10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exhaust Install (Megan Catback)

Tools Needed:
Socket set
Jack
Jack Stands
Pam (Yes that’s right cooking spray or oil will do)
A good friend

Supplies Needed:
2 7/16th x 2.5 or 3 inch long bolts
2 7/16th Nuts

Recommended:
Impact wrench (These bolts are really tight I had a hard time even with the impact wrench, So id really recommend it.)

First off get the car on jack stands.

From there get under the passenger side of the car and unbolt the to spring loaded bolts holding the axle back to the mid pipe. There are two they are 13MM (I’m pretty sure will recheck)

Then remove the bracket that supports the mid pipe. There is 4 bolts they are 12 MM (I’m pretty sure will recheck) As you can see its good to have a friend help you with this install *You may notice him from the DC Header install * have yourself on one side of the car your friend on the other.

Bracket removed.

Spray pam or oil on the rubber hangers.

And remove them from the car. Then remove the rubber from the exhaust hangers and replace them on the car. (I found it easier this way)

Now remove the bolts holding the S. Pipe into the mid pipe. There is two of them they are 9/16th.

Remove the mid pipe.

Go to the back and spray Pam or oil on the rubber hangers for the axle back.

Remove the axle back.

Grab your Megan muffler and install it using the rubber hangers (You may notice the exhaust doesn’t want to sit right. This is main problem of the two problems I’ve found with the exhaust. I do have a semi fix for this I will post below)

Now grab your first of the two pipes for the mid pipe. (It’s the one with the resonator)

Bolt it up using the stock bolts. If you use some sort of AM S.Pipe you may need custom bolts.

Place the hangers into the rubber hangers.

These are the only two bolts Megan Racing sends you, They connect the first and second pipe for the mid pipe together.

Grab your second pipe for the mid pipe. (The only one left) and bolt it up using the 9/16 bolts and nuts.

Now tighten your axle back to the mid pipe using your bolts that you choose.

You will not be able to use the impact wrench for this as you can see how close the socket is to the curve in the pipe. You need to hand tighten this. Using a normal socket set. This is about the hardest part of the whole install being the axle back is off about 1.5 inches from the mid pipe outlet. I had to bolt everything up first and force it into place for now.

Here is the fix I was talking about. When you install this exhaust it tends to try to eat your back bumper. So what I did was clamp two rubber hangers together. You will have an extra one hanging around from the Stock exhaust. Although this does fix it from melting the bumper and chipping the paint it does sit to low. I’ve yet to come up with a better fix to make it fit perfect. * Note: The more you tighten the clamp the higher the exhaust sits. *

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/image...c2/exhaust.JPG

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/image...2/exhaust2.JPG

Some others used this method, I tried it and it did lower it but not good enough to stop the paint chips/wrinkles IMO.

Review:

The first thing I noticed about this exhaust system is the fitment. Lets just say its not the best but by far not the worst. It could use some improvement (Witch I hear Megan Racing is doing). For one I had to force the axle back onto the mid pipe. Witch was a bit of a pain. Second is that the mid pipe sits about an inch to low causing it to sit on the stock support bracket. This isn’t a problem when the car is off but when you start up and get on it you can hear a horrid rattle coming from the mid pipe hitting the bracket. If there was some type of insert that was cushion enough to stop the rattle but heat resistant that would help this problem out a lot. Or you could just remove the bracket all together. As for the tone of the exhaust it cleared up some of my rasp from the DC Header. It still gets raspy at about 3000 and up but not as bad as some I’ve heard. The exhaust tone is deep and low at idle to about 2500 RPM. From 3000 RPM and up the exhaust gets a little loud with some rasp. I was going to run the car on the ProScan to see the gains. But the weather did not permit it. From the feel of things it felt a lot more responsive. For the price id say you can't beat this exhaust with a stick. It just needs some minor tweaks and its all good.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have three ?'s for you;
(1) How long did this take you? From your write-up, it doesn't seem too time-consuming.
(2) How much was your Cat-Back?
(3) In your 8th pic, did your buddy sniff too much Pam? He looks knocked-out!
Old 10-02-2005, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u have a speaker under your car???
Old 10-02-2005, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was going to ask if that was a speaker too.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
I have three ?'s for you;
(1) How long did this take you? From your write-up, it doesn't seem too time-consuming.
(2) How much was your Cat-Back?
(3) In your 8th pic, did your buddy sniff too much Pam? He looks knocked-out!
1.Install time is not bad at all just make sure its a nice cool day.
2.Check megan's site I think they are around $300 $400.
3.No he was just resting, it was about 110 degrees outside that day!

Originally Posted by paintball369
u have a speaker under your car???
Correct I have Marine speakers under my car one on the left and one on the right I posted a DIY on it here. People have been doing this for a long time now mostly on big rim suv's and such. Few imports have them. Its sweet the way people look at you when your system is soooo loud but all the windows are up...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ghlight=marine
Old 10-03-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol nice
Old 10-03-2005, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lucky...you got to work with air tools. All I had were regular ones. Took much longer for me I bet.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice writeup man.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

im ordering one as soon as they come back on the market from megan
Old 10-04-2005, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

think this would be good matched up with megan headers? or maybe Alphawerks? im not a big fan of DC products

also maybe hookin it up with ZPI's s-pipe would give it some kick?

also, im not a fan of the Can that is show with this package.
this one >

is this the one you have installed? and can a different aftermarket once be installed?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a solution for the exhaust eating the back bumper. I had this problem. All i did was took a coat hanger (i kno it sounds cheap, but it works and is not visible) and wraped it around the exhaust and hooked it through the hook (located in the middle of the car between the two tires, u will see the hook) and twisted the ends of the hanger tightly then cut off the rest of the hanger that was left. Worked perfect for me, not only does it line the muffler up better, but it keeps it from moving and rattling as much when ur driving =)
Old 10-04-2005, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LucidBD,
You can do whatever you want with enough money! heh, In order to use a different muffler you would have to chop off the old one and have the new one welded on, It would still come out at an angle. The can they use is pretty good looks bad with the silencer though. Im going to hit this up with some flat black paint or powder from the axle back. I hate "bling" exhaust.

Juice,

I have a new fix, There is two hangers that hold up the axle back. One in the front one in the back. What I did was used 2 Rubber hangers in the BACK and put one rubber hanger in the FRONT with this mod done.

This way it will keep the exhaust at a good angle without eating your bumper.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the post and warnings! i am deciding between the megan or injen.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update: Megan has revised the catback, They are sending me out the prototype to test... I will post the results...
Old 11-15-2005, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default Update... D'oh!

Update: Install will be done in-house but Paul will get the photo's and reviews to share with you guys. He'll be the go-to guy for these things... as he'll be the FIRST TO KNOW!
Old 11-15-2005, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Must keep an eye on this thread.....

Good job with the DIY!!
Old 11-15-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As Steve stated I will not be getting the prototype to test out, They are doing this in house, The mid pipe to axle back section of my exhaust is sitting about 1inch off the ground so I scrape it everywhere... Hopefully this next Version will fit better...
Old 11-15-2005, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so your exhaust piping only sits an inch from the ground? i didnt know it sat so low
Old 11-15-2005, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea it does look like a speaker
Old 11-15-2005, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mizle
so your exhaust piping only sits an inch from the ground? i didnt know it sat so low
Not the whole setup just the Section where the Midpipe meets the Axle Back, The flange section is sitting that low...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Install (Megan Catback)