Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Saikou Michi Oil Catch Cans Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Saikou Michi Oil Catch Cans Review

Hey guys, I just wanted to post a bit of feed back on my Saikou Michi Oil Catch Cans now that I've been running them for a bit.

I am running the Stage 1 DC3 which is a 2 can assembly. I have one can interrupting the crank case vent line (between the valve cover and intake pipe), and the other one on the PCV line (between the valve cover and manifold).

I chose the SM dual cans over others (such as the Greddy can) because I liked that they came welded together for easier mounting and because no other can has such an advanced baffle for not only catching oil in liquid form, but also trapping oil vapors:

I installed these cans at about 30,000 miles. I mounted the assembly below battery using zip ties. I would have liked to drill for a more professional mounting job, but I didnt have access to my drill, and the two zip ties have held up find and hold the assembly very well, not allowing them to move much at all.

I wish I had better pics of the mounting job but its hard to get them since they're buried pretty well. At least in this picture you can somewhat see how my lines are run

Name:  39a06c29.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  198.3 KB

the PCV/intake manifold lines run along the firewall and then along the frame where the driver's side upper engine mount is, and then down under the battery.

you can see the crankcase vent lines pretty well, the intake side is the big swooping line (not crazy about the look but the only way not to kink it :-/ ).

So anyway I am now at about 33,000 miles and I decided to empty my cans today to see what I caught. Didn't expect too much since they haven't been on that long but I've been curious and I was under the car already so I figured why not lol

To my disappointment when I opened the drain on the can on the crank case vent line, not a single drop came out. Perhaps after more than just 3000 miles enough will accumulate to show, and I do plan on updating once I have more long term information.

In the other can however, I did collect quite a bit.

drain valve open:

Name:  f18108a8.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  93.8 KB

and here is how much I caught:

Name:  eb9ea1b4.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  108.9 KB

Doesn't seem like much but it really is when you consider it's only been 3000 miles and how long the line is from the valve cover to the can under the battery.

Overall I am very happy with this product and strongly recommend it. Even though I didnt appear catch anything off the crank case vent line, I'm still happy its there just so I am guaranteed that I don't have oil droplets dirtying up my inter cooler and the fins of my turbo.

Expect updates when I have more miles on, and thanks for reading!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well this thread got a few views and no replies but I'm gonna go ahead and update it anyway lol. I emptied the cans again today. I have 38400 miles on the odometer, so its been 5400 miles since I last opened the cans.

I once again did not collect any oil in the can on the breather hose, the line between the valve cover vent and the intake.

Here is a picture showing how much oil I collected in the can on the PCV line:

Name:  0f4766ac.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  273.7 KB

seems like a fair amount, but I can probably get away with longer intervals between opening the can. I am also disappointed that I still havent caught anything in the can on the crank case vent line.

Also the hose that runs from the intake pipe to the catch can was appearing to be more and more kinked as time passed. I didnt want it actually cutting off airflow so today while I was emptying the cans I swapped out the hose for one with a stainless steel braided housing:

Name:  e5ae4610.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  343.3 KB

The stainless steel braiding prevents the hose from kinking under that harsh bend. I'm not sure I'm crazy about how it looks though so in the future I might cap off the port on the intake and put a mini filter on the catch can.

Anyways, I am still really happy with my purchase. Having one of these cans on the PCV line is an absolute must! Having a second one on the breather line however seems like its just overkill if not completely pointless... but overkill has never stopped me so if it keeps even one drop out my intercooler, I guess I'm happy lol.