Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Intakes

If you would like to have a product added, or if you see an error that needs to be fixed please post a reply in this topic with the information.

AEM/TRD Cold Air Induction System (AKA Dealer CAI)
Type: Cold Air Intake
Part Number: PTS26-52040
Colors: Polish, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue?
Application: Scion xA/xB
Number of Pipes: 2
Significant bends: 5-6
CARB EO Status: Approved 2004-2005 xA/xB
MSRP: $335
Street: $289
Manufacturer's Site: www.scion.com
Relevant Threads: Too many to list. Will do this later.

The "stock" dealer option intake. Designed by AEM. I believe the current TRD intake sold by the dealers is no different from the old design. This intake includes a bypass valve in the unlikely event your intake gets submerged. It comes with mounts that allows it to fit both the xA and the xB (the difference is the length of a bolt and a spacer).

IMHO, this intake is not well designed, with a number of known flaws noted below. The design was most likely compromised because it had to fit both cars, and had to meet whatever Toyota design restrictions they added on top of that. However, a good point is, since its a dealer option.. you're less likely to get hassled by the Toyota service departments if your car breaks down.

Overall, this intake is just way too pricey for the minor performance gains (they ARE there though). It may be a better option for xA than xB, since the xB has many more better choices and the xA has a smaller selection. Still though unless you dead-set on OEM parts/options, you should look elsewhere.

Note: This intake may have a rubbing issue if you have the factory fog lights installed as well. There is also a fix available, but generally try to position the filter as far away from the fog lights as possible.

Warning: The support mount for this intake has been said to break easily. Usually, just the clip breaks, causing the intake tubing to to rattle around the compartment. In my case, a piece of the pipe broke off, allowing unfiltered air in. Inspect this part right away if you hear any clattering from your engine bay area.

Pros:
OEM Dealer option
CARB EO for 2004/2005 scions
fills stock location
Toyota techs won't give you hassles
Cons:
OEM Dealer pricing
poor design
final 90 degree bend to throttle body looks restricting
many significant bends
filter needs to be positioned properly if fog lights are installed (rubbing issue)
fragile tubing
fragile support mount

AEM Cold Air Intake (AKA AEM L-pipe, AKA AEM Short Ram)
Type: Cold Air Intake
Part no.: 21-567
Colors: Polish, Red?, Blue?, Silver?
Application: xB ONLY
No. of pipes: 1
Significant Bends: 1
CARB EO Status: Pending?
MSRP: $305
Street: $193
Manufacturer's Site: www.aempower.com
Relevant Threads: TBA

Freed from the Toyota design restrictions, AEM came out with this much better version of the CAI for the xB only. Its simplistic design should yield much better results than dealer version mentioned above.

Since the intake is one piece, you can not fit a bypass valve on it without modification. The price is pretty high up there, but its not so bad if you want to stick to AEM. This intake was not the one which was dyno'ed in the shootout against the Injen SR.
You may be able to get by dealership techs with this one, since AEM makes the OEM intake as well. This model does not have a carb EO yet. Interestingly, AEM did apply for CARB EO for a model numbered 21-566 and it was approved for both the 2004 xB and xA! but no such intake ever came into production.

Controversy: EL-prototypes has claimed that AEM copied their intake design. However, it is doubtful that the veracity of that claim can ever be verified.

Pros:
Draws in air away from engine area
Breather Hose after MAF sensor
Same brand as dealer option
Cons:
Pricey
xB only, a big negative if you have an xA
CARB EO still "pending"
Unknown performance gains

Blitz Induction Cover
Type: Short Ram
Part no.: 26910
Colors: ---
Application: xA/xB
No. of pipes: n/a
Significant Bends: 3
CARB EO Status: ??
MSRP: $155
Street: $131
Product Link: http://www.blitz-na.com/Blitz_Intake_InCover.htm
Relevant Threads:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15998
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40939

The Blitz Induction cover essentially converts the stock air box into a Short Ram intake. It does this by replacing the entire lower assembly of the stock air box with just a flat panel filter. While this can be quite effective, The 100+ price tag on this product is hard to justify,
considering other short rams are only a few dollars more and will be drawing in cooler air... This may be an option if you want to keep the stock air box "look". However, in that case, you can simply DIY this with a Drop-in filter replacement and parts from your local hardware store for substantially less.
Pros:
Stock "look"
Cons:
Price too high
Can easily DIY for cheaper
Draws air near engine
CARB??

