Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Alternator will not budge. (Edit: Easily solved)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Alternator will not budge. (Edit: Easily solved)

Trying to change the serpentine belt on my 05 xB 5 speed, but no matter what I do (even very forceful pry bar) the alternator won't move in any direction. I losen the main bolt (take it off completely) from the bracket, but it just won't budge. Almost feels like it's welded in place.
With the bracket completely off it still will not move forward or backward. I'm tired of it squealing when I turn on the AC. Am I missing a step because I've read and watch several tutorials. This freaking alternator just won't move. Argh.

Last edited by trian79; 08-14-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Did you loosen the bolt on the bottom? Sounds like you've removed the bolt on top and the bolt holding the bracket but there is one underneath also and, without loosening that one, it'll never move.

Be careful where you pry also as a number of oil control valves have fallen victim to random prying in an attempt to tension the belts, which aren't serpentine but rather V-ribbed, hence the need to tension them manually.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually I did manage to fix the problem. I just had a very hard getting to that bolt but once I could it changed everything. I had to pretty much max out the tension on the belt / alternator but holy hell my belt squealing / engine bogging problem is GONE. Even a reputable car repair place near me couldn't fix the squealing. It was so freaking easy. Thanks for the reply and the help. I figured it all out pretty much after this thread was made but help is always so much appreciated.

Do you (IYO) think the tension being nearly maxed out will have any negative effects down the road? It was the only way to completely eliminate the chirping noises, occasional squealing (especially when wet outside) and engine bogging when the AC is on.

Last edited by trian79; 08-15-2018 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

There's a spec for the tension on the belts and you can buy a tension gauge for V-belts (I have one from Gates)...I wouldn't crank it down too tight or it's going to put more of a load on the various bearings and that will only lead to issues down the road.

Did you replace the belts or just tighten them? If you had to crank them to get the squealing stopped I might invest in new belts as it'll be less expensive in the long run and now it seems you've got the belt thing pretty well figured out.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
There's a spec for the tension on the belts and you can buy a tension gauge for V-belts (I have one from Gates)...I wouldn't crank it down too tight or it's going to put more of a load on the various bearings and that will only lead to issues down the road.

Did you replace the belts or just tighten them? If you had to crank them to get the squealing stopped I might invest in new belts as it'll be less expensive in the long run and now it seems you've got the belt thing pretty well figured out.
Well I took it into a shop to have belts replaced 3 years ago, and to fix the squealing. Replacing belts didn't fix anything but they are still very good looking, so no replacing needed. I adjusted the alternator until I could turn everything on and not have the engine bog down or squeal like it had been so much for years now, driving me insane at random times. I did what I had to do. The tension bracket is actually close to maxed out. I'm not super comfortable with it this way but the xB feels like it has a lot more zip, engine isn't bogging or chirping, and most importantly no more squealing. Thanks for the help and the heads up. I hope I didn't hurt anything. I was careful about the process and everything feels fantastic now. Almost like anew car. Hell I can even get on the e-way ramp and get up to speed faster than before.

Last edited by trian79; 08-15-2018 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Glad you are again up and running the way you should be...
Old 08-15-2018, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you! It almost feels too good to be true. Things have been great since the adjustment. I still live in fear of the squeal but I think I might be able to let that fear go now hopefully.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trian79
Actually I did manage to fix the problem. I just had a very hard getting to that bolt but once I could it changed everything. I had to pretty much max out the tension on the belt / alternator but holy hell my belt squealing / engine bogging problem is GONE. Even a reputable car repair place near me couldn't fix the squealing. It was so freaking easy. Thanks for the reply and the help. I figured it all out pretty much after this thread was made but help is always so much appreciated.

Do you (IYO) think the tension being nearly maxed out will have any negative effects down the road? It was the only way to completely eliminate the chirping noises, occasional squealing (especially when wet outside) and engine bogging when the AC is on.
Yes, too much bet tension will cause problems down the road. It will take out the bearing(s) on the alternator. If you have a belt squealing problem, I'd recommend new belts. And more importantly, I'd recommend using OEM (Toyota) belts. I changed the belts on my first xB at about 60,000 miles, not because anything was wrong, but more because I thought it was time. I purchased the best belts the local parts store had to offer. About a week later, I started getting a squeal. I took the car to the Toyota dealership my son worked at as a Service Technician and he popped the hood. His Team Leader poked his head in and saw the aftermarket belts. "Put some OEM belts in and your problem will disappear" he said. He was absolutely right.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm having the same issue on my xA, but it's so hard to even find the lower bolt that I haven't been able to do the adjustment. Got any tips about getting to that bolt?