Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: How Are my DIYs
Sticky this now!
90.48%
Great 1st DIY
19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

DIY: Water Pump Replacment Tutorial - ( Scion XA & others 1.5L Engine) Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up DIY: Water Pump Replacment Tutorial - ( Scion XA & others 1.5L Engine) Instructions

I have learned much from forums and saved myself a lot of headaches. I guess it is time for me to give some knowledge to others that are also working on their own vehicles. I searched for a tutorial for this engine but came up with only bland and not exact-engine directions... So here is one for the Scion 1.5l engine

----------------------------------------------
Tools needed:

about 2hours +- depending on your experience with DIY

Sockets-
10mm
14mm
19mm (optional to loosen stuck radiator drain plug)

Clicky Wrenches, or end wrenches.

10mm
12mm
14mm
(If you dont own a set of gear-wrench or very similar u are missing out on the difference between, Very hard work to making it a piece of cake on some things!)

Floor jack

Some random screwdrivers for stopping pulley from turning while you remove pulley bolts, or buy special tool, or use a strap wrench or...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

First disconnect your negative battery cable so you dont trigger your airbags accidentally, wait at least 90 seconds before wrenching.

In the meantime drain your antifreeze If you catch it in a pan you can reuse it. Although it would be a good time to flush the system.

Remove 3 engine mount bolts that hold it to the frame RH side.

Remove the alternator and the top slide bar. (You may be able to leave the alternator in there, but I found for the 5 min it took to remove it, made the rest of the job much easier.) there is a plastic wire plug, and a plastic cap over a main wire. disconnect the wires ad move the harness end to the side, out of your way.
The top bolt is for adjusting the belt tension. there is also a bolt on the bottom of the alternator 14mm you have to loosen and remove.

Here is a close up of that little plastic cover on your alternator that you have to remove to get to one of the wire disconnects

Next, use a random screwdriver or something to stop the pully from turning so you can get the 3 bolts out.

Here is a pic after I removed the pully. (notice the red corrosion residue...caught it just in time) oh and there is that coolant drain.

Here is how i got to the bolt on the bottom of the water pump(use the 10mm clicky wrench!

There is almost enough room, but not quite.

Now you will have to jack the engine up about 2 inches, on the right hand side where you disconnected the engine mounts.I used a hydraulic floor jack, with a 2x6 flat between the oil pan and the jack. Be careful not to bend anything!!! it will lift easily if you have removed the mounting bolts. Water pump should easily come out now. Clean contact areas on water pump and engine block for gasket.

New water pump installed.

Here was the OEM toyota water pump with 173000 miles on it!....Wow! looks terrible now that it is out of there.

Here is a pic of the water pump before you start on anything

That's it for now. I just bought my XA 4 days ago, She is VERY clean other than a few little things that never were attended to.

The next DIY will be replacing the rear Wheel bearing another maintenance must for these.

Last edited by Sciota; 07-25-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up

Great pictures and write-up, Sciota!

I had to replace mine just yesterday, and as a matter of fact, this thread came in handy when I did mine.

A couple of extra things worth mentioning to anyone that's going to do this...

Make sure you grab a hold of a drip tray first. Find one that's at least 2 inches deep and wide enough to catch whatever coolant falls under the radiator, under the water pump, and under the oil sump. I thought I could get away with paper towels and a regular oil drip pan... but the paper acts like a conduit, and just spreads the coolant around... it got messy!

Definitely remove the alternator to make it easier to get to the pump. I can't remove the lower bolt to the alternator without loosening the two bolts that holds the air-bag sensor to the chassis (loosen both bolts, but remove one so you can pivot the sensor up or down). Now you should be able to get the lower alternator bolt out. (I have an '04 xB).

Make a note of the orientation of the water pump before installing the new one. Be sure to clean and dry the mounting surface to the new pump, and the engine block. I didn't bother with the paper gasket that came with my new water pump. I decided to use some Permatex Blue RTV gasket maker instead. Apply a bead all the way around it, including the bolt holes. I waited for about 15 minutes for the gasket maker to get tacky, then carefully dropped the water pump into place. By knowing the orientation, I didn't have to guess, and make a mess of it. Finger tighten the 3 bolts and two nuts that hold the pump in place. Give it an hour, then come back and tighten it some more with a 10mm ratchet wrench. I replaced mine in the evening, so I let it dry overnight. It takes 24 hours to fully cure. In the morning I tightened it just a little more and that was it.

When putting the alternator back on, insert only the lower bolt first, but keep it a little loose so you can pivot the alternator back (It will be much easier to put the alternator belt over all the pulleys when it's like this). Then bolt the upper bracket for the alternator to the block. You may need to use a narrow pry bar or something like that to rotate the alternator forward to get that last bolt into place.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely needs to be a Sticky. Compared to other cars, even the xB, information like this is very scarce for the xA. Thanks for taking the time to make this.