Blitz SUS Power Air Filter
Type: Short Ram Conversion/Filter Replacement
Part no.: 26059
Colors: n/a
Application: xA/xB
Significant Bends: 2
MSRP: $275
Street: $212
Product Link: http://www.blitz-na.com/Blitz_Intake_Sus.htm
Relevant Threads:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5041
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17321
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32889
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50156
A Metal filter that should never wears out. Don't know much about this one. I believe it mounts using stock components similar to what is seen here:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42331
From what I've read I don't like it much. But there are ppl who swear by it.
Pros:
High Air flow.
Metal filter will not wear out.
Cons:
Draws air near engine.
Insanely high price.
Poor filtration (see Apexi section).
Can DIY this with a cheaper (and arguably better) filter like K&N or Apexi.
CARB??
Chimmy Interest Level (0-5): 1

Product: GReddy Airinx
Part no.: 12511022
Colors: ---
Application: xB Only
Significant Bends: 0
MSRP: $138
Street: $99
Product Link: http://www.greddy.com/prod_airinx.htm
Relevant Threads:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42645
Don't know much about this product. Seems to be a generic short ram tube made to fit certain applications with the use of different adaptors. I don't quite see that as a pro or a con. But GReddy has a pretty good reputation in my book, so I can't imagine it being too bad.
Add to that it being the cheapest intake system so far (not counting the drop-in filters), and this could possibly be a good buy if you are on a budget. Not quite "bling" though, and the foam filter may be begging for replacement.
Update: After some unanswered emails and finally a call to GReddy, a disturbing drawback has developed. Apparently, GReddy stateside has no knowledge or support of this intake. Its an import from japan from a company called Gracer, which along with GReddy belong to a parent company called Trust-Power (www.trust-power.com). In Japan, this intake is not sold under the GReddy name. Now the naming thing itself isn't such a big issue, however, the fact that GReddy-US can not or will not provide information/support about this intake IS (I was basically told the equivalent of "its not our responsibility"). So be aware, if you get it, you are on your own with it (I have adjusted my interest level accordingly).
Pros:
Cheapest intake system
Simple design should provide good air flow
Cons:
No support available stateside.
No "bling" factor.. though you can now legitimately add the GReddy sticker
No one seems to have it... so no info on performance, filtration, fitment etc
xB ONLY. xAs are SOL.. again
Questionable quality filter (replacing the filter would not make this kit worth it)
Chimmy Interest Level (0-5): 2

Product: Injen IS2100 Intake (xB ONLY)
Part no.: IS2100
Colors: Polish, Black
Significant Bends: 0
CARB EO Status: Approved 2004 xA/xB
MSRP: ??
Street: $137
Manufacturer's Site: http://www.injen.com
Relevant Threads: This is the most talked about intake... too many to list.
Possibly THE intake to get for the xB. Proven dyno gains. Straight simple pipe design. Good name brand. It draws air from nearly the same place as all the CAIs. Also one of the cheapest intakes to get. A past drawback was MAF contamination due to the breather hose being placed before the MAF sensor in the air stream.
Injen has since corrected the problem by providing a filter for the breather hose. You can also install an oil catch can for more "bling" and the same effect (plus it fills up that empty intake area). The extra filter will need servicing at regular intervals... a minor annoyance for a great product.
Pros:
Very inexpensive
Simple design should provide good air flow
Reputable company
Plenty of good feedback
Proven dyno gains
The current standard by which others are judged
Cons:
xB ONLY. no love for the xA.
Extra servicing required
No CARB approval for '05 scions yet
Might get too loud with exhaust and headers installed
Chimmy Interest Level (0-5): 5

