Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Oil Quality- Jiffy Lube

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I use regular oil in mine with no worries. I change it regularly and use Toyota filters. So do millions of other people with excellent results. Use the oil quality and weight recommended in the owners manual and change it at least as often as recommended in the maintainance schedule and you will be able to find something else to devote your worrying time to.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
I use regular oil in mine with no worries. I change it regularly and use Toyota filters. So do millions of other people with excellent results. Use the oil quality and weight recommended in the owners manual and change it at least as often as recommended in the maintainance schedule and you will be able to find something else to devote your worrying time to.
who says I worry Still oil is not oil....just because lots of people do something for years doesn't mean there is not a better....of course ignorance is bliss
Old 04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[/quote]
Now that is a foolish statement since there is tons of info stating your position is wrong..and none backing it up....I owned a GSX with a 20g and no way would I have trusted it to Dino oil [/quote]

If you change your oil when you are supposed to, there won't be any problems with your engine lubrication no matter what oil is in there. Yes, times are changing & the technology is better than before. But I belive all vehicle manuals (expect for some like new mercedes, Vetts, Viper since they need to be synthetic, but even then they just recommend the brand) just indicate which type of oil to put in, not what BRAND, also any the Dino regular oil is processed the same way as the Mobil 1 regular oil. They all need to meet certain standards.

But then again thats why americans are described as the Perfect Consumer
Old 04-06-2005, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Sciond
who says I worry Still oil is not oil....just because lots of people do something for years doesn't mean there is not a better....of course ignorance is bliss
If the cars engine outlasts the rest of the car what have you accomplished by supposedly making it last even longer? When it comes to Toyotas and their maintainance, ignorance does not factor into this equation, as this is what I do for a living and some have even suggested I do it well. I will swear to you on my life, if you follow the recommended maintainance schedule to the letter, oil related problems are the least of your worries (if you worry, that is!) Moral of this story: Don't fall prey to hype and million dollar advertizing campaigns designed to get your money without delivering any real tangible benifits other than percieved.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Motors today are NOT your old conventional motor...neither should your oil. Synthetics are the way to go.

My philosophy: Change your mind - Not your oil!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You sound like a commercial! Synthetics are fine and do work well but are not necessary in a Scion. I am not a fan of extended drain intervals for so many reasons. All said and done, it's cheaper to do it the conventional way.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BOXED N
...I use to put tranny oil in my motor to flush it prior to every other oil change in my GSX. Just add 1qt with the old oil, run it for a couple minutes & then change it. My oil always had that nice golden color.
I'm not so sure that this is something that I'd want to try. I'd just assume take it the have it power flushed every 20,000 miles or so. Scott, your thoughts?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Trans fluid is very high detergent oil and will clean well. A quart before an oil change won't hurt.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

You sound like a commercial! Synthetics are fine and do work well but are not necessary in a Scion. I am not a fan of extended drain intervals for so many reasons. All said and done, it's cheaper to do it the conventional way.
You may think I'm funny, but I've got the best protection for my investment in my xB (though, as you and I will BOTH agree, is a SMALL investment.) I didn't say synthetics WERE necessary in a Scion. Also, what are your reasons for NOT being a fan? And, is it cheaper? Show me.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default service contracts and home oil changes

Hi,

Just some extra 2 cents on this topic....

DO be aware if you have an extended warranty/service contract, at home oil changes are very hard to document to the satisfaction of the warranty company if your engine seizes up or throws a rod during your coverage period. You MUST have meticulous records with receipts and any other supporting evidence. Jiffy lube with their computerized database should be able to reprint your records in case you dont have copies of everything.

READ your extended warranty paperwork and verify what they will accept for supporting evidence.

DO I need an extended warranty ?? For the past several cars/vans I have owned I have never failed to cover my costs of the contracts as the vehicles approached the 100,000 mile mark; no matter the make of vehicle.

