Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

2014 Toyota Corolla S Review

Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 PM
SL Member

Default 2014 Toyota Corolla S Review

The just of my review is here. My thoughts are the suspension is stiffer then my 08 tC was from the factory and handles pretty darn well for stock. The front seats have great upper body support for taking turns at higher speeds, and combined with the 17" allows and "Manual Mode" auto feature in "Sport Mode" the throttle response is damn good! It's gets to 40mph easily but anything over 55 is bleh..and by bleh just don't even bother complaining when you NEED to double downshift to pass at 70.

Now for those of you who are concerned with comfortability while driving, the "stiffer" setup isn't going to be bothersome on long drives. I drove to/from Orlando from Satellite Beach and didn't feel the slightest bit sore during or after the trips. Shift shock is almost non-existent due to the CVT, even in "Manual Mode". That CVT also makes up for the 34MPG average with very aggressive driving on the highway. I had people driving erratically and slapped it into Manual and even with 3rd/4th gear passes. The cabin isn't loud by any means with the windows up even at 90MPH, which brings me to the next section.

I consider myself an audiophile, and the factory 2DIN touch screen radio I had in my S model was great for factory. It comes with an AUX port and USB port with iPod/iPhone support and even worked flawlessly with my iPhone 5S running the newest iOS7.1 over USB or bluetooth. I tested my Samsung Galaxy S4 and got nothing but a charge signal, so for you Droid fans I'm sorry to say this is not going to be fun unless you connect via Bluetooth, which the only complaint I have about using the Bluetooth is that there is a 1-2 second lag in the time between connection in either direction (from the radio or the device)...I actually had to disconnect my S4 during a movie (while stopped) due to having 3 seconds of audio lag behind the video, iOS wasn't as bad but still very noticeable. The output of this 2DIN are amazing minus a lack of bass, but you can't expect much from 5 3/4" components. The vocals are clear and the highs are great, now I listened from EDM to Classic rock and the quality changed immensely, while EDM was perfect in the vocals and highs Classic Rock was lacking in the lower vocals and almost sounded dry. I would highly recommend getting a 8" or 10" sub for you audiophiles.

As for the seating in the vehicle the leather/cloth seating was excellent for factory. I could take turns almost as well as my tC with Racelands but a healthy bit slower due to the softer springs (for comfortability) and prius tires. But the where the real test in my eyes came in was when I had to spend the night in the Corolla S. Yep, you read correctly...no need to get your eyes checked. I spent the night in this car and was not disappointed, the seats breathe very nice for the leather/cloth wrapping around them. I didn't wake up any more stiff than the stiff mattress a friend of mine let me spend the night on and the leg room while stretched out wasn't an issue for me (I'm 5'10").

Overall I wouldn't recommend this to the aggressive daily driver who seeks thrill out of an economy car, spent less money and grab a new tC for less money and get just as many features. The CVT gets great MPG for DD and allows a "Sporty" feel when you may (or may not) want it, and allows use of the paddle shifters even in Drive.

RoboTuner