Product: Injen IS2105 Intake
Part no.: IS2105
Colors: Polish, Black
Application: xB/xA
Significant Bends: 3
Street: $195
Relevant Threads: I'll get to it later...
There is almost no reason to get this intake. If you own an xB... you should just get the IS2100 above. For an xA, if you are dead set on getting Injen, spend a few bucks more and get the CAI. If I'm not mistaken, all this part really is is the upper part of the Injen CAI
(so for 15 more bucks, you get all of the lower tubing as well). Compared to the xB Short Ram, IMO this product is a big let-down for xA owners. Side note: it doesn't have the breather hose filter, b/c it doesn't need it.
Pros:
Injen name
Easy access to Filter element for servicing.
Fills the stock air box compartment.
CARB approval.
Cons:
Expensive
Draws air near engine
Chimmy Interest Level (0-5): 0

Product: Injen RD2105 Intake
Type: Cold Air
Part no.: RD2105
Colors: ??
Application: xB/xA
No. of pipes: 2
Significant Bends: 6
Street: $210
Relevant Threads: I'll get to it later...
I like the design of this intake better than the AEM CAI (looping version). They seem nearly identical on the top half, the lower tubing path is different. Also I believe you can add an AEM bypass valve to this CAI if you are afraid of hydrolocking
or you can convert it to the same short ram as above. Overall, one of my top choices if I had an xA. Similar enough if the dealer techs aren't paying attention to the sticker... they just might think this the dealer option one.
Pros:
Injen name
Can be converted to short ram or bypass valve can be added.
CARB Approval
Cons:
Long perhaps unnecessary tubing
Many sharp bends
Pricey
Chimmy Interest Level (0-5): 4 (xA), 2 (xB)

www.crutchfield.com has better pics, and pics of the other colors.

Product: K&N Typhoon CAI (xB Version)
Part no.: 69-8605Tx (replace 'x' with color letter)
Colors: Polish, Red, Blue, Silver
Application: xB
Significant Bends: 1?
CARB EO Status: No (May be Pending)
Street: $165
Product Link: http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...Prod=69-8605TP
Relevant Threads: To be done...
Someone at Injen must be like "Hey... what the?", b/c of all the pics I've seen of this intake, it looks suspiciously similar to the Injen SR for the xB. Sure it has different supports, the MAF mount is at a slightly different angle.
But it seriously looks a lot like it. So theoretically, they should perform about the same, with the difference being the filter. And K&N does have a reputation for their filter quality (not necessarily intakes).
Also like the Injen SR, the breather hose is placed before the MAF (why??). To my knowledge, K&N does not include a breather hose filter to prevent MAF contamination (though speculation from the Injen camp says the filter is not really necessary, and you can also get an oil catch can if this truly concerns you).
However, K&N does have some things Injen does not. It has more colors for one thing, and since most these intakes should perform the same... having a color which matches your bay/car may be a plus. K&N also includes a sleeve that fits over their filter, called a "drycharger". The Drycharger is meant to extend
the life of the filter by repelling large dirt particles and water. However it does make me question how much it might restrict airflow.
I'd say between the two, its really a matter of "pick your preference". The Injen is currently cheaper, so I would more likely go with them, and ditto if you need CARB. But if you wanted to get a K&N filter for your intake anyway (or just a believer in the hype).. you can get this.
Pros:
K&N filter?!!
Included Drycharger for longer filter life
Reasonable price
More colors available
Cons:
More expensive than the Injen
No CARB EO yet
No filter for breather hose for possible MAF contamination
No trustworthy dyno numbers yet
Chimmy Interest Level (0-5): 4