On the tranny fluid topic.... it used to be pretty common for muscle car owners to pour in a quart of tranny fluid before an oil change because it acts as a solvent for sludge and what not. BUT do not leave it in too long or it will turn into a gooey varnish like "paste" inside your engine.

Dave
Old 04-08-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by claybo1708
You may think I'm funny, but I've got the best protection for my investment in my xB (though, as you and I will BOTH agree, is a SMALL investment.) I didn't say synthetics WERE necessary in a Scion. Also, what are your reasons for NOT being a fan? And, is it cheaper? Show me.
It's definately cheaper if you don't buy it! In my experience, if you change your oil regularly and maintain your car, engine wear won't ever confront you. I haven't seen too many well maintained Toyotas with worn out engines or any other oil related wear. If you follow the recommended maintainance scedule, and use oil of the proper quality (the API and SAE take the time to rate these), engine wear is a non-issue. It's like hanging a picture on the wall. If a tack hammer will drive the little finishing nail well, would we be better served using a sledgehammer? Some would argue the point! I would say the sledgehammer costs more, is unnecessary and could cause other problems (like seal leakage in cars using synthetic oil), and some would just say it sure pounds nails faster! The extended drain intervals suggested by some cause some concern also. The oil may indeed be fine but what about the byproducts of combustion that find their way into it? Acids form and what removes these? If you go 15k without changing your oil, wouldn't it be easy to forget? Just doesn't add up to anything really worthwhile to me.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default follow up

Hi,

Generally speaking, synthetics DO a better job of lubricating and sticking to wear surfaces. That is essentially why you dont see jet aircraft runing anythign BUT synthetics, beyond the far superior flow rate temperatures ans the like.

Extended drain intervals is another issue that has been discussed for years. The main point I remember reading back in 1985 when I first was introduced to synthetics, was that you STILL need to change your filter every 3000 to 4000 miles and there by replacing roughly 1 qt of the oil (this was with older Chevy full size filters that held about 1 qt), so in effect you changed your oil over ther course of say 10,000 miles.

Beyond that, most Extended warranty companies will laff at you if you say you used a synthetic and didnt change your oil evey 3000 miles or so, but did 15,000 mile changes.

If you live in a warm climate like we do in Florida, cold temperature pourability is not an issue; which is where much engine damage can be done, when you crank an engine with almost goo for oil because of the ambient temperature.

The real question these days is WHY is synthetic still so pricey ?? I cant imagine the ingredients are that much more expensive than conventional oil.

I would use a synthetic more often if then prices were in line with conventional oils; and like was mentioned, if you change your oil regularly with almost anything that isnt total crap oil, you will liekly never have an engine issue caused by bad oil.

Also the seal leakage is old news stuff....the problem was that people were putting synthetics into high mileage engines where leaks had been plugged by the build up of goo/crap. The synthetics dissolved the goo, as they are known to do, and you are left with leaks. NOT at all caused by the synthetic, but because of their superior cleansing abilities and a previoulsy crapped up engine.

Dave
Old 04-08-2005, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah, the Oil Wars never end...

All oil is made to meet a SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) specification. None of the oil manufacturers is going to spend a cent making their oil better than the specification. They may spend millions trying to convince us that their oil is better, but it really isn't. Most cars are built to use oil of the SAE specification and they will have satisfactory life on this oil if it is changed at the specified intervals.

Now, that's not to say that the refiners can't do better, and they do with synthetic oil. When synthetic oil is made, the characteristics can be better controlled, albeit at increased cost. Don't expect miracles, though,

The purpose of oil is to maintain a liquid film between metal surfaces. As long as this film is maintained it makes little difference whether the oil is conventional or synthetic. The place where synthetic shines is that it maintains its ability to create the oil film over a wider range of temperatures and for a longer life span. If you live in a climate that is neither very hot or very cold and change your oil frequently you will have no problem with conventional oil. If your usage pushes one or more of these limits you might have better luck with synthetics.

