Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Performance stuff, TB spacer, header, head work, cat back ex

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Performance stuff, TB spacer, header, head work, cat back ex

I have been doing some digging and asking and I have decided I do not want to deal with the headaches associated with a Turbo or S-charger set up (and the potential problems) as well as down the road not being able to get repair parts for anything that wears out or breaks.

So if there is anyone out there with actual knowledge on these (not just what is supposed to happen-I have found a lot of those threads where people say what is claimed but haven't used it or installed it) I would love to hear it. I am looking for whether it worked or not and was it worth it.

1) Throttle body spacer (OBX)
2) Full exhaust cat back (I have the axle back but is it worthwhile to replace cat to axle piece)
3) Headers 4-1 vs 4-2-1 and is the header worth it-does it sacrifice low end???
4) Has anybody gotten the head ported and polished, valve jobs, etc and was it worth it?
5) Performance clutch-does it really help with about stock power?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

ill let you know about thecat back, i bought 2 1/4 inch piping off jegs for 80 bucks, a stright 5 foot peice and a j bend, and im guna chop the exhust just beforre resonater and run the 2 1/4 to axle back. stock piping is 1 3/4 after resonater so its damn tiny.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from the research i have done, the TB spacer will not get us much gains, as they work better with vehicles with a carb or throttle body injection of fuel, ours are direct injected. you may get a slight gain, some people say they are great on our engines some say no, but no one has yet to post any Dyno info with and w/o the spacer.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's what I found too. There is a thread on just this but it got so caught up on some guys dodge dart and how that helped and some guys dakota that it didn't work at all on...yadah, yadah...

That's what I am trying to avoid with these questions. I appreciate your response though.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

makes sence that it would work, if we have throttle body injection or a carb... more time for the fuel and air to mix, but for us, it just makes the intake longer, which does nothing for us.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4-1 headers will get you gains in the mid to high end.. 4-2-1 headers will get you some gains though through the low to mid range, specially with an intake and exaust.. cat back is deff better then axle back, on any vehicle - you are making more of the piping bigger... on our engines, i dont think w/o going turbo or s/c that a cat back would make a big difference over axle back personally... to me they are about the same on a n/a motor... if i were to go turbo though, i would go a full cat back system..
Old 02-06-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Performance stuff, TB spacer, header, head work, cat bac

Originally Posted by greybox
I have been doing some digging and asking and I have decided I do not want to deal with the headaches associated with a Turbo or S-charger set up (and the potential problems) as well as down the road not being able to get repair parts for anything that wears out or breaks.

So if there is anyone out there with actual knowledge on these (not just what is supposed to happen-I have found a lot of those threads where people say what is claimed but haven't used it or installed it) I would love to hear it. I am looking for whether it worked or not and was it worth it.

2) Full exhaust cat back (I have the axle back but is it worthwhile to replace cat to axle piece)
4) Has anybody gotten the head ported and polished, valve jobs, etc and was it worth it?

Thanks
1. Never used obx
2. Replace the entire exhaust.
3. 4-1 is top end, 4-2-1 is mid to top end without low end sacrifice to be short and sweet about it. Topic has been covered since 4-1 and 4-2-1 headers have been around.
4. Yes its worth it if your planning to build the motor, otherwise no. Don't forget tuning!!
5. Replacing the clutch is pointless on a stock motor.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about TB spacers for our cars (any brand)?

4-1 does sacrifice low end?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about TB spacers for our cars (any brand)?

4-1 does sacrifice low end?
What do you want to know about the spacers? If they make a difference? Install?

4-1 does sacrifice low end, but because your building all motor to begin with, it doesnt really matter if you go with 4-1 or 4-2-1.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TB spacer-does it make any difference? I've heard both yes and no.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TB spacer-does it make any difference? I've heard both yes and no.
No they dont. The only TB spacers ive seen work are fuel injected, and even then the gains are minimal. Some say MPG goes up with this mod, but i haven't seen it in the past.

Now paired with other mods, such as port and polish, intake, header, exhaust it might show some improvement, but your not going to notice any difference.

so i wouldnt waste your money.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Blog post about TBS's

http://www.truckblog.com/story-444-f...e_body_spacers
Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by MaxiVisVires

you also have to realize thats on a v10 truck. I had a tbs on my bronco and it was a waste of 110 dollars...im going to buy the obx one for 50 and see how it works out.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just so this doesn't turn into a TB spacer debate (because I asked for info from people that have actually used them) I am including some info I found.

I just want to know from anybody that has actually used one (on an xB would prefereable) on a similar engine at least.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/tbspacer/index.asp

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/282192

http://www.nissanforums.com/titan-ar...dy-spacer.html
Old 02-08-2008, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just so this doesn't turn into a TB spacer debate (because I asked for info from people that have actually used them) I am including some info I found.

I just want to know from anybody that has actually used one (on an xB would prefereable) on a similar engine at least.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/tbspacer/index.asp

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/282192

http://www.nissanforums.com/titan-ar...dy-spacer.html
Ive used TBS before. its useless.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool-thanks. Glad to hear actual user results.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out the new Import Tuner Magazine for April. On page 94 it starts the power pages bolt on power for the Xb. They do a short ram intake for about 2% gain, axle back for another 1% gain, and a header for 3.4% gain. All three get you 7 hp and 6.3 lbft tq for a total of 105 horse and 105.3 lbft TQ
Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Performance stuff, TB spacer, header, head work, cat bac

Thanks

i just had an act stage 2 clutch installed along with a 8lb fidanza aluminum flywheel, and a perrin light weight crank pulley

i can feel a huge difference, barely any bog between gears and much quicker off the line.

i was supposed to have the obx tbs installed too but the mechanics didn't like something about the unit and didn't install it because they were afriand of cracking the oem tb. something about the bolts that came with it, but i'm sure you can get shorter bolts somewhere
Old 02-13-2008, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you had any issues with the lightweight stuff and consistent driving? The reason I ask is I have read that a lightened flywheel will allow it to accelerate quicker but makes it harder to maintain a consistent speed or cruising or going up hills due to the inertia no longer being as high as it was.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i really just got this all done on monday so i havent had too much time behind the wheel, what i can say is that it gets up and goes a hell of alot faster than it used to. i have noticed a little lag if i slow down on the highway to around 60 in 5th it takes a bit to get back up but i'm fine with that. It just wants to go now...........off the line it is way faster than it was surprised me the first time i layed into it, it stuck me in the seat

Quick Reply: Performance stuff, TB spacer, header, head work, cat back ex