Product: K&N Typhoon CAI (xA Version)
Part no.: 69-8606Tx (replace 'x' with color letter)
Colors: Polish, Blue
Application: xA
Significant Bends: 2?
CARB EO Status: No (May be Pending)
Street: $165
Product Link: http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...Prod=69-8606TP
Whoa, could this be THE intake that the xA has been waiting for? A relatively straight tubing that follows along the front of the bumper. The breather hose is AFTER the sensor!! and its well priced to boot. K&N is no slouch when it comes to reputation. I don't see any reason why this intake should not be top of the list for the xA (except for CARB... ).
Sight unseen, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is MAY be the best intake for the xA (if you are going with the "pipe-type" intake, non-traditional styles not withstanding). Possible caveats are how low it hangs down, but the benefit of that may be that it can get air from the lower grills. Like the xB version, it also includes the Drycharger.
Pros:
Follows the relatively straight path along the front
Draws air away from engine area
Breather hose is after MAF sensor
Reasonably priced
Minimal Bends (and none are 90 degree)
K&N Filter?!
Included Drycharger for longer filter life
Cons:
No CARB EO yet
No proven gains yet
Chimmy Interest Level (0-5): 5

Product: Volant Cool Air Intake
Type: ??
Part no.: 18415
Colors: Black with CF "look"
Significant Bends: 2?
Street: $282
Product Link: http://www.volantperformance.com/pdetail.asp?ID=326
Volant is a company that primarily makes intakes for trucks. Luckily for the xB, they decided it was truck-like enough to make an intake for it.
Their intake is somewhat of a unique design, in fact one could say, its really just an upgraded stock air box. The design is less restrictive than a stock air box, and it uses a cone-type filter rather than the standard flat panel filters. Its interesting in that it has multiple openings for it to draw air from different locations. However, extra attachments need to be purchased in order to utilize those openings effectively. In its basic configuration, it draws air from the front of the car. Despite how it looks, I don't believe the front is any kind of ram air (unless you have a speed grill), since the top xB grill has no air flow. Its effectiveness is somewhat debateable, as it will lack some of the free air flow provided by shorter and more direct intakes (perhaps not gaining as much as others on the top end). However, some contest that an air box like set-up will allow the engine to draw air more easily on the usuable RPM range. Unfortunately for the Volant intake, the lack of direct evidence of gains in any range coupled with the high price will likely keep it out of the hands of any would-be tuners. But anyone having some money to burn and is looking for a stock airbox type look may want to check it out. On a personal level, I think this intake is interesting in that it can provide some interesting ram air combinations, but is way too expensive for me to want to get one to experiment with.
Pros:
Stock air box look
Multiple air sources possible
Better air flow than stock
Fills out the engine bay
Air filter is easily accessible for servicing and inspection
Interesting possibilities
Unique design
Cons:
xB ONLY!!!!
No proven gains
Very Expensive

Product: Weapon-R Dragon Intake
Part no.: 805-148-10x (replace 'x' with 1, 2, or 3 for color)
Colors: Polish, Red. Blue
Application: xB
Significant Bends: 1
CARB EO Status: Pending?
MSRP: $152
Street: $115
Manufacturer's Site: http://www.weapon-r.com/
Before buying a Weapon-R intake, one generally have to get around two things. The first is weapon-R's past reputation. Weapon R once had unfortunate reputation of making unreliable products a few year ago. Since then, the company has been under new management and has been making a genuine effort to overcome their checkered past. The second is their use of a foam filter element. While there are no direct comparisons with Weapon-R filters, in general, foam filters have poorer filtration and require more maintenance than other filters. But if you are able to look past those two things, the Dragon intake appears to be a very capable basic intake. The main selling point of the intake would be its price (lower than Injen's SR). Since, despite its filter, it should be comparable to other short pipe intakes, its lower price point makes it somewhat attractive. This is also a good buy for anyone just looking for intake tubing or was going to replace the filter in the first place. Weapon R intakes also have the option of being fitted with a ram air kit if that is of interest. Also a plus is Weapon-R's presence on this board (and they answer emails quickly). That kind of consumer attention is always welcome and a good sign of a healthy company.

