Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Smelly Exhaust

Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 PM

Default Smelly Exhaust

I've been dealing with smelly exhaust when I start my 2005 xA. Aside from that there is usually a delay when I press the accelerator quickly. I'm a learning DIYer but i'm guessing this has something to do with spark plugs? Any tips or guides I can follow to help point me in the right direction? No warning lights appear on the dashboard so I assume it thinks everything is ok but if I get an interface to connect to the cars computer might it tell me error codes about this even though no warning lights appear on the dash?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tighten your throttle cable. I'm sure it's loose from 10 years of wear. As far as smelly exhaust, that has to do with your exhaust. Maybe a cat is blown, or you have a hole somewhere.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:58 PM

As simple as that sounds i'm still learning so I want to try to explain a little better. For the accelerator issue, I mean if im merging onto the highway, the car is already doing 30 mpg and I have to get it up to 60 to keep up with traffic I press the accelerator more and sometimes there is a short delay before the engine really picks up speed. I've never experienced this with other cars.

As for the smelly exhaust i'm not familiar with the term 'blown cat' but after a little reading I assume you mean a failed catalytic converter. Would be able to tell me where I can find more information about this specific to an xA so I know where it is, how to tell if its 'blown', and possibly how to repair/replace it? I'm just starting to learn and get familiar with the car but I first thought spark plugs because I saw a video on youtube that misfiring can cause the rich exhaust smell I get sometimes. Only on a cold start up by the way.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Loose throttle cable still.

And yes, failed catalytic converter. There is nothing specific about exhaust to any vehicle. They are all the same. Replacing it is as easy as any exhaust work.

But yes, both these issues you are having can be spark plugs. If the plugs are firing hot enough, some gas will stay in there and you will get the smell of gas. You just said "smelly", not any specific smell. That will explain the acceleration too. I'd start with spark plugs first, and make sure there isn't slack in your throttle cable.