Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've done a little bit of dyno testing awhile ago. I thought I might share a bit. exhausts for the Xa and Xb are to free flowing they aren't keeping enough back pressure to the engine and it throws the ecu out of wack. I found I made more horsepower and tourque with the factory muffler then with my aftermarket catback system all the way through the RPM range the only place the aftermarket system was better was at top rpms.

Borla makes the TRD exhaust. This is pretty common knowledge. It will provide a 2 horsepower gain to the wheels.

The combonation of a trd japanese header,TRD airfilter,and TRd exhaust makes 9 wheel horsepower that is the setup I am currently running. then I removed the mesh in front of the mass air flow sensor and gained 1 horsepower including the carbon filter of course that had to go too.

Then what I found really interesting I removed the factory snorkel and ran a tube to the wheel well and the cold air started to cause horsepower and tourque loss the ecu doesn't like it.

Borla sells a univeral muffler that will work fine for 100 bucks and you can buy the tip seperate and clamp it on or have it welded on and this route may save you money but I have not tested this on the dyno.

What we did find out for sure was that the more free flowing the muffler was the worse it got power wise so TRD was the best option. we also found there is much to be gained by welding in a toyota celica cataylitic converter 3whp I hope this helps some. results may vary for other who don't have the same exact setup.

I am a firm believer in the research TRD puts into it's products I love their springs as well and the best mod for my money that I've done was the agency power pulley. power wise hope this helps somone.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Did you happen to dyno the pulley?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually no I have not dyno'd the pulley since I installed it a week ago. I highly doubt that pullies give the horsepower gains advertisers claim. As far a bolt on I noticed more of a diffrence with the pulley then with any other modification I have done to the car. my car is natrually aspirated of course as far as the feeling when driving after it was installed it made more diffrence than any other part that has been installed including my TRD ist header. I don't think pullies actually give you horsepower I think they free up what is already there. I will run it on the dyno again sometime soon. When I do I'll post the charts since I am done with the performance work unless I go to boost. The thing I can say about the agency power pulley which has nothing to do with an exhaust thread of course is that the car revs up so fast and since my car is an automatic it really made a huge diffrence. The pulley got rid of the lag when you jam the accelerator to the floor and I can definently tell a tremendous diffrence in my zero to sixty time. I'll post dyno results when I run it again btu I don't know whether pullies make alot of horsepower or they just free up the motor. I think they free up the motor to rev alot faster which in turn gets you into the VVTI alot faster. but we will see I did a write up in the Xa section on the pulley if you want to go read about what I thought were the pro's and the cons of it.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I currently have the TRD exhaust. It sounds good but it looks like crap IMO. It didint look bad for the first month but after that it turned this nasty stained copper color from the heat and it rubbed my bumper and put a nickle size melt mark on it. Also the walls of the tips are sooooo thin that you can hardly see it from behind. The best part of the TRD is prob its sound and that is suspect to interpretation to others' taste. I do believe it is good quality but like i said, its not much to look at and the sound is good, not great. Best sounding ones IMO are the RSR gt2 and the HKS hi power.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear that
Old 08-21-2006, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think everybody should get the greddy axleback exhuast...it has a nice deep tone, gives the car good top end...i raced an xa and a xb beat them both...they had the trd sport muffler...i didnt beat them by much like a by a fender...but makes me happy...
Old 08-21-2006, 04:08 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kms_tuning
Does anybody have a trust exhaust?
well, i finally got my GReddy SP2, but all the warranty cards, and stuff had Trust logos all over it. i guess they own Greddy, or vice versa. who the hell knows.

all i do know is that i LOVE my SP2 exhaust. great sound, and perfect fitment.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trust is GReddy in Japan.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:17 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

that makes more sense now ^^^
Old 08-22-2006, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just put an Espelir axle back on my xB today and it sounds great! nice and throaty deep. With the silencer in, it is nearly stock quiet if not quiter than stock!! I posted pictures and videos herehttps://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...473&highlight=
Old 08-28-2006, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

new thing I just found out there is a spring loaded valve in the stock muffler and the TRD so the freeflowing catbacks aren't going to give the power gains. toyota tuned those two mufflers specifically for the car and tons of research went into the valves I think an aftermarket company needs to catch up to the technoogy. I'll be going with the TRD hopefully soon or sellling my strup and generic branded exaust and going back to the oem muffler it depends on wether I can buy the used TRD.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member

I just got my exhaust and cold air on the other day. Between the two, I can defiantly feel a power increase. I went with a Bomz cold air, and a Greddy evo 2 axle back. The exhaust is too quiet ( it sounds most of the exhausts for the xb is quiet. You can't really tell any difference at idle. It doesn't have a deep tone, it is more of a higher pitch exhaust note that sounds like racing tuner, but much quieter. I love the sound, but needs to be a little louder.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned
SL Member

You say potatoes ... i say pototoes ....

There will be those who say that bolt on accessories will or wil not provide added power. IMO if you allow the engine to breath better, both on the intake and exhaust side you can get more power from what you have. Can you turn the VVTi into a blown small block 350 ... nadda chance. But you can get better response and performance with some add ons. Here is what i have ..

Injen short ram intake. I installed this with 8 miles on the car. I have ridden in stock boxes and noticed the lack of response from trying to breath through a paper bag vs. cotton gauze.

Borla axle back. I added this lil nugget earlier this year. I bought it used, and thus far has been the best performance mod i have installed. I noticed right away. Pickup ( get up and go ) onto highways and passing has greatly improved. It has a nice exhaust tone too. Not offensive at all. Its a Borla! Oh, and the exhaust tip fills the factory exhaust hole very nicely. The way the tip is designed it doesnt get hot enough to cause damage to the rear lip.

Strup Header. Installed last weekend. Air tools are your friend. Under an hour from start to finish. What i have noticed from this install is the consistant power gains through the acceleration process. Meaning that by applying even pressure to the acclerator pedal on a highway merge the power increases swiftly with out kicking into lower gear. If need be, you can punch it and get the tranny to kick down and move faster.

Like i said, some here will say bullsh*t! All i can tell you is that time after time from people either driving or sitting in the passenger seat they are just as impressed as i with the power and acceleration over their boxes.

BTW .... im currently looking into adding a pulley as well. From what i have read this will reduce the rotating mass as much as 100#s.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

what about the flowmaster and magnaflow exausts? I got quoted for a flowmaster, cat back of $49-$89 installed and everything, the flowmaster is supposed to be a nice deep throaty sound, that only gets loud when you get on it, and even then its not supposed to be that loud
Old 09-15-2006, 03:06 AM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just picked up a trd muffler exhaust, i'll give you my reviews as soon as i install it.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

we need to get more posts in here about exhausts. More pro's and con's
Old 10-19-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i wanna hear a review on the invidia cat back exhaust...
Old 10-19-2006, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member

i have a few questions about the borla exhaust systems. i heard that they are one of the best exhaust systems and i wanted to know how much its going to change from my stock exhaust. like will the sound be more powerful and how much estimated HP will it give it? I wanted to buy this model http://www.lmperformance.com/6967/72.html.
i also wanted to know if there is a sound difference if you get it as a split rear exit or a single rear exit. oh and whats the difference between an axle back or a cat back? and which one will be the best one to get for my scion. sorry for asking all these questions! thank you all<3
Old 10-22-2006, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member

I just put the Greddy exhaust on my XB.. What cha guys think about the greddy?? Anyone has one on their ride??
Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im planning on getting an exhaust system. what is the best bang for the buck? i dont want anything that is too loud or too quiet, just the right amount of sound you know what i mean? plz tell me thx

Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Exhaust