P.S. We need a Thumbs up Smiley.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great! I'm glad you got some use out of this @Ford_Falcon and thanks for your added details. I was beginning to wonder if it was worth the effort, because it has been over a month without a single reply or "welcome to the forums" lol.
I have an 04 xA i did not have to remove the airbag sensor, just disconnected the negative battery cable. Also I used the paper gasket with no RTV. (personal preference)It was instant and I hate trying to clean that stuff up later or if i have to redo it a hundred thousand miles down the road. It will seal any imperfections or rough surfaces though very good . Another way of doing it is to coat both sides of your paper gasket with a very thin coat of silicone RTV and install it in 10 minuets. maybe I will put more in the write up.

Your welcome @Archangel1183 . I dont think I can sticky anything I can't even get a pic next to my name yet, lol. If the Administrator would like to sticky this, go for it, I can see it would be much appreciated! Ill see about the smiley and thumbs up also..

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciota
I was beginning to wonder if it was worth the effort, because it has been over a month without a single reply or "welcome to the forums" lol.
This forum is really Slow. xA's aren't as Trendy as other cars, and ironically, they are more popular amongst the older generation. I say ironically because Scion was meant to attract the younger generation.

Originally Posted by Sciota
Your welcome @Archangel1183 . I dont think I can sticky anything I can't even get a pic next to my name yet, lol. If the Administrator would like to sticky this, go for it, I can see it would be much appreciated! Ill see about the smiley and thumbs up also..
I think only Admins can make sticky's anyway.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions

I followed these instructions last weekend to change my water pump. The pictures were incredibly helpful.

Thanks for putting this together. I wouldn't have been willing to try without detailed instructions like these.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-21-2020 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 10-27-2012, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the great info and pics! I am in the middle of replacing my original 228,000 mile water pump and was contemplating the unbolting of the engine mount to get the old one out and now I have conformation!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

I'm glad you guys are getting some usefulness out of this and you can save some extra $$$ .

I will try to keep posting DIYs on here but my xA never seems to have any problems!

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-21-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member

Great DIY, always helpful, no matter how simple it seems!!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member

going after my water pump this weekend, thanks for the great writeup!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member

This is an AWESOME tutorial! I was just about to take my 2006 xA to have the water pump replaced but after I read your tutorial I decided to tackle it myself. Success!
The pictures you posted are fantastic!

Great job, and thanks!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-21-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 10-19-2013, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All tutorials are helpful, but of course the only people who will seek it out are those who are having water pump issues and want to DIY.
The pictures are great and give insight into what you need to do.

I'm just replacing belts on an xB and I found this useful.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-21-2020 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 01-20-2014, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scotia, thank you very much for an excellent tutorial. Normally handy but degree of effort seemed a bit much for an old man! After reading your posting, I was confident of making an attempt.
Worked out completely following your step by step instructions. Great and thank you! My Salsa Red '06 xA with 184,000 miles thanks you as well.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-21-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge and U.S. Navy icon
Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great DIY Props to you
Old 04-20-2014, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Thank You!

I just replaced the water pump in my 2006 xB.
Thanks to your tutorial there was minimal swearing involved.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-21-2020 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 05-20-2014, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've attempted twice now with two different wrenches to get at that lower alternator bolt. long handled hinged socket wrench but handle/socket bumps water pump pulley and wont go on fully and also a racheting closed end wrench. only get it on from lower front grill approach but no torque to it. Any suggestions on type of wrench you're all using successfully?

dealer wants $200 to replace belts and $500 to do water pump. Only thing holding be back is that darned lower alternator bolt.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recall that I loosened it with a socket and ratchet, and either a 3" or 1.5" extension (forget which).
Old 05-27-2014, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member

hey dave, just did mine tonight. assuming you removed the alternator, that bottom bolt is actually pretty easy. i used a 10mm ratcheting wrench (straight gearwrench). i was able to reach underneath and feel the bolt, slip the wrench down there and turn it out. granted, with the small space, you're only able to turn the bolt 1/8th turn at a time. it takes a while, but it's not difficult. good luck brother.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Gearwrench

I think I was using a gear wrench, unhinged for that one. Whatever gear type wrenches you use, they should be the thinner ones, like the original gear wrench brand.

WOW they want $500 to do the water-pump at the dealer? That's $250.00 an hour If I opened a shop........
Old 01-28-2015, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

can you please suggest a starter gear wrench set that is recommended and reasonably priced for these sorts of jobs?

Last edited by caliscion83; 01-28-2015 at 07:02 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY: Water Pump Replacment Tutorial - ( Scion XA & others 1.5L Engine) Instructions