Pros:
Inexpensive
Ram Air conversion
Staff availability for products questions/support
Cons:
Foam filter
Breather Hose is before MAF sensor
No CARB EO yet

Product: Weapon-R Dragon Intake
Part no.: 805-149-10x (replace 'x' with 1, 2, or 3 for color)
Colors: Polish, Red. Blue
Application: xA
Significant Bends: 0?
MSRP: $152
Street: $115
Manufacturer's Site: http://www.weapon-r.com/
Same exact kit as the one for the xB, only shorter (for fitment reasons I suppose). The same comments for the xB should apply here. Also notable is that this is a xA intake that has a relatively straight short pipe design and IMO may be a lower priced alternative to the K&N.
Pros:
Inexpensive
Ram Air conversion
Cons:
Foam filter
Breather Hose is before MAF sensor
No CARB EO

Coming soon:
EL-Prototypes
Perrin
SPFR
Weapon R Secret Weapon

More to come:
Filter Replacements:
TRD
K&N
GReddy Airinx II

Accessories:
Weapon R ram air kit
Weapon R Cold Air shield
AEM bypass valve
K&N Dry Charger
Volant Cold Air extensions
Apexi Cone Filter Replacement

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-21-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Banned

very nice very nice
Old 04-01-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good work, kinda anxious to see your K&N write-up.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

stickied!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tech support @ AEM says you can put a bypass valve on the 2.0 CAI -- but you have to cut it in the middle. I don't know if I could take a saw blade to such a beautiful chunk of metal, though.

But nice summary that should help out a lot of newbies!
Old 04-03-2005, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Updated:
K&N
Airflow Bends
CARB Info

how do you people feel about putting in pics?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some pics would be great, especially on the K&N Typhoon intake for the xA. I would really like to see the actual product, not some stock image provided by the manufacturer since it could be for an entirely different vehicle.

Excellent job nonetheless Now if only someone would do this for the exhausts...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

VERY NICE WRITE UP, IT HELPS POTENTIAL BUYERS A LOT, GOOD JOB
sorry for caps ididnt notice
Old 04-15-2005, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

updated:
AEM rubbing issue
volant section
more GReddy Airinx info

Does anyone out there have actual product pics of the weapon-R intakes?
I need both the secret weapon ones and the dragon ones, since weapon-R doesn't show any on their site. or if anyone has come across any.. let me know.

Also does anyone have pics or info on the EL prototypes one (like what type of filter it uses?)

And if anyone could fill me in on whatever happened to SPFR, their web site is gone and I'm assuming the worst.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice write up

still undecided though
Old 04-27-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It would be amazing if you could post the usual whp increases associated with these mods. GREAT write-up!

-Olivier
Old 04-27-2005, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I love my aem L pipe except that it's carb pending . the only intakes I would buy is injen short ram and aem L pipe.

for an xa i'd get the k&n
Old 04-28-2005, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Why not the K&N for the xB?
I love my K&N.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 04-28-2005, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it doesnt feed my fancy.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nice write up...just saw this now...very nice...
Old 04-28-2005, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

minor update for weapon R dragon intakes

they kinda got shafted for being last alphabetically
Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

eh they look really really cheaply made.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:32 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I think that I agree that the K&N would be good for the xA, but it seems like it draws warm air from behind the radiator and/or AC radiator thing. In the other side the Injen seems to have more bends than the AEM, but they are way
less restrictive plus it's getting air from a colder place than the K&N. So that's why I went with the Injen and not the K&N, for my xA. Oh and by the way, the Injen intake shows good or better gains for the xA than the other ones.

Just an opinion.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-21-2020 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Year Badge
Old 05-03-2005, 02:46 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the Short Ram Injen Intake 3 months before I bought the car and I love it best Intake I ever bought.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-21-2020 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Year Badge
Old 05-13-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Great job on the right-ups ! I just purchased the Injen SR2100 without seeing this (DOH!). Looks like I made a good choice. Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Intakes