Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

tC radio door squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

couple wires hooked to your radio wire harness. drill a couple holes. took me about 2 hours or so to put in, it's not hard just time consuming. takes your stock radio door and and fits a motor to it. There is a really good thread somewhere in here on how to install.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh snap..............This tread popped in my head today when I was riding around Downtown Hamtramck (lots of random pot holes) and I decided to ride with my cover closed. I used to all the time cause I have a 06 with steering controls......But ever since I put it a aftermarket head unit. I leave the cover open to watch all the blinky lights.

And wouldn't you know. It doesn't squeak when its closed.
Only when its open. This is amazing!!! Amazingly awful!!

I got to read back throught the post, I thought I saw some grease lube fix, but it didn't make complete since. Hey NY avatar, is yours fixed. Cause I'm with you, this is some freaky crazy sH*t.

Only when its open!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

same thing........when its open it doesnt squeek!

Its the most annoyingest squeek you will ever hear, it seems when i turn up my bass, it makes is worse! SOB! Im gona go nuts!

ive only used some WD-40 type stuff, products along that line. Some worked but only for a few dibits in the road, then it comes back! I really dont want to go to the dealer for this!
Old 01-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by dieselstation
i fixed mine by taking the door out. completely. i never use it anyways.
Exactly what I did. What'd did you all use to fill the gap above the top of the dash kit...Or Am i the only one with the horribly crappy scosche dask kit that the radio cover didn't even fit over????
Old 01-22-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

^^^^ hmmmmmmmmmm.....................any pics of that?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cant take my cover off, it'll mess up the waterfall console! Today i road with the cover closed. I don't like doing that, cause then I start playing with, and ultimately missing my steering controls not functioning with my radio.
Those were the days though.

Squeak stopped though.................... where is this coming from and what product needs to be sprayed/rubbed on where?

Yanki01........ keep posting and maybe, you and I will put this message out to those who know how to fix this problem for us. I'm not going to the dealership for this either. They will probably say its because you changed the hu, but its not
Old 01-22-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

^^ True! I dont like driving with the door closed. I hope some1 knows how to fix it!

I thought the same about the dealer, they'll say its my aftermarket HU! Punks!

Im about to dump about a gallon of grease and loose wax all over this thing!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be rational, put the grease down
It is minor-ly upsetting

But

Its the weekend, clark kent works 9-5 so maybe they'll post an answer soon in
a couple days
Old 01-23-2006, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have this same squeek. i couldn't for the life of me figure out if it was coming from the door or the dash. i took the dash apart but still couldn't find the source. when i put it back together, it stopped for a few weeks. but it came back after a while, but it's only intermittent now. idk. . . .
Old 01-23-2006, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

it makes you go crazy!!!! (or at least me)
Old 01-23-2006, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm sitting here laughing because after i installed my PIE aux unit i had this same squeek and it was driving me crazy.... until i found out what it was and fixed it!! are you guys hearing a high pitched squeek? if that's the one, i know what to fix and it has nothing to do with screws or any kind of grease.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

^^^ yes, the most annoyingest squeek ever!!! so what's the problem! I know it has to do something with the door?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, it's actually not the door. i tried tightening up screws and all that did was make the door a little harder to close, but the squeek still lived. i'll take some pictures when i get home to show you how i fixed it. it's going to be much easier than me trying to explain it. but seeing how long this thread has been going, i say just hang in for a couple more hours. i'll have something up by tonight.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

sweet~!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............................. stop the squeaky.

Save us!! Is that superman (random village folks in brown 50's color outfitts pose pointing towards the sky with index fingers)
Old 01-24-2006, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

^^^ WTF? LMAO!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally get to contribute something useful to scionlife. I must say this is the most annoying squeek I have ever heard in any car. It's so high-pitched that I could even hear it with my music turned up. So after driving me nuts, I took the cover off and poked around til I figured it out. You can call this a quick ghetto-style fix, but hey... it stopped the squeek! I had some leftover tape from installing the PIE Aux unit, so that's what I ended up using. You could use anything else if you wanted, perhaps even some folded paper. Anyways, here's what you need to do:

Find some 3M double sided Molding Tape.

You will not need to peel off the red side. The exposed sticky side is all we will need.

The problem is caused by some flexing in the top part of the cover. You can push down on the top where the vents are and you will notice that there is some play. This movement is what causes the squeek.

As you can see in this next close-up picture, there is a plastic tab with a hole and there is a plastic rod that goes through that hole. The squeek you are hearing is the result of this plastic rod rubbing.

Therefore, the trick is to stop this from moving. Here's what I did.

You want to cut out two squares of tape and place one on top of the other to make it thicker. Then place the tape right under the plastic tab. Repeat for the other side. What this does is prevent the top from moving up and down, thus keeping the little plastic rod from rubbing. The third picture above also shows another angle of where I placed the tape.

Also, to further help reduce any movement, I cut out two small rectangular pieces of tape and placed them here.

You can probably get away without using these last two pieces, but I wanted to play it safe. Also, I don't know how this will differ with other tCs. You might find that you might actually need to double up on the rectangular pieces, or perhaps you'll need three squares instead of two for the first step. I'm simply telling you what worked for me so don't hang me if it differs for you! At the very least, now you know what the root of the problem is and how to go about fixing it.

So there you have it. I just finished taking the dash apart to take these pictures and after putting everything back together and driving around the block I still have no squeeks. So I'm pretty positive they will not come back. Enjoy!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO! i have a project!

Off to the grocery store!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

it worked! no squeeks!

thank you sooooo much! Your the man!
Old 01-24-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anytime brotha! i'm glad it worked for you too. you don't know how glad i was when i finally figured it out. i've been putting off writing this up but when i saw this thread i knew it was time lol. if anyone else has questions feel free to hit me up.

Quick Reply: tC radio door squeak