Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

How to fit manual transmission turbo kit into automatic transmission engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 AM

Default How to fit manual transmission turbo kit into automatic transmission engine?

Hi all! Im new here, and also iam a noob when it comes to Forced Induction. So Im looking around to turbocharge my 05 Scion tC, but I tend not to spend a whole lot of money. So I try to get a used kit, but unfortunately, most of them are for Manual Transmission but my car is an auto. I know Ptuning and Dezod make some good auto trans turbo kits, but im not looking to spend over $4000 for a turbo kit. And there is a lot of sellers who offer their used kits for a really low price, and that leaves me more money to get it tuned and maintainance in the long run. So my question is: Can a manual turbo kit fit automatic engine, specifically, Dezod S1, Ptuning SS, Turbonetics or Desecendant kits. If yes, what need to be changed or replaced to get the most out of it? It seems to me auto and manual turbo kits look just exactly the same, like turbo setup, intercooler, dumpwaste or oil lines. Please give me a detailed explaination of how to do that! Many thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My turbo kit was from a manual and the only thing I had to do was move a useless bracket that's on the top of the tranny because it was preventing the inlet pipe to the turbo from being able to fit properly on the coupler.

Something else you want to keep in mind is that if you get a kit with a FIC, it must be retuned if it came off a manual because the settings are totally different between MT & Auto. I would also suggest installing a tranny cooler.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Dim
SL Member

If your not trying to spend alot of money, I wouldn't buy the kit, even if it is used. I took the same route, but I ended up having to upgrade the clutch because it was slipping, get it tuned, now at the moment, it ended up being a bad tune from the shop and I'm not going back there, but now I'm going to do a rebuild.

Just my .02

If anything be prepared because anything can happen. I wasn't expecting all of that to happen.

New clutch, install on clutch, then the tune, now parts and labor for rebuild. It just keeps adding up.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member

First raise the front end of the car with a hydraulic jack or a scissor jack and place the two jack stands under the car. Raise the stands as high as possible and lock them in place while under the car and then slowly lower the car on top of the jack stands.

Now that the car is on the jack stands place the oil pan under the engine and drain the engine's motor oil. Once the oil has finished draining replace the oil drain plug.

After you have replaced the oil drain plug remove the front bumper of the car and then install the changer air cooler or the intercooler.

Next make room for the turbocharger by removing the exhaust header. The turbocharger manifold will replace the stock exhaust header and connect to the car's exhaust system. Attach the turbocharger to the turbo header before you install the turbo header. Once the turbo charger is attached to the header connect the turbo header to the engine's exhaust system.

After the turbo header is in place create a tap in the car's oil filter line and connect the tap to the turbocharger's oil feed line and connect the turbocharger's oil return line to the engine oil pan. If your car does not have an oil tap in the engine oil pan you may need one fabricated.

Once you finish with the oil lines connect the rubber hoses and metal pipes to the turbocharger's compressed air outlet and connect that set of pipes and hoses to one side of the intercooler.

Locate the engine's air intake and remove any filters and tubes attached to it. If your car has a carburetor you will need a turbo hat.

Take the other side of the intercooler and attach the remaining hoses and pipes and connect those set of pipes and connect them to the engine's air intake system.

After you have connected the turbocharger's compressed air outlet to the engine's air intake double check all the bolts and oil taps and make sure they are secure.

Fill the car up with new oil and take the car off of the jack stands. Your car is now ready to go.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 PM

Thank you very much y'all. I dont get this kind of support on other Scion site. I really appreciate it.

@BadDudetC3: I would definately get the FIC and tranny cooler. And thanks for the trick to fit the MT turbo in.

@Dim: im really sorry for your situation. But since I live in Maryland, and like 30 mins from Ptuning, I definately get it tuned by them.

@AudreyH: thanks for the detailed instructions. I copied n pasted to Document just in case I need it, lol. I really appreciate your time writing this, dude!

Ok, so im kinda slow. So I can fit an MT turbo kit in my AT engine, but I need to get AT FIC, and tranny cooler. Am I right?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iamtC1
Thank you very much y'all. I dont get this kind of support on other Scion site. I really appreciate it.

@BadDudetC3: I would definately get the FIC and tranny cooler. And thanks for the trick to fit the MT turbo in.

@Dim: im really sorry for your situation. But since I live in Maryland, and like 30 mins from Ptuning, I definately get it tuned by them.

@AudreyH: thanks for the detailed instructions. I copied n pasted to Document just in case I need it, lol. I really appreciate your time writing this, dude!

Ok, so im kinda slow. So I can fit an MT turbo kit in my AT engine, but I need to get AT FIC, and tranny cooler. Am I right?
There's no such thing as an Auto FIC, I'm just saying the tune for a MT is completely different than an AT. Tranny cooler is universal and it will only work for a AT.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Lol! I know what you mean!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure you have the correct spring in your wastegate. Typically autos can only handle up to 5 psi due to the torque converter limits (I think). Last thing you want to do is hit 8 psi and the converter craps out.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can run 7-8 psi on an auto as long as you have a tranny cooler. Anything over that and you're asking for trouble.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:56 PM

I appreciate for all inputs, guys! So on a Dezod S1 kit or Pruning SS kit and im running 8psi, how much whp i can get out of it. Lets say i gets tuned by Ptuning! Like I said im a noob when it comes to this!