Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

burning oil? or am I paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by TotalChaos
True and I agree about considering getting rid of it. I am thinking the same thing. I mean, I know I need to check my oil but consumption should be minimal on an engine with less than 22K on it and no sign of leaks. Oh well, a couple more oil changes and if it persists, its gone!

Agreed and Agreed. I have never owned a car that would suck oil between each oil change....maybe a .5 quart or something but not until its bone dry. I feel like its a manufacturer defect.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i step on it a lot, so i change the oil every 3k miles, it consumes about 1-1.5qt between changes. i find 5k miles to be to much...... even if you dont step on it.

also i found out that out of all the oil brands that i used (pennzoil, mobil 1, toyotaoem, castrol, quakerstate) mobil 1 was the one that burned less oil.......
Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Funny you should say that mobil1 burns less because that is what I have been using.

Btw can anyone confirm if a pcv valve that is stuck open has symptoms? Like if the car would run poorly?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

sotty it took me so long to get back to you. all the pcv valve does us vent posotive crank case preassure. you wouldn't notice anything afaik. i'm getting large blow by on a stock car atm. i thought my old turbo blew my rings but a leak down test and it wasnt the rings paul with dezod suggested the pcv valve to me i just havent looked in to it yet.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No worries man. I am pretty just saying f it..going to a local subie dealer on friday to have a look. I just read mixed things about a bad pcv. Couldn't dig up much.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Superman05
My car just went in to the dealership for a new motor because of rod knock.....car had zero oil in it!!!! This seems to be a huge concern with this vehicle. Should we start a petition or something? My warranty is up in a few months so if my car has this mysterious oil burning problem again I will be screwed. I am gonna be honest that I have lost confidence in the motor of this car and my car only has 27K on it.

Seriously?!?!?! this tread is very interesting! was never aware of this...

so the "burning of oil" is due to steping on it and beating it like a red headed step kid...or is the TC engine an Oil Guzla by design
Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I highly doubt that was the case with my car..I hardly ever drove it hard. I never heard of oil consumption with this car being an issue either so I doubt a petition would be of any use.

I have seen very few people complain of oil consumption and feel these are isolated incidents of sorts..idk..doesn't matter to me since I don't have the tC anymore anyways lol just trying to make a point and say what I gotta say
Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Newer cars, especially NA motors, should be burning nearly no oil. The exception would be turbo cars, as there is the chance for blow-by. This should be fairly minimal though. I know a lot of stock turboed subarus have notable blow-by.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Have you recently started commuting a longer distance or putting more miles on the car in a shorter period of time?

I have an '05 with 72K on it. Up until the 65k service, the car burned little to no oil, but I only put 2.5k to 3K on the car every 6 months.

6 months ago I was assigned to a job out of town and now make an 85 mile R/T commute daily. The car now burns +/- 1/2 Quart every 3K.

I chalked up the increased oil consumption to the increase in miles driven and that fact I'm doing a lot more freeway driving where I periodically exceed posted speed limits for extended periods of time.

Something to consider.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What weight oil are you using? If your below a 5w30, going to like a 10w30 will prob help lower oil consumption. Not to say its fixing the prob, just will help alleviate it. More than likely its burning it past the rings, prob under acceleration. If its subtle enough, you prob wont notice smoke, however you can typically smell it, but youd need to be behind the car to smell it while accelerating. Ive seen this on a couple tc's but nothing this dramatic. Only way to fix it would be to rebuild the motor or swap it out.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vlad1024
Check to see if there is a leak by the pulley. Lack of torsional dampening of the crank could have bit you.
Not sure if you checked this already, but I had a lightweight pulley and this happened to me. The pulley cracked and took the front main seal with it.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im bringing this back from the dead as my 07 tC (5spd) is burning/losing oil like crazy. I changed to mobil 1 at 105,000 miles and haven't even reached 5k miles since last oil change. This morning while driving on the freeway i braked and noticed my oil pressure light blink a couple times. I got out and checked my oil level to find it lower then the lowest mark. Any new info on this guys? I have read tC's burn oil but not like this. It doesn't smoke in the morning or while running at proper temperature. No oil leaks are present as well. What the hell is the point of using expensive mobil 1 oil if its all being burned up?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People see their oil light on and dont shut the car off immediately? No wonder you all spin bearings.

Piston rings and valve seals are wear items.

You can change your oil whenever you want you dont have to wait until 5k miles. An oil change is $20.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trd07tc
People see their oil light on and dont shut the car off immediately? No wonder you all spin bearings.

Piston rings and valve seals are wear items.

You can change your oil whenever you want you dont have to wait until 5k miles. An oil change is $20.
anyone else experiencing something similar?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You shouldnt be burning that much oil that quickly is the point
Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

My 07 manual is doing the same thing, posted something similar a couple of weeks ago, but didn't get as much feed back as this one, glad this one is. I hope someone finds out something.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by My07Tc
My 07 manual is doing the same thing, posted something similar a couple of weeks ago, but didn't get as much feed back as this one, glad this one is. I hope someone finds out something.
Yeah my friend works at a lexus dealer and said he couldn't find any tsbs
Old 06-06-2011, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 05 with 98k on it.

I burn a lot of oil as well. I checked it at 3000 miles after my oil change and it was well below the low line.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:31 PM
SL Member

Over time parts begin to wear down and motors start to tend to burn oil. Although it is right that a car with low miles should not burn much oil at all. As many people that have posted in this tread about mysterious oil loss, I would say it's leaning to a factory defect.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Scion
Over time parts begin to wear down and motors start to tend to burn oil. Although it is right that a car with low miles should not burn much oil at all. As many people that have posted in this tread about mysterious oil loss, I would say it's leaning to a factory defect.
no joke, i agree with you on the defect part. But think about how mass produced this engine is. This engine is used in so many of yota's cars like the xb, Camry,Rav4,and tC. Do you think they all will eventually consume oil? It just doesn't make sense. My car runs fine, gets great gas mileage (currently 370 and the light hasn't come on) but burns oil like crazy! I wont buy a toyota ever again after this, simply because its just an uneasy feeling of knowing your car burns that much oil. I use to be a honda guy but after working at a lexus dealership for 6 years they grew on me, but oh well i guess its time to buy a hyundai LOL

Quick Reply: burning oil? or am I paranoid?