Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Prep'd turbo install problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will do. I tried reflashing on the old harness but maybe the new one will give me better luck. Worth a shot. Thanks!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by That_Kid_Ju
Interesting development. This morning I got the bright idea to reflash the FIC before going out and checking the resistor mod on the harness and sourcing a new FIC. So I reflashed z104.hex, started the car and it worked like a charm! Just in case it was a fluke, I let it idle for a minute, shut it down, then tried to start again and it worked. Drove to work (28 miles), shut the car off, and tried again. It started, though cranking took about 1/2 longer. It started fine 3 times in a row.

Gonna keep checking it throughout the day to see if anything different happens. Will know by the end of the week whether the CEL pops back up or not. So before putting in a new FIC, try reflashing your existing one.
So you reflashed the firmware? I wonder if it becomes corrupt and somehow triggers the CEL
Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So far that's how it's looking. Started it up a couple times this afternoon at lunch and no issues, no cel. Still have a few more days of driving before the ecu goes thru it's scan and the obd reads ready. It's looking promissing though.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by That_Kid_Ju
So far that's how it's looking. Started it up a couple times this afternoon at lunch and no issues, no cel. Still have a few more days of driving before the ecu goes thru it's scan and the obd reads ready. It's looking promissing though.
Usually 50 miles
Old 04-22-2014, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good news guys. Got my new FIC and plugged it in. Started right up NO CEL!!. turbo is finally going in when I get some time off of work.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Excellent!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great news! Glad you stuck it out. Too many people run into problems and give up when going turbo.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
Great news! Glad you stuck it out. Too many people run into problems and give up when going turbo.
Oh im sticking it out. Ive always wanted to boost my car since day 1 when I drove it off the lot brand new. Im sure I will run into other problems but when it happens ill deal with it then. Thanks for your support guys.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jonny5ive
Oh im sticking it out. Ive always wanted to boost my car since day 1 when I drove it off the lot brand new. Im sure I will run into other problems but when it happens ill deal with it then. Thanks for your support guys.
Haha I was in the same boat. I've been waiting 5 years and it was so worth it! Get her up an running and spank some fools!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

So awesome!!!! Boost it already would ya?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I finally started to get the kit on. Got everything including injectors and it fires up just fine. Now when I tried give it some gas since I plan driving it to get it tuned but it doesnt do a damn thing lol. Im thinking that maybe my vacuun lines arent hooked up right. I have a vacuum block tied into my tb and maf sensor. I feel like we need a song like "the leg is connected to the...." but vacuum lines. I know the bov goes to the vacuum block. I have 2 ports on the WG and a solenoid boost control. I was told the turbo pressure housing Ts to the bottom wg port and the solenoid then the other port on the solenoid goes to the top of the wg. Doesnt the wg need to go to the block as well? Halp please. Thx.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jonny5ive post some pictures or videos of how you routed the lines and where your getting your boost/vacuum source from. All small issues on the road to boost but your 95% there congrats bro.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for the late late reply but here's an update for you guys. I took the whole kit off since I could not figure out what was going on with it and some of the sealant on the oil pan had a leak (not good). I put the kit back on and everything is bolted on, sealed just fine and all. Vacuum lines are where they should be hooked up (ill post pictures) and the car starts up just fine with no idle issues. (except a vacuum leak possibly?) <<< I say this because on a stock setup my gauge read -20. With the turbo on during idle it reads -7.5. Now I know its a completely different setup but I just want to make sure if this is or isn't normal. I've read that dezods kit reads -20 to -22 during idle. This is a ptuning kit and don't know if it should read the same. Now ill disconnect 1 vacuum line just to see what happens and the gauge then reads -3.5. Is -7.5 vacuum normal during idle or does it look like I have a leak somewhere? ive checked all fittings on vacuum lines and hoses. Everything is going to a vacuum block so ill start pulling different lines and blocking them off to see if that fixes my problem. I'm almost there I can taste it. Please lemme know if this is or isn't normal. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

From left to right.
1. To throttle body
2. 2 hooks to port 3
3. Hooks to port 2.
4. Goes to gauge and fic
5. Goes to intake pipe
6. Goes to bov
7. Goes to bottom of maf

This is my setup.
Attached Thumbnails Prep'd turbo install problem-uploadfromtaptalk1403454428124.jpg  
Old 06-22-2014, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

7.5 is waaaayyy too low. That's a pretty bad leak. I think your solenoid connections are bad. You should have a source (comp housing, vac block, etc) tee'd for the bottom of the wastegate and input of the solenoid. The top of the wastegate should be connected to the output of the solenoid (usually).
Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fixed the vacuum problem now im readin -20. Right now im just running a vacuum line from my compressor to the wg and gonna use the spring till I get it to the shop. Then ill use the electronic boost solenoid. Can boost be made on a car if it is on jack stands? Or does the engine need to have a load put on it?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Problem solved boost made with wheels on the ground and on a baee map. When I tried running the same base map I sputter like crazy. Then I disconnected the aem fic and ran stock ecu and it runs just fine. Can I use the stock ecu to get to the tuner. My wideband is reporting 10-12 which is rich right?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should not be boosting until you can get it to the tuner. Base maps are only good for getting to a tuner and mostly driving under vacuum. 10-12 AFR is very rich, which is at least better to have on a basemap. I would not recommend driving on the stock ecu. You run the risk of the ecu throwing the car into limp mode or even worse, leaning out during acceleration and going BOOM.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well we dont want that do we. Ill make the car run on a base map and head straight to the tuner. Thanks. Hopefully I get it all squared away.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you are almost done. Good job! Where abouts is your vacuum source? Best for the tc is the brake booster line. I had it off one of the TB lines and it idled about -10. Now my Ptuning kit idles at -20 as well so thats good to hear.

Are you going to be dynoing the setup?

Quick Reply: Prep'd turbo install problem