one will be pretty apparent by the roughness. It's pretty hard to tell left from right by ear because of the swingarm rear suspension.

For those who would like the less expensive replacement, the Timken part number for this hub is HA594245. The hub I received was made by Koyo, Japan and seems to be a good quality replacement. Considering that several people had their originals go out in the 50-60K mile range the OEM bearings aren't all that good, so its likely that the aftermarket hub is better than the OEM part.

I've become wary of Timken, since some of the other bearings that they are shipping are Chinese in origin and tend to fail. Their xB hub seems to be OK, though.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeh i had it checked out today and my driver side rear bearing is the culprit.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BangorXB
yeh i had it checked out today and my driver side rear bearing is the culprit.
Once you have the part in hand it is a very quick and easy fix. You literally can change the hub out in less time than it would take a service writer to write up the service order. The procedure is written up earlier in this thread.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeh i saw that and i ordered the part this morning. thanks again for the part number. i should have it by the weekend and im gonna fix it saturday morning.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 PM

Default xa rear hub and wheel bearing assembly

Count me in as yet another person with a hub issue at 51k, rear right wheel bearing.

My estimate was

WHEEL HUB: $343.10
WHEEL SENSOR: $ 141.52
MD STATE TAX (6%): $29.08

Does that seem right?? I was told that you may need to break the sensor and reinstall it in order put in the hub assembly.

Advice or thoughts??? Would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xa rear hub and wheel bearing assembly

Originally Posted by yims
Count me in as yet another person with a hub issue at 51k, rear right wheel bearing.

My estimate was

WHEEL HUB: $343.10
WHEEL SENSOR: $ 141.52
MD STATE TAX (6%): $29.08

Does that seem right?? I was told that you may need to break the sensor and reinstall it in order put in the hub assembly.
No, you get a brand new sensor as part of the hub assembly. You don't need to buy one separately.

Buy the Timken hub (HA594245) from an internet seller and have it delivered. The install is very easy, procedure earlier in this thread. You'll probably spend about two bills.

Don't buy a hub from the dealer. The parts have already proven to be suspect and those prices are outrageous.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

now that i read this thread i will deffinetly be hearing the humming noise on the way home lol but for real tho i need to check mine im at that mile range right now
Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 AM

My bearings are going out at 95k (passenger side for sure). I guess I am lucky since I have been hauling around drums in my XB for 5 1/2 years now! I printed the instructions and play to DIY. Thanks so much for posting! I will reply once I am finished.

P.S. I found the parts on ebay (buy it now for $100.17 and supposedly TIMKEN) - checking with the seller and if they are I am purchasing.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bad news: A chinese manufacturer is now advertising this bearing under the Toyota part number:

http://union.autosourcing.cn/showroo...l-Hub-Bearings
Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang..I can't believe it went bad so soon. I have over 146k miles on my car and they're still fine.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:54 AM

s@#t after reading this post i think i might have a bad bearing i recently sound proof my box but before that there was some werid noise coming from the rear of the car and some vibration i thought it was because the tires were geting bad so i bought brad new tires and it still does it plus the the old tire that came off the rear right were the noise is i notice had some crazy wear patterns, does anybody think its because of the rear bearings failing?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skatearizona
s@#t after reading this post i think i might have a bad bearing i recently sound proof my box but before that there was some werid noise coming from the rear of the car and some vibration i thought it was because the tires were geting bad so i bought brad new tires and it still does it plus the the old tire that came off the rear right were the noise is i notice had some crazy wear patterns, does anybody think its because of the rear bearings failing?
It's possible, but not all that likely unless the bearing is really trashed. If that were the case I'd be worried about the hub coming apart.

Bad rear hubs sound like an aggressive off-road tire, a continuous hum that rises and falls with speed only. If you pull the rear wheel and drum and then spin the hub it will feel noticably rough compared with the opposite hub.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

well just got the news my right rear bad at 53K, figured it was the tires but no, local shop wanted $600 to change it, for what 20 minutes of work and a $400 hub assembly, that quite alright ill do this myself.
thanks for the info for the online one will be ordering tonight.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, add a tC owner to this list. I had not one, but two wheel bearings go bad. how? I don't know. no collisions, no nothing. The right rear was replaced because it's the worst, and i still need to pay my uncle back the 400 it cost to get that fixed

btw, i have under 50,000 miles. This is horrible.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brave_lil_toaster
well just got the news my right rear bad at 53K, figured it was the tires but no, local shop wanted $600 to change it, for what 20 minutes of work and a $400 hub assembly, that quite alright ill do this myself.
thanks for the info for the online one will be ordering tonight.
Good call. It really is a snap to change and the cost of the Timken (Koyo) bearing is under two bills. Don't go OEM on this one, since OEM seems to be prone to failure.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine was replaced with a NAPA part with a lifetime warranty...
Old 04-23-2009, 02:42 AM
Banned

well just changed out the right rear hub assembly, wow makes driving a pleasure again.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shupes31
mine was replaced with a NAPA part with a lifetime warranty...
How much did NAPA want for the part?

Quick Reply: xB1 Rear Wheel Bearings..