Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Perrin Pulley Installation Guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those who did this, the alt bolt on top is easy but the one on the bottom is directly below the top one. Correct?

Second, is it required to have both bolts on the PS pulley loose or just the one on the bottom.

I think I'm a wuss cause those bolts are on there tight as a frogs as$!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hattrick said,
"I think I'm a wuss cause those bolts are on there tight as a frogs as$!!!"

hope this wasn't a personal remark
Old 04-23-2006, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by frogbox
hope this wasn't a personal remark
I should have known that there would be a frog on SL somewhere.

I finished the Perrin Pulley install and I went for a drive of about 13 miles. It doesn't make any major increase in "ummfff" but it does help going up hills and such; which is what I was looking to accomplish. I'm not entirly sure it is worth the all the clams, but it is nice.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just installed today as well, she doesn't give much umphf compared to my intake & exhaust, but it helps a bit on the freeway, kinda eliminates the lag you feel.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Psyco565
...compared to my intake & exhaust...
Psyco565, did you measure your mpg pre & post intake\exhaust install? I'm asking because I absolutely didn't get my box for power, more so for energy conservation. (and the fact it is so dang cool! )
Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heh, I really have never paid attention to my mpgs, I love to drive spiritedly around the back roads. My car is deffinately fun factor all over it. I guess it would help a little, it was crazy how much heavier the stock pulley was when you hold them both. And usually when you slap a intake and exhaust on, you'll want to drive around fast with the windows down just loving to hear it.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

before breaking the alternator adjustment bolts i match marked the alternator against that adjustment bracket. it moved about an 8th inch. i could not get it back to the original position. will it be a problem?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member

This looked like a fairly straightforward mod but I can't figure out

1) how do you get the crank pulley from turning when you try to wrench it...the tech post says a screw driver betwenn the puley spokes...not doing it for me

2) How do you get to the PS pulley tensioner bots? Any suggestions on type of wrench? Is it possibe to take the crank pulley off without loosenling the PS belt?

Any tips would be appreciated. Most people seem to relate that this is an easy install, but after spending a few hours on this I am ready to ask a dealer to do it for me!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have major problem getting the crank pulley off today even with power tool. I also notice there's a tiny mark on the stock Crank Pulley, what's it for? I don't see this mark on the Perrin unit. Any1 knows how much I need to torque down the crank pulley bolt after installation? Thanks
Old 06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wooish
I have major problem getting the crank pulley off today even with power tool. I also notice there's a tiny mark on the stock Crank Pulley, what's it for? I don't see this mark on the Perrin unit. Any1 knows how much I need to torque down the crank pulley bolt after installation? Thanks
I saw the same mark on mine - even though I couldn't get the thing off. Don't know what it's for. I am ready to give up on this one - this is not an easy install for the weekend warrior IMO!

Anyone want to buy mine - Silver, new in box!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MickMCD

1) how do you get the crank pulley from turning when you try to wrench it...the tech post says a screw driver betwenn the puley spokes...not doing it for me
If it's a manual trans, put it in gear with the parking brake on tight. If auto, I have no idea.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SkyonXa
Originally Posted by MickMCD

If it's a manual trans, put it in gear with the parking brake on tight. If auto, I have no idea.
Thanks - I actually emailed Perrin Tech and they suggested the same - putting it into 5th gear - I had tried putting it in first but didn't think of 5th. Still don't know about the PS tensioner, but will give it another try with a socket extension.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:04 PM
ASC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Questions: will an impact wrench socket fit between the crankshaft bolt and the inner fender wall? Or do you need a socket U-joint? How big is that gap between the crankshaft bolt and the fender wall? In the other pictures, it doesn't look like the crankshaft bolt is lower than the fender wall, so it seems like an impact wrench couldn't get in there.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member
N.G.S.O.

Default Cost?

If I decide this is too much to handle what should I expect to pay to have a tuner shop install it for me?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's easy to install. took me 45 min.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is worth doing this if u have an auto?
Old 09-02-2006, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

playaz, its worth it, i c it as , if you add an intake / header / exhuast you and some hp but adding the pulley you free up new and base hp.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member

Suggestion for craking the crank bolt loose. Crack it loose before you lossen the blet or take ot off. The extra drag helps to keep the engine from turning over. You can check to see id you can have a buddy jam one of the pully from the top while you break the crank bolt loose. I have had to deal with this on many cars and its always a pain, good luck.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member
N.G.S.O.

Default Ok...so I've got the Perrin...what's up with the Keyhole?

I went to my Toyota dealer to see what was involved in istalling the pulley...

I showed the mechanic the new Perrin Pulley & he had a puzzled expression as he looked at it. He said there is no "keyhole" to "lock it in place"...

He also said there was no "rubber ring" to "harmonically balance the pulley". I know that our cars (xA & xB) are NOT harmonically balanced from what I've read here on Scionlife.

I'm thinking this guy has not done a pulley install on our cars yet. But he suggested calling Perrin to make sure all the parts are present. I'd like to know what is up before I call Perrin...

With what I've heard about peoples pulleys falling off I'd rather have the dealer or another shop do it since it's only an hours labor for cost $$$.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you (and the Toyota mechanic) take a closer look at your pulley you should see a small hole right next to the larger hole in the center of the pulley. This does the same job as a keyway on other pulleys. This is also where most of the people that have had issues with aftermarket pulleys have had their problems. (Not that this is a large number.) The standard pin can shear. But different people have found creative ways to address it.

And you correct on the fact that the 1NZ-FE is internally balanced and does not require external balancing or dampening.

Quick Reply: Perrin Pulley Installation Guide