For my Scion, I use synthetic and change oil and filter at 7500 mile intervals. Synthetic may be overkill, but I am assured that lubrication will still be good as the mileage gets near 7500. For my aircooled VWs, which don't have oil filters, I change oil every 2000 miles, so using synthetic would be throwing money away as I don't need long life.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Good point about the aircraft. Just so happens my last job was with Delta Airlines as an A&P in overhaul at the tech ops. center in Atlanta. Aircraft use synthetic oil because of the temperature extremes they encounter daily. Interestingly enough, in the RB211 engines of an L1011, we NEVER changed the oil. It was checked on trips and chip detectors inspected at B-checks, but never really changed. As for better lubrication; possibly but that goes back to the original question, If conventional oil is perfectly adequate, is more really better? If they were the same price, I would use either that was handy. As for the seal issue, seals are designed for one type of oil or another. We still have this problem nowadays, mostly with truck rear ends. They have actually changed over to synthetic and subsequently revised the seals used. New engines probably won't leak but as the engine seals age and lip tension lessens, leaks do happen. If you were to change synthetic oil at a semi-normal interval, I see no problem with it, but some companies claims are a little far-fetched. Modern conventional oils are so much better than they ever were, it comes down to how much do you want to spend?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by George
Ah, the Oil Wars never end...

All oil is made to meet a SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) specification. None of the oil manufacturers is going to spend a cent making their oil better than the specification. They may spend millions trying to convince us that their oil is better, but it really isn't. Most cars are built to use oil of the SAE specification and they will have satisfactory life on this oil if it is changed at the specified intervals.

Now, that's not to say that the refiners can't do better, and they do with synthetic oil. When synthetic oil is made, the characteristics can be better controlled, albeit at increased cost. Don't expect miracles, though,

The purpose of oil is to maintain a liquid film between metal surfaces. As long as this film is maintained it makes little difference whether the oil is conventional or synthetic. The place where synthetic shines is that it maintains its ability to create the oil film over a wider range of temperatures and for a longer life span. If you live in a climate that is neither very hot or very cold and change your oil frequently you will have no problem with conventional oil. If your usage pushes one or more of these limits you might have better luck with synthetics.

For my Scion, I use synthetic and change oil and filter at 7500 mile intervals. Synthetic may be overkill, but I am assured that lubrication will still be good as the mileage gets near 7500. For my aircooled VWs, which don't have oil filters, I change oil every 2000 miles, so using synthetic would be throwing money away as I don't need long life.
I agree with this too.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interestingly enough, in the RB211 engines of an L1011, we NEVER changed the oil.
Ah, the L-1011! I was a design engineer on that program in the early '80s!

Turbine engines don't have the same blow-by issues as piston engines, so the oil tends to stay cleaner. Since the maintainance of these engines is very regular it is logical to rely on the chip detectors and oil analysis to detect problems.

None of this applies to piston engines. The cost of oil analysis would be more than the cost of simply changing the oil, so we just change the oil.

George
Old 04-08-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yep, I remember when I started as a newb at Delta I didn't know ____e from shinola. After completing an L1011 overhaul I was asked if I wanted to go on a checkride with them. Hell yeah! I said. I was scared as a little girl after the basics were checked out and the pilot had some fun. Empty with 20k lbs. of fuel thos mothers HAUL! I never knew what they were capable of. Fond memories. Now as for the airframe, give me Boeing anyday!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I got a ride with the company flight test pilot on a brand-new Alia airlines Tristar. There weren't even any passenger seats in the plane so I rode in the jumpseat behind the flight crew. I spent most of the flight crawling around the cabin checking for floorboard interference as the fuselage flexed during maneuvers. Such fun!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Don't go to Jiffy Lube.

http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_i...naU6Yn0s_nZfSV
Old 05-26-2007, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I do not recommend Jiffy Lube at all to anyone. back when i had my firebird i used to go there all the time. that is until the time they only put in one quart of oil in my car. good thing i had a gut feeling to check the oil. what morons.

Quick Reply: Oil Quality- Jiffy Lube