Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Suspension Question

Hi, I am new here and have searched the site for answers but still seek some more help. My 06 XB was is lowered since I got it with bigger rims. I recently bought and installed the stock rims and tire size and what a difference. The ride especially in the highway is far more quieter. However the ride quality with regards to pot holes and rough roads remains bad. I have changed the tire psi to different levels but the ride quality is about the same. The springs are definitely not stock hence the lower height of the car but I think the shocks are stock. The car has about 80K right now and drives good. My main question is will replacing the springs with the stock make a difference? I mean right now I can feel any tiny potholes when driving and I know its not a Lexus but again there may be a bit more I can do in order to get a comfortable ride. I prefer comfort to performance and so if going all stock would give me what I want then I will not hesitate. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, lower springs are also stiffer thus reducing ride comfort during suspension impacts, so the softer stock springs will make the ride more supple as will new shocks depending on how old and what kind it is riding on now.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The stock springs are even pretty stiff. If possible test drive a stock xa or xb if there are any for sale around you. It might not be worth the money to get stock springs. I always heard of people getting better comfort going with aftermarket lowering springs.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mb2008
The stock springs are even pretty stiff. If possible test drive a stock xa or xb if there are any for sale around you. It might not be worth the money to get stock springs. I always heard of people getting better comfort going with aftermarket lowering springs.
I've heard the same thing voiced from owners of df210 that say comfort is the same or better than stock so it depends what kinds of springs you have.

I just replaced the rear stock shocks today to koni yellow sports and this noticeably improved the ride quality... so that's something else you can look at.